'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Comments

• lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Caspeia wrote: »
    I need to join this challenge!
    I have a lot of unread books... so many that instead of reading some/getting rid of some when there was too much to keep in my cupboard, I got a custom built unit in my livingroom instead :o
    Even that is too full now and I had to buy a new TV stand that has cupboard space underneath. Ive spent hundreds of pounds just to store my books :o
    I would like to clear these so I could actually use them for storing the kids toys

Get yourself set up on Goodreads and set yourself a challenge for this year. I do this and it's quite motivating seeing you get closer to 100% of your goal :)
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Hello, can I join? I've got lots of books which I've bought over the years and not read :o

I'm currently reading the Oxord Murders by Guillermo Martinez and loving it
    One of my favourite books:j. Picked up on a whim from my mobile library van before the TV series was even heard of. I'm so glad I did. I didn't go on to watch the TV series as I've learned from experience that a dramatization often bears no resemblance to the book it was based on:(.
    Totally agree, I like reading the book after I've watched the programme, but I hardly ever enjoy it the other way round. I've not read Big Little Lies but I did love the series -I under stand the original was Australian so the move to California would have been a huge change for a start!

We've just cancelled Sky (after years of badgering my OH that it's a waste of money :j) so won't be able to watch the second series or I'll need to put my money where my mouth is and buy the DVD (I pointed out many, many times that buying the DVDs of the few series we watch would cost s lot less than the £83.50 per month we were spending :j:eek::eek:)
    Sorry, I never used them myself. Always intended to and then when I eventually got round to it they'd closed down:(

Is BookCrossing (I think that's the right name) still on the go? It's not a swap site though, just leaving books for others to find and enjoy.

I used to sell books (and buy lots too:o) on GreenMetropolis but that too went out of business a while back.

Good luck in finding somewhere:beer:

I had a big clear out last year and did quite well selling old books and DVDs on Music Magpie, Ziffit and another one beginning with Z which I can't remember right now :o - I found it pays to put the bar code of each item in all the pages as prices vary hugely, at first i did actually double the total I made by doing this but towards the end I often had to settle for lower prices just to make the minimum sale amount - I made about £200 overall though which went off a credit card :j
  • Hopeless_Case
    I've not read back through the thread, so this might already have been discussed, but one thing which really helped me with the impulse buy was the Amazon wish list.

I got into the habit of putting them there rather than buying them straight away, and I've now got a list of hundreds of books, most of which I have no idea why I even wanted them :rotfl:, but sadly I've got a few like that lurking in my bookcase too which I did actually buy on an impulse :o
  • FaceHeelTurn
    FaceHeelTurn Posts: 70 Forumite
    I'd love to join this challenge! Like everyone else here, I'm a bit of a compulsive book/comic buyer despite having shelves full at home!
    I've not read back through the thread, so this might already have been discussed, but one thing which really helped me with the impulse buy was the Amazon wish list.

I got into the habit of putting them there rather than buying them straight away, and I've now got a list of hundreds of books, most of which I have no idea why I even wanted them :rotfl:, but sadly I've got a few like that lurking in my bookcase too which I did actually buy on an impulse :o

That's a great idea, I must try it! It's funny how your tastes change over time regarding what genres you read.

At the minute I'm reading 'The Odessa File' by Frederick Forsyth. It's a bit of a slog and not really my type of book but my partner's dad lent me it and I kinda feel obliged to read it :)
    Debts: CC1: [STRIKE]£1675.83[/STRIKE] £2269.40 CC2: [STRIKE]£3209.11[/STRIKE] £707.56 CC3:[STRIKE]£704.04[/STRIKE] £235.69 OWE PARTNER: £0
    2020 1% Challenge:
  • Hopeless_Case
    I'd love to join this challenge! Like everyone else here, I'm a bit of a compulsive book/comic buyer despite having shelves full at home!

That's a great idea, I must try it! It's funny how your tastes change over time regarding what genres you read.

At the minute I'm reading 'The Odessa File' by Frederick Forsyth. It's a bit of a slog and not really my type of book but my partner's dad lent me it and I kinda feel obliged to read it :)

Someone lent me Kabul Beauty School and I feel the same, I don't really fancy it but feel I should read it as it was kindly meant!
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm still plodding through the lastest Game of Thrones saga but I'm getting there....

I've crumpled and bought a book: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

I've been listening to it on YouTube but it just doesn't seem to go in the same way information does when I'm reading it.

I was buying the audiobook version for someone as a present and I ended up ordering myself the book as well. It's one of the bibles of personal finance and was less than a fiver.

Am I forgiven?!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• InaPickle wrote: »
    I'm still plodding through the lastest Game of Thrones saga but I'm getting there....

I've crumpled and bought a book: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

I've been listening to it on YouTube but it just doesn't seem to go in the same way information does when I'm reading it.

I was buying the audiobook version for someone as a present and I ended up ordering myself the book as well. It's one of the bibles of personal finance and was less than a fiver.

Am I forgiven?!

Definitely forgiven :D:D

I'm still on the Oxford Murders, got to a slow bit and hardly read any for days (a discussion about maths which is away from the main plot, and which I'm struggling to follow :eek:), might have to skim until I get back to the good bits :o
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Definitely forgiven :D:D

I'm still on the Oxford Murders, got to a slow bit and hardly read any for days (a discussion about maths which is away from the main plot, and which I'm struggling to follow :eek:), might have to skim until I get back to the good bits :o

Thanks Hopeless Case! :D

I'm still plowing through the penultimate Game of Thrones...I'm about 2/3s of the way there.

And boo to the maths discussion - skim if you must! ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Does anyone listen to audio books? I just started a free trial on Audible yesterday (as part of a Swagbucks offer) and although I find my concentration sometimes drifts off, I've found it really relaxing. I don't think it would be worth the £7.99 per month for me though, so I'll likely cancel it after the free trial.

Swagbucks also seem to have an offer on Rakuten so I might try that one next month!
    Debts: CC1: [STRIKE]£1675.83[/STRIKE] £2269.40 CC2: [STRIKE]£3209.11[/STRIKE] £707.56 CC3:[STRIKE]£704.04[/STRIKE] £235.69 OWE PARTNER: £0
    2020 1% Challenge:
  • InaPickle wrote: »
    Thanks Hopeless Case! :D

I'm still plowing through the penultimate Game of Thrones...I'm about 2/3s of the way there.

And boo to the maths discussion - skim if you must! ;)
    :D I've finally skimmed it and thankfully I seem to be back onto the more interesting murder mystery :j
    Does anyone listen to audio books? I just started a free trial on Audible yesterday (as part of a Swagbucks offer) and although I find my concentration sometimes drifts off, I've found it really relaxing. I don't think it would be worth the £7.99 per month for me though, so I'll likely cancel it after the free trial.

Swagbucks also seem to have an offer on Rakuten so I might try that one next month!
    My OH pays the £7.99 a month, and he listens to them in the night if he can't sleep or is stressing about something, so it works for him, but I've never tried it myself
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback