Lufthansa Delayed Baggage - compensation?

Options
Hi,

My fiancee flew from USA to Ukraine, via Frankfurt - Both flights were operated by Lufthansa

Her baggage was delayed by around 5 hours - She had 2 checked in (one included with flight I think, and one additional that she paid $100 for). She had to wait in the sparse arrivals area in Kyiv until her baggage arrived.

Anybody else got successful compensation from something like this? We are happy to send a letter, but just wondered what we should say and whether it is worth it

Thanks in advance!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to clarify, she didn't actually incur any expenses as a result of the delayed baggage, so we aren't optimistic about there being a claim despite the long wait (after a year of not seeing her parents, this was of course quite emotional! But emotional doesn't mean legally entitled to compo)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I very much doubt that she will receive anything more than perhaps an apology from LH for a 5 hour delay for her baggage.

Was this wait her choice as most airlines will forward on luggage to you if it has been delayed?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    I very much doubt that she will receive anything more than perhaps an apology from LH for a 5 hour delay for her baggage.

Was this wait her choice as most airlines will forward on luggage to you if it has been delayed?

Agreed: I am sure that she will receive an apology; probably a few FF miles; perhaps even a token cash payment, but she has no right to anything.

Note that the delay was probably the fault of airport staff rather than the airline.

Should this ever happen again: the correct procedure is to see a baggage agent BEFORE LEAVING THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA and complete a form called a Property Irregularity Report. In most destinations the airline will then arrange home delivery for you; in some countries you need to return to the airport to collect later.
  • pablakeman
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think she 'chose' to wait because she had just lived in the USA for a year, so she pretty much had all her belongings. She was also told that her baggage was on the next flight, so I guess the logical thing to do is just wait as she also wanted to make sure both her bags were there.

I think we will send a letter just to explain and maybe get some compo, but as you all said, not entitled to anything. Thanks!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    when baggage is delayed on the journey, the airline will generally reimburse for essential items purchased during the delay. I assume she did not purchase items when she was waiting so nothing to be reimbursed.
    Does her travel insurance cover anything for baggage delays?
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can usually claim on most travel insurance policies for this although wasn't a long baggage delay really so not sure if they would cover it
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From a service recovery position it perhaps would have been nice for LH ground agent to have offered a voucher for coffee/refreshments whilst she waits for the next flight and her baggage.

I really don't see this is something an insurance claim would pay out on as there has been no loss.

If she writes to LH there will be an apologetic reply but I think you have to ask if it is worth it. I doubt any compensation. Somethings you have to just chalk up to experience when you travel and move on to then just enjoy the trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure