Needle felting

Anyone do this? It doesn't look too difficult.

Comments

• Anyone do this? It doesn't look too difficult.

I’ve tried dry felting but not wet. And only flat pieces, no 3D animals which seem to be popular. It’s fun, a little monotonous at times if you’re doing a large section, and a bit repetitive in terms of hand/wrist aches. Easy to pick up though.

Enjoy!

AA
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Anyone do this? It doesn't look too difficult.

I have done a couple of needle felted pictures. I use a single needle, though you can quicken the process by using six needles together in a gadget. I start by laying out the background on a piece of net curtain or other loosely woven fabric, about six layers crisscrossing, in colours of your choice. Finishing with smaller pieces for the detail on the top. I put this on a piece of thick foam, and bodge away, for a long time. More wool can be added, if you make a mistake you can peel wool off and re position it.

It does take a lot of bodging, the wool is felted by the barbs on the needle. You can bodge while watching the TV, but don't stick your finger. I finish off with lots of embroidery over the top of it, then frame it.

You can also make small felted animals, not my thing. Plenty of youtube vids. The wool can be a bit expensive if you want a good variety of colours.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am new to sewing (wantng to try a new hobby for 2018).
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a free bunny rabbit pattern, preferably one with a gusset in the head to make it more dimensional. I have very basic sewing skills (and I mean basic lol) but want to try something new without ploughing too many pennies into it in case I don't enjoy it/am rubbish.
    TIA x
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I went to a free workshop once where we got to try this. I think it took me an hour to make a small ball the size of a pea. I could probably have bought 10 in a bag for £1 on ebay :)

It's clearly not my thing.
  • I do this. I am not an expert but can make a bear in about an hour. Its really easy to do if you are used to doing fiddly things with your hands. You have to concentrate though because it really hurts when you stab yourself!
  • Robots
    Robots Posts: 76
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Wedding Day Wonder
    Forumite
    Hobbycraft has a few starter kits for around £3-5 each - llama, giraffe, etc. They're great for beginners as they use a polystyrene shape to felt onto which is easier than shaping yourself when a newbie :)
    Veteran gamer and clean freak :kiss:
  • it looks like a great idea to start needle felting
  • I recently started needle felting, and I love it.
    obviously there is a degree of skill involved in better experienced hands, but as a beginner, it's simple and satisfying, and you can easily produce better models than you expected.
    I'm very proud of my early attempts
  • I tried it in November and fell in love! 
    Not so difficult with practice (and a lot of stabbed fingers), just keep at it and find what you want to make.
    I personally make jewellery and loved it so much I even started an Etsy shop  :)
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you like a craft with quick results this could be for you.
    Like all hobbies or work there are occupati9nal hazards.  some people have allergies to wool and the dust poking it might bring and some have hand problems from repetitive actions.
    there are some great Facebook groups for tips and inspirations like this one -(the original needlefelting U.K. Facebook group). https://www.facebook.com/groups/260412470817994/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback