Solicitors asking about drainage

Hello,
We have recent sold our house and received an email from the buyer solicitor asking questions about drainage. They asked have we a private pipe in our garden and access to it. We looked at the deeds both water and foul water drain to public sewers, we cannot find a manhole cover anywhere in the garden.
Not sure why they are asking for this I would assume it would come up in the searches?

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:14PM
    Our buyers asked the same thing. Apparently their searches had not shown up that we connected to mains sewerage. They had also asked their survey to look into too. He told me its quite a common request, pleople like to know where the drains run and accessibity for maintenance/ unblocking
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 August 2018 at 9:47PM
    When you say you sold your house, do you mean you have moved out now and are living elsewhere ?
    Or is this part of the sales process and you haven't exchanged yet ?

If the latter and you don't know I'd just respond "don't know"
  • Sib2018
    Sib2018 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Sales process not exchanged yet, checked our deeds no manhole shows on the map in our garden and states foul water and rain waters runs into public sewer. Wife called our solicitor today they seemed happy with info we photographed part in the deeds and emailed it across.
  • Sib2018
    But there are what look like manhole covers in the road, and one to rear land of property. We are in semi detached property at the moment.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just say you don't know the answer, that's what I did.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yeh, these questions are pretty much boiler plate and they ask them irrespective*, if you dont know, just put "dont know" which as per Tom I did on a bunch of questions when i sold a house in 2014. Dont bust a gut trying to find out the answers to stuff people likely dont care about, wait until someone gives a reason why they need to know, and then if its a valid reason, then investigate.

* there was one poster recently who kept being asked for the gas safety certificate for his electric oven !
  • Sib2018
    Solictor emailed today asking has drainage issue been completed, have replied back with we are unaware of any drainage issue?????
    Not quite sure what they are asking for and for them to clarify.
    Has anyone got any ideas just seems they tend to go other certain question a few times.
  • Sib2018
    Drainage issue appears to be fine. Bit of an update we have been told to make appointment to go in to solicitors to sign contracts.
    But environmental search has come back contamination report risk. The house we are buying is near petrol station we are not going to sell it in the future as have no intention of moving again after this purchase.
    Trouble is could we even be moving at all as this looks like the move is dead spanner thrown in the works.
    Am worried now as it feels like months of time have been wasted for nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure