PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite

That story says sales have been low for 10yrs... Yet in those 10yrs house prices have continued to rise.. So are you trying to say volumes really have no influence on house prices? Well done Crashy, you have just posted a random link that actually contradicts your own argument...

Maybe read more than just the headline next time....
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    That story says sales have been low for 10yrs... Yet in those 10yrs house prices have continued to rise.. So are you trying to say volumes really have no influence on house prices? Well done Crashy, you have just posted a random link that actually contradicts your own argument...

Maybe read more than just the headline next time....

House prices and volumes are just a function of credit availability, interest rates and sentiment. House prices (averages) have continued to rise while less people can (or want to) buy a house and less people can sell a house. What a wonderful system you are cheerleading! :T If you believe rates will stay low forever why not go large on the debt, buy another few houses?
  • buggy_boy
    House prices and volumes are just a function of credit availability, interest rates and sentiment. House prices (averages) have continued to rise while less people can (or want to) buy a house and less people can sell a house. What a wonderful system you are cheerleading! :T If you believe rates will stay low forever why not go large on the debt, buy another few houses?

Thats like saying Ferrari's high prices are a function of credit availability, interest rates and sentiment, you could say that about anything, the difference is people need a house..

What your basically moaning about is capitalism, while its not perfect go live in North Korea and see how great that is.

I never said rates will stay low forever, only a fool would think that but when they do rise any rise will be slow... I dont need to go highly geared, 7yrs ago while you were predicting a house price crash I bought at the low after the crash... Where as you decided to rent and wait for the crash... Now your just bitter and twisted...
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    House prices (averages) have continued to rise while less people can (or want to) buy a house and less people can sell a house.

Why do you keep making false statements? It is a simple and provable fact that more people (33% more!) are buying houses not "less"; I even posted links to the official stats.
    If you believe rates will stay low forever why not go large on the debt, buy another few houses?

Perhaps because most people buy a house as a home, not as an investment. It's primarily you and your HPC buddies who are obsessed with the investment potential of property and look at the sorry state that that has left you in!
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Thats like saying Ferrari's high prices are a function of credit availability, interest rates and sentiment, you could say that about anything, the difference is people need a house..

What your basically moaning about is capitalism, while its not perfect go live in North Korea and see how great that is.

I never said rates will stay low forever, only a fool would think that but when they do rise any rise will be slow... I dont need to go highly geared, 7yrs ago while you were predicting a house price crash I bought at the low after the crash... Where as you decided to rent and wait for the crash... Now your just bitter and twisted...

Most U.K properties are not Ferrari`s, and most people buying Ferrari`s won`t be troubled by rising interest rates ;)
  • Crashy_Time
    Why do you keep making false statements? It is a simple and provable fact that more people (33% more!) are buying houses not "less"; I even posted links to the official stats.

Perhaps because most people buy a house as a home, not as an investment. It's primarily you and your HPC buddies who are obsessed with the investment potential of property and look at the sorry state that that has left you in!

Why are we still on emergency interest rates?
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why are we still on emergency interest rates?

The "emergency interest rate cut" to 0.25% was a direct response to the Brexit result so I guess we're still on it due to the continuing uncertainty? Everyone knows we'll be worse off after Brexit, we just don't know how much we'll all be worse off...
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Crashy_Time
    The "emergency interest rate cut" to 0.25% was a direct response to the Brexit result so I guess we're still on it due to the continuing uncertainty? Everyone knows we'll be worse off after Brexit, we just don't know how much we'll all be worse off...

:rotfl:Good try. I meant the emergency interest rates we have been on for ten years, if the economy and housing market is doing so well why not properly raise rates? And look how the prediction of immediate collapse after Brexit worked out, and you think people should listen to Carney before getting into 100`s of thousands worth of debt for a house ? :rotfl:
  • buggy_boy
    Most U.K properties are not Ferrari`s, and most people buying Ferrari`s won`t be troubled by rising interest rates ;)

You have either totally missed the point or as per usual ignored it puts a massive hole in your logic.

Actually its often those with a posh car and big house etc that arguably will be hit by any interest rate rises as usually the posh car etc is on finance.

But again you are obsessed by this fabled interest rise, we have had basically 0.5% interest rates for 10yrs, its not likely that rates will rise very quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure