Sashybo - Back Again

Options

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Have you spoken to the gp/hv? Are you sure its colic and not silent reflux/reflux? It took 3 weeks and some scary incidents before youngests reflux was diagnosed. I think if it hadn't had been so severe it would have taken a lot longer!

Boo to the job :( Hope you get something sorted x
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Hidden, yes spoke to midwife & HV re the colic but my mum actually said to me today that it could be reflux as well as/rather than colic. So if he's still struggling I'll speak to the HV again.

My baby niece had really bad reflux until fairly recently but she kept throwing up after feeds whereas my DS is only sick if he takes his bottle too quickly or if we lie him down too soon after a feed.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    sashybo wrote: »
    Hi Hidden, yes spoke to midwife & HV re the colic but my mum actually said to me today that it could be reflux as well as/rather than colic. So if he's still struggling I'll speak to the HV again.

My baby niece had really bad reflux until fairly recently but she kept throwing up after feeds whereas my DS is only sick if he takes his bottle too quickly or if we lie him down too soon after a feed.

Definitely push if you feel its more than colic, like I say our experience wasn't nice but there where other things going on too. Although O was never sick, if you look at silent relux on nhs it will have the symptoms. Honestly despite her other issues once we had got it under control she was like a whole different baby. Even now if she's unwell and it causes a flare she turns into a devil :o until it's back under control x

Hope he settles soon be that colic or something else, nothing worse than feeling like you can't fix the discomfort instantly x
  • sashybo
    Options
    Thanks Hidden, will do. Had a bad night again last night, longest DS slept was 2 hours & then he was only taking an oz of his bottle before falling asleep again.:( So of course he was waking up more & more often. Poor wee soul was really sore.

DH took over fully from around 8am as I was so tired (he had been getting up & making the bottles during the night as well). He got DS dressed & changed and gave him his morning bottle while I got a bit of sleep.

We've been giving the baby colic drops but are trying a different brand now to see if it helps more, unsure if it will make a difference. Will try a warm bath & baby massage later and hope it helps.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    I don't want to be over bearing with my replies so please do tell me to back off if I come across too much.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad night :( If there is SR there we found infacol made it worse, colief worked okay but not perfectly as obviously the SR was there.

Is he sleeping with his head higher than his feet? You can wedges for under their mattress or blocks that stand under the feet when he goes into a cot. We still use her wedge now in her toddler bed. Keeping him upright for at least 30 mins after a feed, little and often feeds etc etc.
    We also found the car seat made her more uncomfortable but being in the carrycot of the pram with the Moses basket wedge made her settle well.

Remember you're doing everything you can and there is light at the end of the tunnel it will pass eventually xx
  • sashybo
    Options
    Thanks Hidden, your replies are very helpful. :)

We have propped the moses basket feet up at an angle using some books so that his head is higher than his feet - started doing this 3 nights ago & think it has helped a bit. Will look into a wedge for under his mattress as we could then use it when we move him into his cot (if necessary).

Have learned to keep him upright after feeds after a couple of projectile vomit incidents.:o He generally likes to graze with feeds so only takes a couple of oz at a time then has a break before having the rest.

DH & I gave him a bath earlier which he seemed to enjoy & then I tried some baby massage on his stomach & chest. Hopefully it has helped a bit.

Got some more info about my job role from a workmate - it's not just being moved, it's being done away with altogether & replaced with another job in the further away office.:(

The new role will have more responsibilities but the same money & in the further away office where the culture is one where you're expected to take breaks at your desk I.e. you don't get your break. :mad: So I'll not be applying for that job - they probably wouldn't be willing to give me a job share there anyway.

They're cutting at least 20 jobs from our office. :( Really not good, especially as I want to go part-time/job share. We can't afford for me not to go back to work. :( Trying not to panic but have no idea what I'll be going back to next year as it now appears that I won't have a job to go back to. :eek:
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    I know it's easy for me to say but please don't worry too much about the job. It's something you can't change, especially right now and what will be will be. Everything happen's for a reason even if we can't see the reason at the time.

Everything will work out x
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    You are very well protected from redundancy while on mat leave, but it doesn't sound like that's the concern, more that your job will have changed beyond all recognition. I hope you get some more info soon.

All my babies have been truly, spectacularly, terrible sleepers. You have my sympathy! No physical reason with any of them, but it's always worth investigating reflux/silent reflux.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • sashybo
    Options
    Thanks Hidden, I'm a terrible worrier & can worry about the most stupid things so something more concrete really gets me wound up even when I try not to get into a state. Had a good cry on DH last night & then had a really sore stomach (again with the worrying).

TOP I think you're right - I have no idea what they will offer me in place of my own job & that's what is really getting to me. I like my job, where I work & most of the people I work with, plus the office is really handy for me. I'm also worried because I won't be able to go back full time & will need part time hours so that will affect what they offer as well. They're saying there won't be any compulsory redundancies but if they offer me a job I don't want to do or can't do due to the baby I don't know how that works. We do have a union so will have to speak to them as well.

DS slept better last night - 2 hours then over 4 hours which was quite good but he was sore again in the afternoon. :(

Had the first night out with DH and without the baby tonight since the baby was born. Had a nice dinner & good to spend time with DH but we both felt a bit weird without DS! Had a few drinks, just hope baby has a decent night tonight. :o
  • sashybo
    Options
    We have had two decent nights in a row with the baby. :j We had switched from one brand of colic drops to another a few days ago but thought the new brand was making him worse so stopped giving him the medicine to see how he got on & he's been much better.:j Still have the moses basket tilted at an angle & are now trying a different brand of bottle to reduce air intake.

Still can't put him down for long without a lot of crying though & he does seem a bit constipated/has pain when trying to poo. :( Going back to the chiropractor tomorrow for my back/pelvis (still sore) and for baby to get another check.

It's DH's first day back at work tomorrow, so feeling a bit sad about that as was nice all being together for the last few weeks. Also feeling slightly panicked as will be on my own with the baby all day for the first time. :o

At least we're getting out to the chiropractor but then have to worry about the pram & the car seat and dealing with it all on my own. :eek: Used to DH being there to help me. I also haven't driven with the baby in the car yet so that will be super scary for me. :eek: Chiropractor is less than 10 mins away in the car so a nice short journey for our first excursion.

It's going to take me ages to get ready to leave the house tomorrow. :eek::o

The more I hear from workmates about the axing of our jobs the worse it sounds & the less I want to know. :( The job my job is being replaced with is further away, more hours, more responsibilities & we'll actually have a wage drop due to changes to work patterns I.e. less Sunday working, which is paid as overtime & has an extra payment on top. The union are already looking at it & have advised us of questions to ask but it sounds awful tbh.

I won't be applying for the new job as it's just a way the company have come up with to use us as cheap labour to cover the rubbish parts of another job where the people already doing it get paid 10k more. No thanks. :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback