PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• I'm using up the party food tonight that I had intended for New Year's Eve or day that didn't get used. I did buy some potato salad, some duck spring rolls & some crisps to go with it though.
    However I have just bought a huge turkey off my MIL as she had bought it for Xmas & it never got used & I know as she lies o her own she now didn't really want it so after it is cooked tomorrow there will be loads to go back in the freezer which is not so good.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maiden_Mum wrote: »
    I'm using up the party food tonight that I had intended for New Year's Eve or day that didn't get used. I did buy some potato salad, some duck spring rolls & some crisps to go with it though.
    However I have just bought a huge turkey off my MIL as she had bought it for Xmas & it never got used & I know as she lies o her own she now didn't really want it so after it is cooked tomorrow there will be loads to go back in the freezer which is not so good.
    Yes my freezer stash seems to be evergrowing. I take out something which takes up a wee space such as mince and use it to make something like chilli which then needs portions frozen LOL so I feel your pain...
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Moving house in 2 weeks so happily using what we have - only buying bread milk and fresh stuff from now on
    Living the simple life
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Out today
    Beef & gammon.

Nothing in and I turned my outside freezer off :j:j:j:j
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Today out of freezer
    packet of frozen filo pastry - all used
    piece of frozen gammon - used
    half a bag of frozen plums - used
    1 portion of frozen HM tomato soup - eaten
    3 frozen bread rolls - eaten
    2 portions frozen goats cheese - eaten

Out of fridge
    last of mushrooms
    3 x small leeks
    lettuce
    last 7 small tomatoes
    flora

out of cupboards
    1 tin of chunky soup
    last of custard powder
    oats, sugar

Nothing went into fridge, freezers or cupboards but I can't see any real space yet
  • caronc
    Also out of stores yesterday was a tin of Heinz Chicken & Sweetcorn soup. I'm partial to that one and it was the last in the cupboard so will replenish when they are on special offer. Garlic butter portioned and frozen last night and 1/2 a lurking red pepper, some mushrooms, a pink onion and sweet potato also used up. Making roast lamb today swithering between taking a portion of roasties out the freezer or making mash. If I make mash I'll do enough to make a shepherd's pie for tomrrow. Plan on using up some eggs, a couple of lurking rashers of streaky bacon and some mushroomsand baby plum tomatoes for brunch and will cook some savoy cabbage, carrots and use some frozen runner beans with dinner. Still can't find enough room in the freezer for the remaining stilton scones so I'll just have to eat them! My dad usually pops by on a Sunday morning so he'll no doubt snaffle a couple with a cuppa
  • Primrose wrote: »
    I also have so much home grown soft fruit that I've run out of ideas for using it up. We're not huge eaters of pudding desserts and eat mainly fresh fruit. I think I need to dispose of some of my soft fruit bushes or starting giving more of it away. We do make marmalade but eat very little jam.

I know what you mean. I have a small under the counter freezer in DH's workshop that contains mostly gooseberries and raspberries. I am going to get some out today and cook some to mix with the pack of frozen summer fruits I bought ( :o ) and my intention this year is to pre-cook and mix them so I can use them on my breakfasts next winter. I have frozen, cooked and even bottled them in the past but it is getting ridiculous. 4 varieties of gooseberry in the garden is excessive but seemed a good idea at the time!

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I know what you mean. I have a small under the counter freezer in DH's workshop that contains mostly gooseberries and raspberries. I am going to get some out today and cook some to mix with the pack of frozen summer fruits I bought ( :o ) and my intention this year is to pre-cook and mix them so I can use them on my breakfasts next winter. I have frozen, cooked and even bottled them in the past but it is getting ridiculous. 4 varieties of gooseberry in the garden is excessive but seemed a good idea at the time!

SL
    I have 2 redcurrant bushes, 2 blackcurrants and 3 gooseberries, 2 blackberries, and this summer the redcurrants fruited so prolifically I ended up leaving some on the bushes for the birds. I also have a strawberry bed. I also try and premix some of the soft fruit apart from the gooseberries for compotes and eating with porridge. Having a ready prepared mix encourages me to use it up more quickly. I also use the mixture set in jelly for a dessert. But apart from gooseberry fool, I find the gooseberries harder to use up so they tend to lurk & lurk !
  • caronc

SL
    I only have a rampant bramble patch which was very prolific this year so 7 bags stashed, ate loads and made bramble vodka as Christmas gifts. Gooseberry gin sounds as though it would be lovely and really easy to make. 1 litre cheap gin, 500g (or more) roughly chopped gooseberries. Let gooseberries steep in the gin for a couple of months shaking every so often, strain through fine cloth, add sugar syrup made from 200 ml water and 200g sugar , combine and shake well, taste after mixing as might need a bit more sugar if the gooseberries are very sharp. Shake every day for a couple of days then strain again and bottle. Ok to drink straight off but better left to mature for a couple of months.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a freezer full of home grown turkeys all jointed. All were over 20lb and some nearly 30lb. I hate to waste anything so today I'm going to use the back portion of one carcass.
    First it will go in the slow cooker with carrot, celery, herbs and leeks, then I'll assess how much usable meat there is for pies, turn the smaller bits and stock into soup and give the dog the skin and parsons nose (minus bones).
    These were the best tasting turkeys I have ever raised. I only had a small number, they were free range (but put to bed at night) loved fruit, apples, blackberries, plums, they had loads of room in an orchard and I let them have part of the veg plot, mainly cabbages and squashes/marrows, their commercial feed was organic so I want to do my best by them and not waste anything
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback