PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 8:09AM
    Options
    It's a bit of a trek up here GQ and they all live around 20 miles away. Only the younger son has a car, other one has a bike and daughter uses the bus. Might persuade the RV to nip out and get me a fish supper though ;)
    I was thinking of using the spare bedroom for a camp kitchen - what about water from the bathroom, either sink or bath - is that drinkable? Haven't got a microwave, might have to get one. And I can use the patio table & chairs that we never put out on the patio because it's either raining or blowing so hard they'd end up in Norway. At last a use for them :D
    Does anybody know if the cold water in the bathroom is from the mains?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) All the cold water in your home will be coming off the rising main, including the supply to your WC cistern, and will be potable. Don't drink from hot water supply, tho, not wise. A microwave isn't expensive and could be a useful preptastic item after the upgrade, giving an additional bit of flexibility if the leccy's on but the gas bottle's run out. If I'd got a touch more space, I'd replace my defunct microwave, but it isn't critical and I need the countertop badly.

I'm about to lose my front door! Got a workie here atm (he's been tea'd up, of course ;)) and he's about to detach my front door and replace it with a new one. Bit nervy being doorless in this dodgy neighbourhood but I'm going to be making soup. With a BIG knife in my hand, mwah ha ha!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    Options
    Nevermind the knife GQ - stand at the door with the bow n arrows!! That'll worry them!! Ok so it will seriously traumatise the joiner fitting the door too... but think of the story he'll have to tell :D:D
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Nevermind the knife GQ - stand at the door with the bow n arrows!! That'll worry them!! Ok so it will seriously traumatise the joiner fitting the door too... but think of the story he'll have to tell :D:D
    :p Bad Mad Arthur!

We're chilled and listening to some oldie radio station, classic rock. All good. It's taken me 50 minutes to carve up the biggest butternut squash from last autumn's harvest, this domestic malarkey is hard work, innit? Be glad to get back to w*rk tomorrow for a rest!:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you'll be happy with the new door GQ :)

DD and DSIL were meant to have a new kitchen in their HA house earlier this year, and were so pleased.
    When the people from the HA came to discuss it, DD was out but DSIL was home; he is registered blind, so he explained to them that the new kitchen would need to be configured exactly the same as the old one, otherwise he wouldn't be able to manage. They said that couldn't be done, because of Elf'n'safety. So DD and DSIL had to "reject" the new kitchen. I don't know what the safety problem was though. No one in the family has ever hurt themselves in that kitchen.
    I've suggested they ask for just a new sink unit, as that really does need replacing. DD said she'll think about that when she can face it :D
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Hope you'll be happy with the new door GQ :)

DD and DSIL were meant to have a new kitchen in their HA house earlier this year, and were so pleased.
    When the people from the HA came to discuss it, DD was out but DSIL was home; he is registered blind, so he explained to them that the new kitchen would need to be configured exactly the same as the old one, otherwise he wouldn't be able to manage. They said that couldn't be done, because of Elf'n'safety. So DD and DSIL had to "reject" the new kitchen. I don't know what the safety problem was though. No one in the family has ever hurt themselves in that kitchen.
    I've suggested they ask for just a new sink unit, as that really does need replacing. DD said she'll think about that when she can face it :D

Council did our kitchen, OH is blind, had no problem having it done the same way. Different areas must have different rules. Only thing moved was one light switch.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :( Sorry to hear about your family's troubles, ivyleaf.

I've twice turned down a new kitchen in this flat, although mine is 40 years old - well, the counters have been renewed in the last two decades, but that's the age of the cupboards. My reasoning is simple; they'd take two of my wall units away. One would go so they could put an extractor fan in its place. The fans are compulsory, although it would be right beside a window which is always ajar when I'm cooking. The other wall unit is apparently too close to the cooker space to be compliant with modern regs and wouldn't be 'allowed' now so would have nothing up that corner.

Since one cupboard holds all the crockery and the other all the food, and the other cupboards (a 6 ft run but only 11 inches deep) aren't adequate to hold my stuff, losing these two would make my domestic life virtually impossible. Kitchen is only 6 x 6 ft so there's very hard limits on what you can do with a space which also holds a stove, a w.m and a fridge.

You can't put a quart into a pint pot, and I speak as a Tetris Grandmistress, who can put all sorts of things into unlikely spaces - you'd be gobsmacked to see what I can pack into a car or a van.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If ever a situation called for prepping, having one's kitchen "done" definitely counts.
    We had two whole floors done, and left the team to it while I hauled the entire family (husband & then 3 under 10) around England, Scotland & Wales, Visiting Relatives. We got back after an exhausting three weeks to find water & power were intermittent as works continued & the builders were so afraid of accidentally damaging a toddler they "put us up" in a travel lodge for another week. Which will have dented their profit margin but taught us pretty much every meal you can make with boiling water & limited washing up facilities. The lads still love PotNoodle whereas I prefer a proper Spag Bol with all the flavours!

If it all starts getting distinctly rainy, I should apologise. I abided by St.Martin's advice, hit the poundshops for sunscreen (such as had any left) & have issued the chaps each with a tube of their own. Now we are equipped for sun, I foresee abundant rain.... (Happily all the winter coats have been washed & reproofed - hurrah for Nikwax.)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not all houses have all their cold water taps fed from the rising main. Our upstairs taps and loos were fed from a tank in the attic. Which sprang a leak. And which took a week before it could be replaced. Fortunately one loo downstairs is fed from the main and I had a shower at the gym
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    Options
    I haven't got an upstairs thank god mary. I can't do stairs.
    I lived without a cooker for 2 months when we moved to the last house - hauled a gas cooker 45 miles down here in a van only to find out that the village had no gas... so I fed 5 of us from a one-ring electric thing that had a tiny grill underneath. I found out just how many meals you can make in one pot :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure