DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. I haven't posted for a while as not much to report. Back in May last year I requested CCA's from our 6 creditors. 4 eventually complied and 2 did not. Haven't heard from them for over a year. In the mean time we have moved house. The 4 creditors who did comply are receiving a minimum £5 payment with a view to begin making full and final offers in the very near future.
    However at the beginning of the week I received a letter from Cabot. The letter had been redirected as they do not have our current address. The letter states they are unable to comply with the request and therefore the account is unenforceable.
    Standard letter saying they will still request we pay the outstanding balance. I just thought I would ignore the letter as we won't be paying anything. Since then I've had two phone calls , I've now blocked the number and then this morning a text asking me to contact them.
    Would you continue to ignore or write explaining we wont be paying as the debt is unenforceable. I really don't want to give them my new address.
    Any help much appreciated thanks
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Julie67 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Hope everyone is well. I haven't posted for a while as not much to report. Back in May last year I requested CCA's from our 6 creditors. 4 eventually complied and 2 did not. Haven't heard from them for over a year. In the mean time we have moved house. The 4 creditors who did comply are receiving a minimum £5 payment with a view to begin making full and final offers in the very near future.
    However at the beginning of the week I received a letter from Cabot. The letter had been redirected as they do not have our current address. The letter states they are unable to comply with the request and therefore the account is unenforceable.
    Standard letter saying they will still request we pay the outstanding balance. I just thought I would ignore the letter as we won't be paying anything. Since then I've had two phone calls , I've now blocked the number and then this morning a text asking me to contact them.
    Would you continue to ignore or write explaining we wont be paying as the debt is unenforceable. I really don't want to give them my new address.

Okay, in my view you can do one of two things. Block their number so they can't get through and ignore them, although do keep the UE confirmation in a safe place for future reference if needs be. Or you could write to them (and you don't need to give them your current address) stating the fact that as they have confirmed the account is no longer enforceable you will be prioritising those that are and will not be making any further payments.

The fact of the matter is that whilst the account is UE that doesn't mean they cant pursue you for payment via calls and/or letters - what they cannot do is take it to court. So I guess they are going all out to try and convince you to pay up (basically chancing their arm, as many appear to be doing these days).

Eventually they'll give up or perhaps in a year's time you might want to contact them with a very low F&F, just to draw a line under it. I've got 6 UEs and haven't paid any of them a penny since last July. We do get pestered by LINK from time to time, but we've just now blocked their number. They haven't complied with the request and have ignored several letters asking them to do so, so now I'm ignoring them :D
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi all,

Tell them in writing you wont be paying.
    They will soon get the message.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    will write once and then ignore
    cheers
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Suseka97
    will write once and then ignore
    cheers

Good do that and also remember that if, after 6 years, of no contact from you and/or acknowledgement of the debt it becomes statue barred anyway :)
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just want to thank everyone here.
    I've spoken to all 5 creditors about my situation and given them the stepchange reference number.

I was a wreck this time last week and I'm sure it won't all be butterflys and roses from here so I'm going to enjoy the sun today and think up ways to not spend money.

Hey, I was the same, mentally wrecked and red faced from tear stains.

Hope you're doing OK

Lots of Love

LL xx
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • Weakmoments
    Weakmoments Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi can anyone recommend where to get my credit agreements checked for enforceability?
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Sorry no idea how to quote. Weak moments. Depends where you are up to. If you are only just writing to ask if it's unenforceable there is a CCA template letter to send that asks for information to be sent to you with relevant information within so many days. debt line stepchange etc have copies of the letter on their website - or a more knowledgeable person will post a link. If you already have a response then I think there is forums on here to advise how to decipher. Again there are some friendly people in here who know the right answer. We've got seven debtors. Three are very recent so I've decided not to ask yet but four are finding paper work for me due to a CCA request to see if enforacble or not
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Weakmoments
    Weakmoments Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks I did the CCA request last year with PRA for an old EGG card. They said it was unenforceable but yesterday I received statements and was asked to call them. When they said they are now enforceable???
  • Suseka97
    Thanks I did the CCA request last year with PRA for an old EGG card. They said it was unenforceable but yesterday I received statements and was asked to call them. When they said they are now enforceable???

I don't believe a statement means its now enforceable, unless they've explicitly said so in a letter and have now provided you with paperwork that deems it so. Is that what you mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure