ESA & claiming carer's allowance for 2 people?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Perhaps it is just me but it seems odd to me that someone who needs care and that care allows for CA to be claimed by her husband could then be able to claim to be a carer for their daughter and also claim CA.
    Quite possible because if a person is claiming PIP for physical disabilities and the person they're claiming CA for has mental health problems, then it would work. Or vice versa. If a person is claiming CA for the same reasons they're claiming a disability benefit for then it doesn't seem right.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2017 at 1:18PM
    The fact that the mother has her own care needs doesn't automatically mean she is unable to help in the care of her daughter. She would need to show that she does have the capability, and a claim would be judged on its own merits.

Indeed, it isn't automatic that someone on DLA/PIP is forcibly incapable of being a carer to someone else, however, going by this forum, it's seems to be a given that as soon as someone is granted it CA should be claimed for them too.

CA is the most abused benefit. It's become the 'you get DLA/PIP, I can claim C'A benefit, rather than the 'you get DLA, I am already caring for you 35 hours more than I would if you were not claiming DLA' benefit.

Her claim wouldn't be judged. These are not scrutinised in any way, and they are not because investigating care is totally subjective, so defending a case in court would be almost impossible, and the cost of doing so would quickly override the benefit, so much easier to just hand it over as a bonus to a DLA claim.

OP, it sounds like you are having it really bad, so the above is not personal to you. I can understand that going from two jobs to your life revolving around your health and that of your family must be very hard, so not there to judge you. In the end, as the above, if you desperately need the money, you can claim it and you will receive it. Whether you are morally entitled to it, only you know the detail of you circumstances to know if you are.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The wife of a friend of mine has severe medical problems and claims DLA/PIP because of that. They also have two disabled children who the wife provides care for at home. The wife claims CA for one of the children and my friend claims CA for his wife. There is no fiddling of any sort going on. The wife isn't able to mobilise outside the house but adaptations mean she can care for the children fully within the home.
    That's just an example of where somebody can legitimately claim CA as a carer whilst somebody else is also claiming CA for them.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The wife of a friend of mine has severe medical problems and claims DLA/PIP because of that. They also have two disabled children who the wife provides care for at home. The wife claims CA for one of the children and my friend claims CA for his wife. There is no fiddling of any sort going on. The wife isn't able to mobilise outside the house but adaptations mean she can care for the children fully within the home.
    That's just an example of where somebody can legitimately claim CA as a carer whilst somebody else is also claiming CA for them.

That doesn't make any sense to me, unless I'm not reading it right.

To me, it looks like, despite having 'severe medical problems', the wife is perfectly capable of looking after herself and two disabled children so long as they are indoors. Presumably then, the husband claims CA for his wife on the basis that he 'cares' for her for at least 35 hours per week 'outside' the house. Is that what you're saying?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    No that's not what I'm saying. The wife does require assistance inside the house for certain aspects of life, but is still able to function enough to provide for the needs of the child. The husband has actually had to reduce his working hours which is how he is now able to claim CA himself.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    No that's not what I'm saying. The wife does require assistance inside the house for certain aspects of life, but is still able to function enough to provide for the needs of the child. The husband has actually had to reduce his working hours which is how he is now able to claim CA himself.
    And this is exactly why CA is really an extended benefit to PIP/DLA because how could you possible challenge the above?

Personally, I struggle to understand how, if you need help with washing, dressing, cooking, hearing or remembering things for 35 hours a week, you can actually provide safe additional care to young children. An adult with physical needs, maybe but young children?
  • Carers Allowance = one of the most abused benefits in the system. I think if somebody gets high rate care and somebody claims carers then the care element should be removed.
  • Hello if my partner get carers for me an i get esa could he claim income support or anything else please thanks
  • If my partner gets cares allowance for me .can he get income Suttport for him if I am on esa anyone know x
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Honey2k1 wrote: »
    If my partner gets cares allowance for me .can he get income Suttport for him if I am on esa anyone know x
    All areas are now full Universal credit so new claims for Income Support aren't possible. Are you claiming Contributions based ESA or Income related? If it's income related then you should be claiming this as a couple.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure