Where to buy the cheapest rimless glasses? Driving in the UK for the first time.

Hi!
I was wondering where I can buy cheap rimless glasses.
I can get serious headaches if my glasses put a lot of pressure on my temples, that's why I prefer rimless glasses as they have less metal/plastic components in contact with my temples/skin.
It's also important that I am able to check them before I buy them. Can I buy them online, check them at home and then return them if they do not fit me?
Any suggestion of a website/high-street?
I'll also start driving for the first time in July here in the UK, so any suggestion on any add on (anti-glare, tints, anti-scratch, etc) will be useful.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Obviously you cannot buy glasses, and return them if they do not fit, unless there is a fault.

Years ago a colleague bought some rimless glasses online. They sent her a box of demo samples to examine, she returned them, and ordered the ones she liked. I cannot remember the shop, but if you Google you should find them.

You really do need anti scratch coatings as plastic lenses are soft, and I’d recommend anti reflection coatings too. Online they cost peanuts, on the high street they cost more.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When buying rimless I would recommend a lens index of no less than 1.6 as anything less would be too brittle and likely to crack around where they drill the legs and bridge in over time, if not immediately. A 1.6 lens should come with anti reflective and anti scratch as standard as it's needed for good optics through the lens.

Some places will give you a polycarbonate lens in a rimless, this would get around the cracking in a standard 1.5 lens but the optics in a polycarbonate are rubbish and would be difficult to tolerate, unless you're used to it because you wear safety glasses at work. A polycarbonate wouldn't always have coatings as standard.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jhon_53 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I can get serious headaches if my glasses put a lot of pressure on my temples, that's why I prefer rimless glasses as they have less metal/plastic components in contact with my temples/skin.
    It's also important that I am able to check them before I buy them. Can I buy them online, check them at home and then return them if they do not fit me?
    I'll also start driving for the first time in July here in the UK, so any suggestion on any add on (anti-glare, tints, anti-scratch, etc) will be useful.
    Thanks in advance!

In the past my when my OH had single vision lenses he tried on glasses in store, noted the model, then found them cheaper online.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Specsavers give you the ability to wear and then exchange glasses - I think it is 90 days. I went in when mine had a bit of trim fall off and they gave me a new pair of frames, no quibble.

Personally I like the fact they do lifetime adjustments etc - I have taken old pairs in for an overhaul so I prefer to get a deal from them and get my specs properly fitted to my head instead of ordering frames online and not being able to get earpiece adjustments, try new nose pads etc.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi!
    Thanks in advance!

Strange. My specs don't touch my temples at any point
  • BananaRepublic
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    When buying rimless I would recommend a lens index of no less than 1.6 as anything less would be too brittle and likely to crack around where they drill the legs and bridge in over time, if not immediately. A 1.6 lens should come with anti reflective and anti scratch as standard as it's needed for good optics through the lens.

Some places will give you a polycarbonate lens in a rimless, this would get around the cracking in a standard 1.5 lens but the optics in a polycarbonate are rubbish and would be difficult to tolerate, unless you're used to it because you wear safety glasses at work. A polycarbonate wouldn't always have coatings as standard.

Good point about needing a higher index plastic, although most online shops will only recommend higher index lenses for rimless specs. But your comments on polycarbonate are ill informed nonsense. Optically polycarbonate is excellent but it can suffer stress fractures around drill holes unless they are sealed, so in my view poly is best avoided for rimless glasses. It is not good for high prescriptions due to the Abbe value, in plain English you might see colour fringing.
  • jhon_53
    jhon_53 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    katsu wrote: »
    Specsavers give you the ability to wear and then exchange glasses - I think it is 90 days. I went in when mine had a bit of trim fall off and they gave me a new pair of frames, no quibble.

Personally I like the fact they do lifetime adjustments etc - I have taken old pairs in for an overhaul so I prefer to get a deal from them and get my specs properly fitted to my head instead of ordering frames online and not being able to get earpiece adjustments, try new nose pads etc.

Hi thanks for the reply.
    Did you buy your Specsavers glasses in store or online?
  • jhon_53
    First Anniversary
    Hi!

Thank you all for your answers.

Just to recap:

1) I need anti-scratch and anti-reflection coatings.
    2) Better to buy them online than in high-street (Best option: Try glasses in store, note the model, then find them cheaper online).
    3) A lens index of no less than 1.6 is ideal, and it should come with anti-scratch and anti-reflection coatings as standard.
    4) Polycarbonate lens in a rimless is not ideal as they are likely to crack in a standard 1.5 lens.
    Polycarbonate is best avoided for rimless glasses as they can suffer stress fractures around drill holes unless they are sealed.
    Also, a polycarbonate wouldn't always have coatings as standard.
    5) Specsavers will give me the chance to return them if something goes wrong. Plus, they do lifetime adjustments.

So, a few questions regarding:

Number 2 – Where can I buy them online on the cheapest price possible?
    Number 4 – If polycarbonate is best avoided for rimless glasses, which other materials are best then?
    Number 5 – Are there others companies that allow returns like Specsaver?
  • jhon_53
    First Anniversary
    Good point about needing a higher index plastic, although most online shops will only recommend higher index lenses for rimless specs. But your comments on polycarbonate are ill informed nonsense. Optically polycarbonate is excellent but it can suffer stress fractures around drill holes unless they are sealed, so in my view poly is best avoided for rimless glasses. It is not good for high prescriptions due to the Abbe value, in plain English you might see colour fringing.

This is my recent prescription:
    Sph Cyl Axis
    R -1.25 -0.75 170
    L -0.50 -1.00 5

Which is the best type of material for this prescription?
  • BananaRepublic
    This is my recent prescription:
    Sph Cyl Axis
    R -1.25 -0.75 170
    L -0.50 -1.00 5

Which is the best type of material for this prescription?

I don’t know but it is a low prescription so you don’t need to pay lots for very high index lenses. I have -1 and - 2 diopters spherical correction, and I have polycarbonate in one ‘frame’, and a basic ~1.56 index plastic with AR and hard coatings in another. I cannot see any difference optically between the two even though the poly are Zeiss lenses with Lotutec coatings ie high end, and the others are cheap online lenses from Select Specs. One might expect the Zeiss to be more durable, time will tell. I think there’s a lot of marketing smoke and mirrors in this industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure