Painkillers - prescription

Hi all

Have an unusual question and wonder if anyone can help.!

I am a UK citizen, based in the UK, and have a long term chronic pain condition for which I was prescribed tramadol in tablet form in the past by my GP. However the new GP is no longer as amenable, but nothing else is as effective.!

Last week, I went to Spain where tramadol is not illegal without prescription - at least, some pharmacists will supply small quantities of it without one - and I went to a number of them, meaning that I ended up with some hundreds of tablets in my luggage. It's so much cheaper there and all I wanted was to bring a few months supply back with me for my own use.!

However, on returning to the UK, it got confiscated from me by UK Border Force officials at the airport - first time I've ever been stopped!!

I want to ask for it back from them and just wondered if anyone on this forum had had any experience of a situation like this?

Thanks in advance!

D

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,272
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As it is a schedule 3 controlled drug in the UK then you need to prove it has been prescribed to you.

If you were trying to bring more than 3 months worth in then you will need a licence.

I doubt if you will be able to get it back.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,866
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Drs don't like prescribing tramadol long term, you will need to try a combination of different meds to see what works.

You also won't be able to get the confiscated ones back as above explained.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,527
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you had the honest conversation with your GP as to why they feel it's no longer appropriate for you?
    It's not about them not being amenable, it's about their clinincal judgement and the specific concerns they have. Trying to bring hundreds back is not going to be the best way to allay that concern.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does your hospital have a Pain Clinic? If so, ask for a referral.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2019 at 10:38AM
    It is a good job you didn't stop in some other countries , eg in Egypt a British woman served time in prison taking tramadol tablets into the country. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/24/british-woman-laura-plummer-jailed-egypt-tramadol-possession-appeal-conviction

They are illegal in many countries as they are seen as a gateway drug to illegal drug use as they are an opioid and addictive. In this country they are a class c drug , in other words it is illegal to have them without a prescription https://www.talktofrank.com/drug/tramadol#the-law
    They are used illegally in this country and you are lucky you were not investigated for drug dealing.

Just because you can buy drugs abroad without a prescription does not mean it is a safe thing to do or legal to bring them home.

Antibiotic resistance , which could mean people dying from minor scratches and illnesses, is partly increasing because of antibiotics being freely available to buy over the counter in several countries.

If you need a medication it will be prescribed for you. Pain is a difficult thing to prescribe long term for. You should seek referral to a pain clinic.
  • brook2jack wrote: »
    It is a good job you didn't stop in some other countries , eg in Egypt a British woman served time in prison taking tramadol tablets into the country. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/24/british-woman-laura-plummer-jailed-egypt-tramadol-possession-appeal-conviction

They are illegal in many countries as they are seen as a gateway drug to illegal drug use as they are an opioid and addictive. In this country they are a class c drug , in other words it is illegal to have them without a prescription https://www.talktofrank.com/drug/tramadol#the-law
    They are used illegally in this country and you are lucky you were not investigated for drug dealing.

Just because you can buy drugs abroad without a prescription does not mean it is a safe thing to do or legal to bring them home.

Antibiotic resistance , which could mean people dying from minor scratches and illnesses, is partly increasing because of antibiotics being freely available to buy over the counter in several countries.

If you need a medication it will be prescribed for you. Pain is a difficult thing to prescribe long term for. You should seek referral to a pain clinic.

The suggestions of referral to a pain clinic seem very sensible. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure