Barking mad relatives!

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    This is by far my favourite thread at the moment. Long may it continue :D:T

It’s fab isn’t it? All the elements of developing into a mini series.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This is awful for you. How can so called family put you in this position.

You need to do the broken record technique. Say no with no further explanation you don't owe them one. Every time its mentioned just say NO and move on to something else. If they keep pushing then say do you know what NO means? If they say yes then say that is my answer on that subject and I won't be discussing this any further with you.

Personally I would be using stronger language and telling them not to contact you again as you are blocking their number and e-mail.

I agree about the lodger. And tell them what is going on so they don't let them in if they come when you are not around.

All the best

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2019 at 1:03PM
    Doorbell rang last night and I nearly died lol (its a rare occurrence in these parts)

Thankfully just a mate dropping in on the of chance I wanted to go see End Game (er, yes!) so I was out all night as it was dinner then the 12 am sitting meaning we were all done at 3 am - so if they did come by they were stuffed.

though as I mentioned I don't think they meant immediately

so I didn't get the chance to write a response yesterday - i'll do it later after I've finished in the garden.

(lodger is away internationally for three weeks, as mentioned previously she spends more time away than in residence so shes pretty much incommunicado - also no spare keys dotted about )

I'm actually quite thankful for all your comments, you are making it seem more light-hearted than a serious matter and it's keeping me from over thinking and getting stressed (which i am prone to do) - I appreciate it
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Do you have a front gate that you can put a digi-lock on? Stop them being able to actually get to the front door/near the house itself?
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    supermezzo wrote: »
    Do you have a front gate that you can put a digi-lock on? Stop them being able to actually get to the front door/near the house itself?

Or just ask her if she likes your new puppy...

hqdefault.jpg
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    We are a mews house - so the front door is out into the street the whole row doesn't have a front garden at all

something like this (but less swish)

https://everchangingmews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Stanhope-Mews-South-5-of-7.jpg
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Or just ask her if she likes your new puppy...

hqdefault.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And has Aunt not seen the news of a localised outbreak of bubonic plague too? Best she and all family members stay far far away....for a VERY long time...or even better, forever.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe you need one of those new "Ring" doorbells so you can see who's at the door, even if you're out!!

I still think a blunt (but still polite at this stage) No, should do the trick,. But your Aunt doesn't seem to have a social filter.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Perhaps she needs to go stay with the father if she know who it I, maybe it's her dad...

Tell them you don't want their little tart anywhere near your hubby.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Maybe you need one of those new "Ring" doorbells so you can see who's at the door, even if you're out!!

I still think a blunt (but still polite at this stage) No, should do the trick,. But your Aunt doesn't seem to have a social filter.

Or maybe the OP should wire up the doorbell to the electricity.

I think I'm going down a darker path than most posters.
    But I can guarantee that once I've told someone they're not welcome, I don't have to repeat the message. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure