Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3,610Posts
    • 32,964Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 7:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 539
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 2nd Jul 19, 5:46 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Sounds lovely, Pollyanna.

Just a brief update from me. My OH, who was being treated for cancer, died suddenly on Saturday. He was in hospital for a couple of days, being treated for high calcium levels in his blood, and we were expecting him to come home Saturday. I went in to visit - he was tucked up in bed, asleep. Or rather, not asleep. He wasn't breathing. His heart had stopped in his sleep.

I have our son and OH's son here with me, we are awaiting the death certificate and are seeing a funeral director this morning. It was and still is a shock, he was due to start a new round of treatment soon, but obviously the Universe had other plans.

I believe we are made of the stuff that stars are made of. My OH has gone back to the stars.

Regards to everybody.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 2nd Jul 19, 6:08 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 7,528 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I am so sorry , Nargleblast. xx
    • wmf
    • By wmf 2nd Jul 19, 6:08 AM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 21,767 Thanks
    wmf
    So sorry to hear this Nargleblast. Thinking of you very much
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 2nd Jul 19, 6:49 AM
    • 5,369 Posts
    • 60,761 Thanks
    Jazee
    My condolences Nargleblast. What a lovely thought that he is back with the stars.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Aug £483.92 Total 2019 - £3854.98/£5k
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 2nd Jul 19, 7:00 AM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 26,938 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    So sorry to read your sad news Nargle. Try to take comfort that to leave this world tucked up in bed sleeping is a gentle way to head for the stars. Look up on those starry ,big moon nights. He'll be there free from pain .
    pollyx
    No need to hurry.No need to sparkle.No need to be anybody but oneself.

Virginia Woolf.
    • MingVase
    • By MingVase 2nd Jul 19, 7:07 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    MingVase
    I hope you are keeping well Polly xxx Missed you!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Jul 19, 7:53 AM
    • 13,457 Posts
    • 184,111 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hiya Polly, we have a honeysuckle outside the French doors from the kitchen which is so fragrant in the evenings that it fills the garden with its perfume, just lovely. Warm and sunny again here today which is all to the good and we are off later this morning for coffee with Ruby dog and her mum and planning a trip to a garden centre this afternoon for some bits for the allotment so we can wire train the new thornless blackberries and loganberry. DD1 and James coming this evening to help carry up some fence panels from the car port to the back garden as the beck fence is rather rickety and needed replacing. Think we might go out for supper with them afterwards to say thank you.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 2nd Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Condolences Nargleblast.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 2nd Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 4,465 Thanks
    juliettet
    So sorry Nargleblast. I like the stars thought too.
    • LadyMoney
    • By LadyMoney 2nd Jul 19, 12:57 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    LadyMoney
    Sorry for your loss Nargleblast, I will look up at the stars and think of you all.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 2nd Jul 19, 9:01 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 55,608 Thanks
    monnagran
    Nargle, just look after yourself and do things your way. There are no rules about how you should feel or what you should do. We are all with you in spirit.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • CollieDog2
    • By CollieDog2 3rd Jul 19, 12:08 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    CollieDog2
    Nargleblast, he's free from pain. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Formerly Known as WonderCollie
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 3rd Jul 19, 6:26 AM
    • 874 Posts
    • 12,564 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    I don't post very often on this thread but wanted to say sorry for your loss Nargleblast.
    Look after yourself
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 19, 2:28 PM
    • 13,457 Posts
    • 184,111 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Afternoon everyone another golden and warm day here which is perhaps just but only just too warm for comfort at the moment. HWK has been fishing and just got home having enjoyed his day very much and we've got a cuppa to sip. A busy morning in the shop and a huge amount of donations came in too, people are extremely generous in what they give to the Hospice charity. I managed to get half the ironing box emptied, priced and out into the shop and also sort quite a few of the donation bags that came in too. Not much planned for the rest of the day as I was awake for quite a lot of last night with a tickly cough and am feeling quite tired so I'm going to be glad of a lazy afternoon.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 4th Jul 19, 10:32 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    So sorry to hear of your loss, Nargleblast.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 4th Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 10,210 Thanks
    MadamMim2013

I believe we are made of the stuff that stars are made of. My OH has gone back to the stars.
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Nargleblast What a beautiful sentiment! Brought a tear to my eye..
    Sending much love to you and your family.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Jul 19, 6:30 PM
    • 5,555 Posts
    • 81,364 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Oh dear, it seems I am only on this thread when condolences are due. Soo sorry for your loss, Nargle

Hello all - hope you are all keeping well, I am still typing. Thesis due in just under 3 months No time for anything else - except Glastonbury, which was as fabulous as ever. Certainly helped by the weather which, although was a bit exhausting (one poor woman fainted in front of me...), was easier than the mud

Laters..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 6th Jul 19, 10:03 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Morning all,

Just back from 5 days at Centerparcs - something the kids and I have wanted to do since they opened but nsdh never wanted to - so we never went.

I paid for the accommodation at Christmas and we planned all the meals and did a big shop at Lidl before we went. The kids paid for their own bike hire (ds1, dgf of ds1 and ds2). Apart from that I don't think we spent anything and for us it was a really good value break.

I didn't get anything in the Parcmarket having heard horror stories about the prices but the aged parents had a look. They stock a lot of Coop products and my dad said the prices were the same as their local Coop

Plus we have brought so much back with us - sorted for the next fortnight's food.

Off to Skipton and Bolton Abbey today with the kids and ddog, who has been released from the kennels. The cat caught his first mouse whilst I was away so the poor neighbour had to deal with the corpse.

Hugs to everyone who needs them - hope you all have a good weekend.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • burtha
    • By burtha 25th Jul 19, 11:11 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 7,225 Thanks
    burtha
    So sorry to hear of your loss nargeboast , hope the last few weeks have been calm and although sad full of wonderful memory's .
    Hope everyone is ok ,.
    My only news is 3mw got married , he waited 6 weeks from the divorce going through .... none of his kids there .....
    And I'm still dating the slightly less crumpled frog now , fun 💜👍
    X
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 26th Jul 19, 6:39 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good morning burtha , and thank you. I had a letter from OH's consultant this week who, amidst the condolences, informed me a recent MRI scan showed the cancer had started to spread into his brain, which explains a lot of problems he had been having. I am so thankful he died when he did, in his sleep, whilst he was still mentally himself. The alternative would have been too cruel for a man with such an active mind. It just emphasises for me how things often happen for the best, and we should trust the Universe to bring us what's right for us.

I am happy to hear you are doing ok, remembering the miserable time you went through during your marriage breakdown. May your ex and his new wife have a long and happy life together as far away from you as possible, and may your children move on with their lives. I have to say, any bloke who sticks around while his lady is going through an acrimonious divorce has to be a fairly decent sort. Hope things continue to go well for you.
    One life - your life - live it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,863Posts Today

8,166Users online

Martin's Twitter