Laser eye surgery

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife had it done over ten years ago and has been very happy with it.

One thing she did notice was a slight worsening of her night vision. Other people I have spoken to have also had the same side effect.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kirtondm wrote: »
    This isn't true - Laser corrective surgery is not avilable on the NHS. Prehaps you are confusing it with cataract surgery which isn't done with laser but microsurgery?

That isn't quite correct. I had cataract surgery for both eyes, then in a Nhs hospital had Laser treatment. I have Diplopia (double vision) and the laser didn't help. I've had 'proper' surgery to try and correct it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    No I work in an eye department and there's many people who have laser treatment . Cataracts isn't done by laser

Lasers are used in cataract surgery, a femtosecond laser is used to make the incision. I know I've had it done, and on the NHS. They take your lens out by smashing it up and hovering it out, then a plastic lens is inserted. Brilliat. Cheers fj
  • Andypandyboy
    Options
    I suppose mine may be the voice of doom then. My partner had it done and whilst it was ok at first, it did not fulfil the fuction they wished for - the removal of glasses. They still needed them for reading and, over time for driving. I think it may be an age related thing as they were over 40 at the time the procedure was done. Now, they still wear glasses as much as they ever did and have had issues with the eye that was done.
  • MonicaSmith
    Options
    I got it done 3 years ago when I was 21. I have not experienced any issues in my eyes after the surgery. Infact, it has made my life so much easier. Make sure your eye number has remained constant for a relatively long period of time (your doctor will also check that). Because if it is not, there are chances that you will again get some numbers in your eyes after the surgery and you will need to use the glasses.
    Also, if you have high numbers, it might take more than one sitting but it totally depends upon the individual eyes.
    The best part is you don't need to keep any precautions after one week of the surgery.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my lenses removed and replaced with plastic ones.

Done on the NHS.

I was short sighted and now have excellent vision, only need glasses for reading which cost £1. My varifocals cost £400+

Cheers fj

I'm guessing you had single vision IOLs implanted. Might seem like a daft question but are you aware of the IOL, i mean can you feel it, see its edges or any visual irregularities? can you describe in detail the day you had them done and the procedure? tnx
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Lasers are used in cataract surgery, a femtosecond laser is used to make the incision. I know I've had it done, and on the NHS. They take your lens out by smashing it up and hovering it out, then a plastic lens is inserted. Brilliat. Cheers fj
    I understood that femtosecond laser pre preparation was not available on the NHS and that they only practised the traditional ultrasonic technique? Femto is used for private cataract surgery so does this mean NHS patients get a second class operation?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • amandacat
    Options
    I had Lasik done 12 years ago for short sightedness of about -5 in both eyes. Painless procedure but dry eye afterwards was agony, was ok after a month but ruined my daily life for that initial period.

I enjoyed excellent vision for about 3 years before going slightly long sighted in one eye and needing glasses for close up. By 2010 I was in need of a contact lenses in one eye and by 2015 back to wearing contacts in both eyes. My night vision has been badly affected, this makes it stressful due to glare and poor contrast.

My day vision is still much better than pre op but I still need contacts or glasses now for comfortable vision.

I know things have moved on but there are still risks and for me the night vision issue has been a real problem. I am considering an enhancement to bring me back to clear vision and see if it can sort my night vision but not sure I can go through the dry eye again.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    I would say to anyone considering laser refractive eye surgery to do plenty of research. This isnt the sort of thing that should be sold on the high street with offers and vouchers ! It is far more important than that and if things go wrong, you could have life changing issues.

For anyone who is short sighted, i would strongly suggest that you investigate the world of daily disposable contact lenses. They are highly effective at correcting refractive issues, are extremely easy to manage/put in/take out as long as you are taught properly and are the very best alternative to laser refractive surgery. The good thing is, if your prescription changes, you can tweak the lenses a bit. If post laser, your prescription changes what will you do? go for another laser session with all the costs and risks it entails or,,err,, get some glasses/contacts and go back to where you were before pre laser?

No,,keep your options open and your eyes healthy >> daily disposables are they way to go for many.
    Laser refractive surgery is sold as some kind of panacea but it doesnt always work out that way.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Options
    I've had it done twice.

The first time surface of eye cut with machine. Healing time not too bad. I had to have 24 hours off work. Booked a week and went back 9 days later to an air conditioned building - which wasn't great but I had to manage.

Second time alcohol to rub it off. Had to have a full week off. Had no annual leave left.

Second time due to the first not working as it should.

I have terrible night time glare. I still need drops - one year after the second surgery. After the first I was using drops for 2.5 years.

The second version was Horrific. I was depressed and unable to do anything for a week. Went back to work with sunglasses on. To be fair I was too bored not to go back.

I do love the fact that I don't have to wear glasses still. Although accept the fact I may need reading glasses. But the healing from version two was horrid.

I went in the day after (24 hour check was standard for both versions) begging the optician to clean my eyes as they were so sticky and gunky. He started saying that couldn't happen for a week - and then when he saw me totally caved. The smell was gross as all of the sloughed off surface of my eyes was gunked in my eyelashes. and yes that is gross to talk about. But you have to be prepared for the possibility.

I still have to go back to get the ridiculous drops. To buy they're £18 a bottle. I do get them free but it's a ball ache to go for them.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport