Planning for death - forum discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Rose
Former_MSE_Rose Posts: 128 Forumite
edited 16 October 2012 at 1:44PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

This thread's specifically for discussing the Death happens - plan for it checklist. Please share your experiences and any tips that have helped you financially prepare to help others after you've gone. Are there any useful resources you've found along the way, or any tips that have made discussing it with loved ones a bit easier? Just click 'reply' to post,

Thanks,

MSE Rose

Comments

• lynnefibreart
    Options
    Hi
    Is there any way I could print out the information on the factsheet. It's really very good and I would like to work from it, section by section
    thanks
    Lynne
  • fightfirewithfire
    fightfirewithfire Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2012 at 6:56AM
    Options
    It might sound alien to some, but consider arranging a pre-paid funeral. There are various options available but it gives YOU the opportunity of arranging the detail(s) of your funeral in advance and, importantly, paying for your funeral at today's prices. Downside is often a slightly higher cost for the prepayment but think of it like the arrangement fee paid to a mortgage provider for a lower interest rate, the long term savings will probably outstrip the extra cost. Hopefully you won't be using the plan for several years by which time the cost of a funeral will have risen beyond your outlay.
    When taking out a plan, check on what costs will be refunded if not required e.g. the cost of Doctors medical certificate for cremation if H.M. Coroner requests a post-mortem will be met by the Coroner and the fee,in fairness, should be refunded to your family. If in doubt, or you have questions you need answering, consult a local Funeral Director (or two) who would be willing to give advice and/or a quote completely free of charge.
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    This is excellent - I will definitely be printing this out.

One tip (which I must do) is to give your executors either copies of significant documents or detailed instructions on where to find them. Maybe the Age Concern LifeBook caters for that - will look into it.

For instance I have death certs and probate cert for my late husband so I could give sons (executors) those docs and copy of my will.

Again not done, but was advised to think and put in my will where I would want my estate to go if sons pre-deceased me. Could be a charity or more remote relatives.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my parents have just arranged their own funerals its cost them £3200 each thats for a humanist type ceremony and cremation.
  • Nanbea
    Options
    My husbands life assurance has just expired and the company won't re-insure him because of his poor health. I am worried that I won't be able to afford the funeral or even pay my bills after his death. Anyone got any advice please...thanks
  • tizzicat
    tizzicat Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I did a pre-payment funeral plan when I was 30 - 18 years ago now, as I had become single and did not want my parents to have to foot the bill. It cost me £960 in total! I was able to pay by instalments over five years and now I don't have to worry.

My parents both had these plans and it was a godsend when they died, as we didn't have to worry about finding the money.

My mum had also put in the folder what music she wanted at the ceremony as well, so I didn't have to do anything.:T
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might sound alien to some, but consider arranging a pre-paid funeral. There are various options available but it gives YOU the opportunity of arranging the detail(s) of your funeral in advance and, importantly, paying for your funeral at today's prices. Downside is often a slightly higher cost for the prepayment but think of it like the arrangement fee paid to a mortgage provider for a lower interest rate, the long term savings will probably outstrip the extra cost. Hopefully you won't be using the plan for several years by which time the cost of a funeral will have risen beyond your outlay.

My mum recently died and she had a pre-paid funeral and I am just so grateful. Not only because it was one less (major) cost, but it also just made everything so much easier. I am an only child so was having to do everything myself and not having to arrange the funeral was a massive bonus. I am not religious whereas my mum did want a Christian service so that is another reason why it was good that she put down what she wanted. When my mum paid for her funeral she got 10% off the cost of a funeral so it was a big saving compared to the cost today.
  • Bad-dad
    Options
    My wife died earlier this year and I was most surprised when her bank transferred the balances of her current & savings accounts to me within days after sight of only the death certificate. In the past nothing would have occurred until Grant of Probate had been issued. I may have been fortunate but had it been me who died and my bank had blocked my accounts until probate then my wife could have been hard pressed to meet all the day to day bills let alone those of my funeral!
    Some time ago we decided to avoid any such problem by changing all of our individual savings accounts into joint accounts. This way title would immediately, upon production of death certificate, be switched to the sole survivor. Not immediately useful for fixed rate accounts but the principle is there for any type of account. Obviously it depends how much there is one's savings and what ones usual outgoings are.

If anyone knows whether accounts are released nowadays without probate please advise otherwise what we did may be worth while giving some consideration.

Another point worth bearing in mind at the time of death, you'll be asked when registering the death whether you want extra copies of death certificate. The more the easier it is to get matters moving along. Six copies do not cost a great deal and enable you to contact six authorities/banks/share registers etc at a time. The certificates do come back but the fewer you have the longer it will all take. The same will also apply when you get the grant of probate but by then you'll know how many you ought to obtain.

What ever you do picking the right moment to raise the subject with your partner is absolutely paramount. As a bloke I was very much at risk of putting my foot in it! For once I got it right.
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    Yes, getting 6 death certificates was a wise move as well as obtaining about 4 probate certificates - made things easier.

Businesses you send death cert and probate cert to do return them.

Always ask for the death department when calling a company - most do have dedicated advisors when calling about a departed. This is really useful as they treat you sensitively and actually help you do what needs to be done. You can contact them at any time with anything to do with the death - even months after. Get a name though would be my advice.
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    Santander have a ceiling of 25k where if below no probate. If above yes, want a probate.

Nationwide seems to want a probate whatever the amount (£400 in my case).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback