PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• Hi Everyone!

MrsMcw-Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee can I swap to weekly if possible? Its just my 4 weeks are different each month and a weekly spend would be easier for me to manage ATM. Is that ok?

Sorry to be a pain:D

Can you put me down for £50 per week and I'll start today as Ive already spent £30 in Sainsburys today but got many reduced items and some frozen bits?

Thanks

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Hi All
    Did bits from Lidl tonight - nescafe Gold Blend coffee£3.75, pasta sauces - 2 for £3.00, 50% extra free Weetabix £3.24, apples and bananas. £11.44. Coffee I mix with cheap brand and OH can live with taste.
    No shopping day yesterday and none now til Friday!!!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All

Thanks to those who started the list this month...

Last month I ended up spending a fortune in the local Somerfield (again) so I am tryng to work out if it would be best for me to do a massive monthly shop and then work out a way of getting my milk and veg weekly. The problem I have is that I don't have a car at the moment so getting into town is a pain as we are a few miles away, and being pregnant too I don't really fancy that walk each week.

I usually get a weekly shop but end up spending more just to get up to a value that I can use money off codes on!!! which kind of defeats the object really. By doing this I also feel like I miss out on whoopsies or offers or cheaper versions....

Hmmmm will have to work something out i think as shopping seems to be costing a fortune lately.

i will keep reading this thread for tips, although probably won't post toomuch as it moves so quickly.

Good Luck Everyone

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi Everyone!

MrsMcw-Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee can I swap to weekly if possible? Its just my 4 weeks are different each month and a weekly spend would be easier for me to manage ATM. Is that ok?

Sorry to be a pain:D

Can you put me down for £50 per week and I'll start today as Ive already spent £30 in Sainsburys today but got many reduced items and some frozen bits?

Thanks

PP
    xx
    oooohhhh go on then ;)
    Hope everyone is off to a good start...
    4 days in and nothing spent :T
    Have counted up and we have 163 people who have given their budget allready :eek: this thread gets busier n busier :T
    glad you got the pm about the cornedbeef donnajt -was trying not to add extra posts :A
    right off to get my bubble n squeak eaten and then back to the crochet blanky.. I taught myself to crochet over the weekend :j
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Another month another challenge..Well could the divine Mrs.M out me down for £200 this month as i want to stockpile. Good luck everyone.
    bob x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Folks,

Well, done quite a big shop today, and have spent £116.98 out of my budget. Got a bit of meat in which hopefully I can include in at least a 3 week meal plan.

Mrs Mc, would you mind PMing me your recipe for Cornbeef hash too. I have 2 tins of cornbeef in the cupboard, and the kids and Dh love cornbeef (yuk).

Jackie xx
  • Not sure if anyone remembers me talking about a job interview I had on Friday..well..I got the job :D:D:D

Sooo chuffed. If nothing else it means the food budget isn't coming out of my student loan! Can't wait to get earning again :) I may just treat myself to a large bar of choccy tonight by way of celebration (even though I declared it can come out of September's budget..hehe). Hope you're all having a lovely day and enjoying the last of the sunshine!!

xxx
    DFW Nerd 1050 (09/08 overdraft £1200)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    GC Sept:£136/£200 Oct:£60/£160
    Smoke free since 08/08/08
  • ....aaannd I am off the mark with a Mr A shop with £15.22 although I did forget to buy sugar grrr.

incl £1.90 for scales

Some good buys

£1 for 500g of coffee, which smelt lovely
    50p for 1kg of onions
    £2.75 for 1kg of mince (20%)

I also went with my friend and made him make a list before he bought food and his bill was £22 for two weeks, although it included a soap dish and 2x Truffle trays, he was really pleased I came along as normally his shop is around £30, for two weeks.

Spreading the MSE love !
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Still pootling along with my September budget for the moment. Picked up a couple of bits of Brie and some Hovis bread mix at Mr T today, but I am still under with 1 more day to go - and I'm working from home tomorrow, so will be away from the temptation of Mr T :D

Blasted toaster died this morning so had to get a new one at lunchtime. Really annoyed as I only had to replace the kettle a couple of weeks ago! (If I'd known the toaster was also going to go, I'd have bought a matching set which would have worked out cheaper :mad:) Luckily electrical items aren't included in my monthly total, else I'd be way over again.

Just thought I'd post the recipe I did in the slow cooker for tea yesterday. It turned out lovely and there was loads left over, so we're having the left overs tonight. The recipe serves 4, but I reckon you could stretck it further with some lentils or something. The dried mushrooms aren't the cheapest thing, but they do give it a really meaty flavour - OH said it tasted like oxtail soup, but much more substantial because of the pasta.

Mince & Macaroni
    15g (1/2 oz) mixed dried mushrooms
    150ml (1/4 pint) boiling water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    500g (1lb) minced beef or lamb
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    400g (13 oz) can chopped tomatoes
    450ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    small bunch rosemary (I used dried)
    250g (8 oz) macaroni
    3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (I didn't bother with these)
    salt & pepper

Put the mushrooms in a bowl, pour over the boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the minced meat and onion and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes until browned. Add the garlic, then stir in the canned tomatoes, stock, tomato puree and nutmeg. Tear the leaves off 3 of the rosemary sprigs and add to the mince with the reconstituted dried mushrooms and their soaking liquid, and salt and pepper.

Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on "Low" for 8-9 hours. When ready to serve, cook the macaroni in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain and mix into the cooked mince. Spoon onto individual plates and top with toasted pine nuts and rosemary leaves, stripped from the remaining sprigs.

Enjoy!

MrsM - you taught yourself to crochet in a weekend?? Is there anything you can't do?! I bow down to your greatness! (And now I must get on with the cross stitch I am doing for Mum for Christmas - if she's lucky, she might get it in Christmas 2012! :rotfl:)
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Hello, :hello:

I seem to have 'fallen' off the list. Never mind - I also fell out with my September budget.

Could I please be put down for £200 this month.

Thanks.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport