Can i buy children out of half the house?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How do you know it was your husband using the phone?

With kids there is a case for life interest in the family home for the wife.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How do you know it was your husband using the phone?

Because there is absolutely no reason to think it wasn't.

If the FIL had successfully forged a valid and witnessed Will by his son, then getting on his phone, breaking his password (if any), masquerading as him to his wife, and telling her all about his son's fictional thought process while attempting to imitate his writing style (including swearwords and misspellings) without arousing suspicion, would be gilding the lily.

The problem is not that it would be a high-risk masterpiece of acting and well beyond your average fraudster (though it is), the problem is that it's completely pointless. Even if he managed it, it doesn't add to the credibility of the Will. It makes no difference to its validity whether the OP thought she'd spoken to him in his last few days.

Occam's Razor suggests the OP's husband wrote the Will and the texts. Whether he went into a solicitor's office to write it, or whether it was a DIY will (and if so whether it was valid) is a more important question.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Karendeakz wrote: »
    I got sent a letter about the tenancy being severed but didn't actually receive it until after he died.
    But had you actually agreed to this happening/signed the relevant paperwork or was the letter from the land registry the first you knew about it?
  • Karendeakz
    Karendeakz Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't agree or sign anything. I was told he didn't need me to agree to sever the tenancy.
  • Karendeakz
    Karendeakz Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    And I never got a letter from the land registry regarding it. The only thing I've ever received from them is a reply about a form I submitted to them after my husband died taking his name off the house.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karendeakz wrote: »
    I didn't agree or sign anything. I was told he didn't need me to agree to sever the tenancy.

That's right - either of the owners can sever a joint tenancy - the other owner can't prevent it happening.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's right - either of the owners can sever a joint tenancy - the other owner can't prevent it happening.

You have to serve notice the tenancy is being severed for it to happen.

OP said OH died Sunday and the letter came wed.

It may not have been posted in time.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How are you getting on OP?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure