PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes

When i was out for lunch with my mum last week I had a lovely salad to start which was served with red onion chutney. I would like to be able to make this myself to add to my salads, can anyone give me a recipe?
Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011

Comments

• ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    4 lge or 6 med red onions
    100g butter
    2 tbs dark brown sugar

put in heavy pan with tight lid and cook on lowest possible heat for 30 mins, take off heat and leave to cool
  • hi....was looking through old posts about making onion chutney.....

does any one know any other onion chutney recipes....ones with vinegar etc......

i have only made rhueburb chutney in the summer... and only 6 jars at that..... and it is soooooo lovely.....i want to make some diff.. ones.... and i was thinking of onions... as they are cheap to buy, and i could make it now....ready for spring/summer eating.....

thanks....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Joscar
    Joscar Posts: 139 Forumite
    I have just harvested a good crop of red onions from the allotment and I love red onion chutney so would like to try to make some.

I have never made any jam or chutney before, so I am looking for a full proof recipe. I'd appreciate your recipes or any chutney making advise for beginners

Thank you
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2007
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    January 7%
    February 13%
    March 20%
    April 27%
    May 32%
    June 39%
    July 45%
    August 54%
    September 62%
    October 68%
  • Hi There
    Dont have a chutney recipe but have a fab onion marmalade one which is great with meat, cheeses & most veggie dishes. In fact I made a batch today as it never lasts long in our house!! Makes about x4 1lb jars.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover wih salt leave for an hour

Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan, boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion translucent & brown. Can't go wrong.
    Put in sterilized jars.

Yum
    Rachelle
    simplicity is key

• Hi Joscar
    This is my first post - but you must have read my mind as I cooking onion chutney as i type!
    I downloaded the recipe from UKTV Food, as follows:
    3large onion (thinly sliced)
    3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
    3tbsp olive oil
    1tsp mustard seeds
    1tsp corriander seeds
    3tbsp red wine vinegar
    4tbsp dark muscovado sugar
    method:
    add onions, garlic, oil, mustard & corriander seeds to pan. Stir well & cook gently for 20 mins.
    Stir in vinegar & sugar then cook for 10-20 mins until translucent & reduced.
    Add couple spoons water & cook for 10 mins until well thickened & slightly sticky.
    Fill prepared jam/kilner jars & store for up to 2 months, then use as required.
    The chutney smells delicious - have fun!
    :T
  • Hi There
    Dont have a chutney recipe but have a fab onion marmalade one which is great with meat, cheeses & most veggie dishes. In fact I made a batch today as it never lasts long in our house!! Makes about x4 1lb jars.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover wih salt leave for an hour

Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan, boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion translucent & brown. Can't go wrong.
    Put in sterilized jars.

Yum
    Rachelle

This looks just what I need :j Does it keep as long as a chutney?

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Joscar
    Joscar Posts: 139 Forumite
    Thanks for your recipes,

I will give it a go tonight if I manage to finish work on time and find enough jars to use.

:T :j
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2007
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    January 7%
    February 13%
    March 20%
    April 27%
    May 32%
    June 39%
    July 45%
    August 54%
    September 62%
    October 68%
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm fairly sure I recently saw a recipe for making onion & tomato relish, or something very similar, but can't remember where now. I don't suppose anyone has a recipe do they please?

I found one on Delia's site but her's is a hot one, as in cooked, (don't mind it being hot with chillies ;) ) and I just want to make a simple cold one to add to burgers and salad for lunch.

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • This looks just what I need :j Does it keep as long as a chutney?

Penny. x

Has a 2 yr shelf life as long as you sterilize & seal the jars properly. Although it never lasts that long in our house!! Rachelle
    simplicity is key

• Hi

I did do a search and had a look in the indexed collections but couldnt find what I was looking for.

Anway I am looking for a recipe for red onion marmalade. There are quite a few I have found on the web but I wondered if anyone had a tried and tested one.

Also if I made it now could I keep it in jars to use as Christmas pressies?:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure