PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• newroadahead
    newroadahead Posts: 1,184 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    This is all new to me but as suggested I have been saving my receipts since 21st April so should have a better idea for next month.
    As a guess can I say £240.00 for May

Many thanks

NRA
    NewRoadAhead Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00Debt Free November 2014January GC £ 245.75/£250NSD January 13/10February GC £250.00NSD February 2/15
  • Thanks for the shiney new thread.

Could you put me down for £80 again this month, please.

Went slightly over again this month, think it was because they had a certain brand of reduced fat cheese on offer in Mr A at £2 instead of the usual £3+ so stocked up. (It's not on offer anymore so won't be buying any in May!!)
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." Franklin Jones
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    arrrrrggg - my online order has arrived and I can't ft it in the freezer!! I also thought I'd done a store cupboard check before I ordered but I appear to have a stupid amount of pasta!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    this is my first attempt at the Grocery Chllenge I usually spend about £400 with the extras for 4 of us I want to get this down to £300

As a thank you for letting me participate I will donate my fave soup recipe:

Carrot, leek and butterbean soup:

500g leftover, going out of date or fresh carrots
    1 large leek
    1 onion
    1 standard (fullsize) tin butterbeans
    1 pint veg stock
    salt pepper
    herbs etc

Simple soup soften everything in some i
    oil/butter add herbs and stock cook until soft

add beans and blend until smooth - beans thicken it so no need for flour

season

yummy
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Joanie72
    Joanie72 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Um . . . hello folks. Total Newbie here, so please forgive my diving in.
    I've been budgeting £200 a week to feed 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog, a rabbit, 3 extra kids every other weekend, and cover petrol, clothes and toiletries for all. That also covers days out and such.
    I've been trying to cut back, but reckon this challenge will help.
    My donation: Pasta and sauce recipe.
    One tin of tomatoes, some basil, an onion and a decent squirt of tomato puree. Fry veg, chuck everything else in and the longer you leave it to bubble away the better. Add grated cheese, bacon or sliced sausage if you're feeling flush!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC £330/£600
    May NSD 2
  • Joanie72
    Joanie72 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Doh . . . forgot to say I'm going to take the chip away option, so reckon 10% cut this month should help. That works at an obscene sounding £720 for May. Surely that's loads?!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC £330/£600
    May NSD 2
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    £108 for fiance, me and 2 old rats please for 1st of May to 31st of May.
    We did go over our budget for April :o. I'm hoping we can stay in budget for May or I may have to think about putting the budget up :eek: when I'd rather it go down.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,245 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Please put me down for £280 for May. Not brave enough to go lower yet but am working on it. Many thanks :T
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Good morning everyone,

well tomorrow I fill up my GC purse again. Keep all GC money in another purse and use that cash. I think if I use "real" money instead of "virtual" money it keeps me more disciplined as I can see the money disappearing and I am less likely to make impulse buys.

Souk08- can I ask how you manage on £45 pounds a month? What do you include? Maybe you wouldn't mind passing some of your tips over to us who struggle a bit. I would really appreciate it.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    I'll go for £60 for May!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business