PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gifted Deposit - Onerous checking - how necessary?

Comments

• AdrianC wrote: »
    Yeh, why on earth do solicitors need to do any kind of money-laundering checks on that gift from Uncle Pablo in Medellin, Uncle Vito in Palermo, or Uncle Vladimir in Moscow, anyway?

Well yes, but as the OP was about a Mortgage Broker collecting data (on a statement) that had no relevance to the gift, involving money that had sat in a British Bank for over 8 months so plenty of time for money-laundering checks there and the gift was from a British Father rather than foreign uncle - is your comment useful, helpful or worthwhile?

Thank you to the others for their experiences.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it's sat in a UK bank for 8 months, then it's probably legit. Which is why they need to see the bank statements which the kind donor is reluctant to provide.
  • No - it sat in my daughters bank for 8 months - her statements prove that which she supplied - October to July. And it got there from the current account of a major british bank - the sort codes show that.

However it is good to know that 8 months is reasonable evidence for you that it is legit - thank you for that
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sal_III wrote: »
    If the deposit monies are coming from the UK bank account this should be a sufficient reason to consider them "clean"

That doesn't make any sense. In your reading of things, no money that has ever been in a UK bank account could possibly be laundered.

You know what placement, layering and integration is, right?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    You know what placement, layering and integration is, right?
    Quite.

The whole point is that every link in the chain of a financial transaction can/should add to the audit trail/evidence should a future money laundering case be investigated.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Quite.

The whole point is that every link in the chain of a financial transaction can/should add to the audit trail/evidence should a future money laundering case be investigated.

Right but at what point do they stop \'

The OP put the money into his account from a share transaction.

How does he prove where the money to buy the shares came from, etc.

As another poster said its stupid **** covering that doesnt actually stop any "real" money laundering but its easier to go after the little people than actually do soemthing about overseas accounts etc. What happens when mr abromovitch buys a penthouse in Chelsea for £20M. Anyone think he has to show his bank account details?

I guess the answer is, for anyone contemplating this in the future as its too late for the OP, xfer the money via a bank account you dont use for your main banking, just for incidental transactions.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »

Who's said he had to?

As another poster said its stupid **** covering that doesnt actually stop any "real" money laundering but its easier to go after the little people than actually do soemthing about overseas accounts etc. What happens when mr abromovitch buys a penthouse in Chelsea for £20M. Anyone think he has to show his bank account details?

Yes.
    I guess the answer is, for anyone contemplating this in the future as its too late for the OP, xfer the money via a bank account you dont use for your main banking, just for incidental transactions.

I mean yeah suddenly running huge sums of money through an account that isn't used for anything doesn't look dodgy or out of character at all and will definitely avoid scrutiny.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • In this case, AnotherJoe's suggestion it would probably have been acceptable as it would demonstrate the link through that account between the money going in from the share sale (a recognised British broker) and out to my daughter. That is all he claims to want to be able to do.
    All the rest of the information on the main account statement is apparently of no interest to him - but if his security is not as good as he thinks then it could be to others. But he will not agree to it being redacted.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    I mean yeah suddenly running huge sums of money through an account that isn't used for anything doesn't look dodgy or out of character at all and will definitely avoid scrutiny.

It will avoid scrutiny of unrelated transactions that are no business of the person checking.

They aren't meant to be vetting the whole account, just the transfer. So there is no scrutiny needed or done other than to check money went from father to daughter.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »

As already mentioned earlier, donor bank statement for funds leaving, recipient bank statement for funds arriving and possibly donor ID.

Unfortunately, how we feel about this and large-scale/industrial money laundering is irrelevant as we're stuck with adherence to rules we design ourselves to meet the Act's requirements.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure