Incorrect Claim - Help needed

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,972
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Quite.

The OP has not just stolen money from tax-payers, she has contributed to the toxic attitude towards those disabled people who are reliant on benefits.

The cheats and scroungers narrative, that can cause so much misery for genuine claimants.
    Those undergoing ESA and PIP re-assessments with conditions that won't improve, just because the government seeks the assuage voters who view all benefit claimants as "cheats".
    Taxpayers footing the huge bill for private companies such as ATOS etc, running flawed assessments.
    Those who fail their assessment and then face the stress of appealing.
    Those with a valid claim who don't claim (AA, etc) because of fear of being labelled a cheat.
    Etc, etc

The OP should be thoroughly ashamed of herself. But I expect she will continue to make excuses and play the victim.

In reality though, benefit fraud is small (around 1%) .
    https://www.indy100.com/article/benefit-fraud-tax-dodging-paradise-papers-evasion-avoidance-billions-government-statistics-8056846

That's still £2B per year that could be put to better use.
  • JessyRM
    JessyRM Posts: 66
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP you know what you need to do, Waiting around to be found out is not going to help you sleep at night. Call them up and explain the situation if you are in financial hardship get some support from one of the debt charities and be as honest as possible. It takes two minutes for someone to report benefit fraud online, your ex could do this at any moment if they haven't already.

Benefit fraud is a serious crime, you have asked for advice and everyone here is telling you to admit the mistake and face the consequences.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Newbie1982 wrote: »
    Sorry about the mistype, he is my ex! I know I've dug my own hole, to be fair its half of the reason we split, he'd been asking me for a long time to cancel the claim so we could do things properly but for one reason and another I never got round to it, I eventually cancelled it a couple of weeks before he moved out as I thought he was going to tell someone. I'm in the position now where my finances are already stretched beyond reason, If I was to contact HMRC now and admit the mistake the money they would take back would cripple me. To be fair though and people wont like this, if the system is so great how hasn't it clocked that my partner was living with me for over 18 months ???

Oh dear, it gets worse! From your OP, I assumed that he had mentioned it once, and that you just forgot to sort it out. From this post, it's obvious that you continued to claim despite knowing that you shouldn't. That's not an oversight, that's intentional. Therefore it is deliberate fraud. You should be ashamed of yourself.

How do you have the audacity to come on MSE and ask for help, yet you clearly don't want to confess that you didn't cancel your claim when you know that you should?

I hope that you are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Newbie1982 wrote: »
    Sorry about the mistype, he is my ex! I know I've dug my own hole, to be fair its half of the reason we split, he'd been asking me for a long time to cancel the claim so we could do things properly but for one reason and another I never got round to it, I eventually cancelled it a couple of weeks before he moved out as I thought he was going to tell someone. I'm in the position now where my finances are already stretched beyond reason, If I was to contact HMRC now and admit the mistake the money they would take back would cripple me. To be fair though and people wont like this, if the system is so great how hasn't it clocked that my partner was living with me for over 18 months ???

You are obviously looking for someone to sympathise with you and tell you it's Ok, but this is not the place. There are extremely knowledgeable people here (I do not count myself among them) who spend a lot of time and effort trying to get people their dues. Having a new poster come here and basically admit to committing fraud, and not only that but want some re assurance that fraud is Ok, is never going to go well.

You have a chance to sort this out, ultimately if you don't this could get very nasty indeed, I don't think you understand the seriousness of your fraudulent behaviour. Sort this out while you can, yes you'll struggle for a while but that has to be better than being a criminal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In reality though, benefit fraud is small (around 1%) .
    But isn't that only counting when people have been prosecuted and proven to have committed fraud. Does it include OP for instance? After all, how can they count fraud cases that they don't know about? The unknown is the scale of the fraud.

By the way OP, your title is misleading, it's not an incorrect claim but a fraudulent one.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    FBaby wrote: »
    But isn't that only counting when people have been prosecuted and proven to have committed fraud. Does it include OP for instance? After all, how can they count fraud cases that they don't know about? The unknown is the scale of the fraud.

By the way OP, your title is misleading, it's not an incorrect claim but a fraudulent one.

Plus there's all the ones where they can'rt prove fraud but they ar found to be claiming when they shouldnt have been through a mistake, and pay back their 20k overpayments at £5 a week...
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    FBaby wrote: »
    Does it include OP for instance? ........By the way OP, your title is misleading, it's not an incorrect claim but a fraudulent one.

It will soon, both the DWP & HMRC are getting much cleverer at detecting criminal activity.

I suspect the OP has shot herself in the foot by shifting her claim from single to couple, and then back to single in a short space of time.

Unless, of course, this is a wind up on behalf of the OP.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    It will soon, both the DWP & HMRC are getting much cleverer at detecting criminal activity.

I suspect the OP has shot herself in the foot by shifting her claim from single to couple, and then back to single in a short space of time.

Unless, of course, this is a wind up on behalf of the OP.

Not only cleverer but also more focused. Until recently my husband was a confidential informer for HMRC, though corporate tax evasion rather than benefit fraud, and they diligently gather data over the long term so that they know they have sufficient evidence to proceed before the suspect is brought in for questioning/ charging.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,372
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Newvie1982 don't let the judgemental comments get to you! You're entitled to claim, they're just jelous and judgemental

Please explain how somebody who has no entitlement to benefits following a change of circumstance where they were no longer single is still entitled to claim. I'm sure we'll all be fascinated by your logic.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Newvie1982 don't let the judgemental comments get to you! You're entitled to claim, they're just jelous and judgemental

Reported as encouraging benefit fraud
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport