PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sewinglady wrote: »
    So, it's payday and time for my first shop. I have planned the week's meals out, checked the freezer and store cupboard and stuck to my list. So - how did the bill end up being £78.68? / £250 Well, truthfully, there was three weeks worth of dog food there but I have still got some work to do! On a more positive front, I wanted some cooked chicken but spotted a yellow stickered set of chicken breasts which I will cook tonight and slice - freezing some for next week. If nothing else, this challenge is keeping me focussed.
    Where do you shop? Have you tried mysupermarket to compare prices and see if it would be cheaper elsewhere? I usually get everything possible from Aldi, it's sooo much cheaper! My basic weekly shop costs around £35 there, but around £55 in Tesco!
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Checking in with a nsd (July 2/31). Yay!

I have a wholemeal loaf in the bread maker. It's chestnut and sage or tomato and lentil soup for tea. Welsh cakes for pudding. I need to make some carrot and fennel seed salad for the lunches tomorrow.

Good luck holding on to your money! Xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    First spend of the month today - a Sainsbobs online order for delivery that came to a total of £34.20 for groceries (after a £6 MOC deduction). Just 2 items for the freezer (cod loins and haddock fishcakes) and the rest for the store cupboards. I also used a voucher for triple loyalty points. :)

In the delivery was a large box of soap powder, a large bottle of washing up liquid and a bottle of white vinegar (I use this instead of fabric conditioner) but these aren't counted here as I have a separate budget for household/cleaning stuff. A bit cross about the soap powder as Sainsbobs don't seem to be doing the 60-wash size box anymore; instead it's a 40-wash box. The cost works out the same (10p per wash if you use their recommended dosage) but I can see I'll probably end up having to buy 3 boxes a year instead of 2. Another sneaky way of getting the customer to buy more, methinks. :(
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,756 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    First grocery shop of July for me today. £16.84 in Home Bargains and £25.25 in Asda, total spent £42.09 and signature updated. I'm hoping that we won't need anything else this week.

I'm eating a lot of salad (lettuce leaves from garden) and the House Troll seems to be existing mostly on pasta with sauces added from the cupboard or from tubs in the freezer with an extra bit of ham and/or cheese added. I also picked the first few raspberries from the garden today.
  • Had a little top up shop today - got 3 cartons of quinoa milk and a loaf of bread from Heron, and carrots, cherries and coriander from Asda (all yellow sticker). Spent a grand total of £1.90 - very pleased with myself! That's bread and milk sorted for the week.
    Got £111.50 left in the grocery budget for this month now.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    First spend of July £4.97 it finished up in Morrisons, I had picked up 2 bunches of reduced flowers £2.40 reduced to 15p each, I ALWAYS check my receipt before leaving shop, nobody behind me and knew I had spent just over £5, he requested over £9, looked at my receipt when he gave it me charged £2.25 for each bunch, he took me to customer services who refunded me £4.50 so free flowers.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    NSD for me today.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Howdy y'all. Checking in with a NSD here. I even wanted to go into a grocery store today while on a walk to test myself to see if I could resist. I accidentally went the other way from the grocery store so I decided I wouldn't exactly tempt fate. :D

Tomorrow I'll get more eggs from the market as OH really liked them. They're big with bright orange yolks so that's a good sign in our book. I'll also go to another market for a bottle of olive oil and to Lidl for toilet paper. Nothing at Lidl really tempts me this week, so I'll try to forge in and out of there quickly. It's "Caribbean Week" and it looks as grim as American Week usually does, so yeah. Nothing appetizing in sight.

TOTAL SO FAR:
    1 / 12 NSD
    €59.08 / €400.00

Hi All
    I've been a lurker for quite a while but now have to really put my mind to cutting down on our food shop due to a cut in income. We are a family of 4, 3 adults and a nearly 5 year old most of the time but have my sons family (2 more adults and 2 small grandchildren) for Sunday lunch/BBQ most weeks. I really don't know how folks manage on their budgets and can only hope to get better myself bit by bit.

Welcome @Flowergirl72. We take all comers here and aren't judgmental. We all started from somewhere and a lot of us are constantly refining and renegotiating with ourselves. :)
    Chloris wrote: »
    Good luck holding on to your money! Xx

I love this phrase! I shall try my darnedest.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Sewinglady wrote: »
    So, it's payday and time for my first shop. I have planned the week's meals out, checked the freezer and store cupboard and stuck to my list. So - how did the bill end up being £78.68? / £250 Well, truthfully, there was three weeks worth of dog food there but I have still got some work to do! On a more positive front, I wanted some cooked chicken but spotted a yellow stickered set of chicken breasts which I will cook tonight and slice - freezing some for next week. If nothing else, this challenge is keeping me focussed.
    I've used up quite a % of my month's money already but I've also got dog food, a big pack of complete which will last me the month and enough tins to do 2/3 weeks, and I'm set up for the month in cleaning etc and store cupboard, so not as bad as it looks. As long as we know we won't keep on spending at that rate, all is good :)
    The challenge does really help keep you focused though I agree :)

pamsdish wrote: »
    First spend of July £4.97 it finished up in Morrisons, I had picked up 2 bunches of reduced flowers £2.40 reduced to 15p each, I ALWAYS check my receipt before leaving shop, nobody behind me and knew I had spent just over £5, he requested over £9, looked at my receipt when he gave it me charged £2.25 for each bunch, he took me to customer services who refunded me £4.50 so free flowers.
    Yay well done :j
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Hey everyone, I'm still here! I just haven't spent any money since my shop on Sunday, so nothing much to report :D

Have a fab Wednesday :)
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business