Driving instructor charging for scrape on car

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Jog on and add her straight to the CUE database. Good luck with her getting insurance.

Won’t affect her insurance in the slightest
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You hit the kerb you fail, couldn’t have been her then

That's a myth.

A gentle nudge of the kerb will be marked as a minor fault. Hitting the kerb hard enough to endanger persons or damage property is serious or dangerous, and hence a fail. It's down to the examiner's judgement.

As for insurance, the instructor is not going to claim. He'd have a fault claim on his record for a repair which will cost less than his excess.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Some really dodgy instructors out there. I encountered one in Gloucestershire. Only an idiot driving instructor would use a car with alloy wheels and get upset if they are scuffed on the kerb.

You need to flat out say "NO" to him. Refuse to pay. Refuse to even talk about paying. Don't enter into discussions. Don't try to be reasonable, just say NO, we're not paying. If you think you have a case, see you in court. End of matter.

If he files in small claims court (99% sure he won't) then come back for advice on defending it. I think you'll win easily.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As everyone else on here, I'd tell him to jog on. Otherwise ask for a copy of the signed contract that says damage to wheels must be paid for. I doubt there is, I know I never signed anything when I was learning to drive.

There is no law saying you have to do a mock test either, sounds like a total cowboy.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    if he is a franchisee or member of an accredited body, complain to them and just move on with life.
    Your word of mouth in not recommending him will do you no harm either.
    It's a shame to drag it out when your daughter should be chuffed she has passed.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Won’t affect her insurance in the slightest

Young driver, recently passed a test and an at fault claim. Of course it won’t.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 April 2018 at 7:57AM
    Young driver, recently passed a test and an at fault claim. Of course it won!!!8217;t.

She isn't claiming though she doesn't have insurance and she isn't at fault

Whilst supervising a learner driver, supervisors are considered to be the person in control of the vehicle
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    She isn't claiming though she doesn't have insuranceand she isn't at fault

Whilst supervising a learner driver, supervisors are considered to be the person in control of the vehicle

She was at fault. She wasn't being supervised, she was on test, and the examiner does not act as a supervisor.

The test is the only time when a learner driver does not need to be supervised [The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, section 16(9).
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I think we are all missing the and i do not understand why some of you are defending a scammer, Shame on you.
    First how did he know she damaged the wheel? did he inspect the car before and after?
    If it was only a small Scrape, did he have a microscope or did he know it was already there?
    Did the trainee and the instructor walk round the car every time a lesson was taken?
    where is the contract that says if you damage my car you will pay for it?
    lets say you paid for a new wheel, how is he going to prove that he used all that money on the wheel?
    how many lessons does he do a day? does he and the trainee inspect the car all the time? does he allow a free period to check the car, or is that included in the hour?

He has a lot to prove, tell him to go away.
    is he a one man operation or is he a franchise?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm also surprised she never failed for that, she should be glad she had a lenient driving examiner that day as 99% of the time you'd have failed for that.

As for the instructor he's in the car 100% of the time with students driving the car, he's bound to know who hit what surely? So it was almost certainly your daughter who did the damage - however, that should be covered by his insurance and you should just tell him a firm no and then ignore all contact unless it gets to the small claims court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure