Driving instructor charging for scrape on car

Options
Hi. My daughter sat her driving test yesterday and she scraped the curb slightly while out. Her driving instructor is now saying she needs to pay for the damage to his alloy. Can he do this? I have never heard of this. I would of thought surely as an instructor if there is any damage by a student it would be covered by his insurance? Can anyone advise please. Thanks

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tell him to jog on, The fee you pay the instructor is to cover his insurance etc

Take it she failed?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely this must happen all the time. It's not like the learner gets to inspect the car (in a hire care type fashion) before and after every lesson so how can he prove it was your daughter.

I'd tell him to stuff it!
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Katiemay26
    Options
    She passed with only 3 minors. So pleased for her but this has put a dampener on it.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, she damaged someone else's property. The instructor may be insured, but the excess is likely to be far greater than the cost of refurbing the wheel, so it would come straight out of their pocket. How is that fair?

How much is he asking?
  • Katiemay26
    Options
    He originally said she would have to pay £400 To replace the alloy. It is only a scrape though so we are waiting to hear if he is getting a price for repair
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    Yes, she damaged someone else's property. The instructor may be insured, but the excess is likely to be far greater than the cost of refurbing the wheel, so it would come straight out of their pocket. How is that fair?

How much is he asking?

The amount of excess is the driving instructors choice, he could have bought a policy with zero excess, how is it fair that the OP's daughter pays out because the instructor gambled (with the amount of excess) and lost?

OP I'd be telling him to jog on as well.

PS OP congrats to your daughter
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The amount of excess is the driving instructors choice, he could have bought a policy with zero excess, how is it fair that the OP's daughter pays out because the instructor gambled (with the amount of excess) and lost?

OP I'd be telling him to jog on as well.

PS OP congrats to your daughter

Jog on and add her straight to the CUE database. Good luck with her getting insurance.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alloys and driving instruction do not mix well!

Was this before the test? If so, it's the instructor's fault.

Or on the test itself? Why didn't she fail? The examiner must have thought it trivial.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The insurance may be different if she's under instruction rather than a test, as technically the instructor is in control.

No way should an alloy cost £400 though. Get the specs and see if you can just buy him an alloy yourself and pay a local tyre place a fiver to swap the tyre.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It would only be reasonable to request this if an agreement was made with the instructor prior to using him.
    Have you entered into a contract without checking all the details.

To me the whole thing sounds ludicrous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport