PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Tuesday 17th April 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light drying up underfoot as yesterday weather was mostly sunshine once the sky had cleared first thing, but did cloud over at times. Today is supposed to be dry and sunny and getting warmer, we'll see. I have washing to peg out, I'll do that shortly.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, I'll wake him in a mo as he has college today.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with a breaded chicken portion for the menfolk. I had just the smoked sausage pasta. Tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Yesterday work was either manic or dead - but the phones are still ringing of the hooks. Keeping busy is my preference though.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Pleased to hear you are being seen Holly.
    Ouch Mrs SD.
    Anyone seen tru?

Yesterday wasn't too bad at work, by 9.30 it was as if I had never been away. Took me a while to get sorted as my lovely friend the Catering Manager had wrapped everything in toilet roll, the screen, keyboard, phones, pens, pads, radio - she was clearly bored!!

Anyway, it's been blowing a gale all night and the rain is battering the windows again, so much for our mini heatwave, don't think it has Scotland's name on it.

Time for a swim, hope you all have a good Tuesday and you see progress today TA. Take care. XX
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning, Holly that sounds positive and helpful, your GP sounds to be a good one. It does help to know your doctor - ours retired about 4 years ago and I've only seen the new one twice and one of those visits was for a flu jab. So I don't know her at all really.

I am up and have been making bacon butties for OH and DS as they are heading out soon for an appointment.

I am going to do a whizz round the house, do some ironing of clothes for me to work in. I did most of the housework over the weekend so it is just a catchup, hopefully might cut down on the Friday Tidy as I am back to the dentist this time just for a check up and see the hygienist.

Other than that, I just plan to read and I hope to complete a baby blanket.

Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,012 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good morning everyone though it's far from good.

Like camelot says there's been a storm lashing all night, high winds and driving rain. Yesterday was mostly lovely though some work colleagues were turned away at the Arran ferry as they were told that they wouldn't get off again for two days. So much for spring!

My only plans for today are work this morning and then drive down to Glasgow. It's a complicated week.

I hope everyone is doing well or getting better. Happy Tuesday.
  • Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. That's an exceptionally caring GP you have got HOLLY. If you were a patient at the practice I am with you wouldn't get that standard of care. In fact you would be lucky to even get an appointment in the first place.

Talking of which, I am going to try and get an appointment for DD when they open at 8.30. She is on the school run at that time and by the time she can use her phone there are no appointments left! What she thought was an allergic reaction whilst we were in Darlington has spread over her whole body, her skin is very tender to touch and she feels worse.

The electrician did as much as he could yesterday and is due back when the appliances and cupboards etc are in. But before that job starts we have the pleasure of the plasterer who is coming to do the walls today. There was a film of dust everywhere yesterday after the electrician had gone but I think today's dust layer will be worse!

Microwave meals yet again today! HM leek & bacon soup out defrosting for lunch with some quiche and a bit of salad (a token gesture towards more healthy eating lol!) Will get one of the minced beef & onion pies out to defrost for tonight, with some frozen mash and peas. Fridge full of desserts, which I don't normally buy, will serve as puds if wanted.

The sky is looking very threatening so it looks as though we will get the band of rain that's spreading across the country. But at least it's milder so that's something I suppose!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for those in need/want of them. Just time for another coffee before I get out of my dressing gown and make myself presentable for the plasterer. No idea what time he is due to arrive. And NAN please don't tell me what a mess your plasterer kicked up! Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning all
    Holly thank you for starting us off, pleased to hear your GP is being so supportive.

Mrs SD
    ouch

Still not sleeping well. Trying to decide what advanced care and end of life care plan for mother is not easy. Writing it down seems even worse.

Did a few jobs in the garden yesterday, but no energy to do much.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Its a bit overcast here this morning but its meant to be sunny all day. Off to work for me which is much quieter atm due to the kids going back to school.

Not sure whats for dinner tonight, I will go and rummage in the freezer after this, or I might do a simple bacon pasta dish with garlic bread.

When I was leaving for work yesterday the man from opposite came over and told me that he had seen someone (in the night) fiddling with his and my dd's cars which both happened to be on the road, he went out and scared the bloke off but told us to check over dd's car before she got in it :eek: we managed to get all four cars on the drive last night so hopefully they will be safer there, but its quite unnerving !!

Right better get on have good days all xx

Tru where are you ? hope you are ok xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm still here :D I had too much going on so decided I had to concentrate on just a few things. So I've been walking a lot, working a lot, talking to more people, except the nice local man with the lovely dog – for some reason Scampi throws the most horrendous tantrum whenever he sees them so I have to turn and go back go back the way we came or hide behind a parked car til they've gone past, lol. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]End result (not really [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]end[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] – I'm just starting!) -[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My leg is much better, I still have a bit of a limp and it aches a lot, but in a just-had-a-good-workout way, not a OMG-pain-I-can't-possibly-walk-up-the-stairs way :D[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Work feels so easy, I started to groan at the sight of the paperwork but now I can't wait to get stuck in. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Craft stuff – I'm coming up with loads of ideas, some good, some don't work out at all, but it doesn't matter, the point is that I'm getting the ideas in the first place. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi is worn out from all the walking and running about so is more relaxed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I wrote that as a list just because I like lists :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been given some pallet stacking frames which are perfect for raised beds. Scampi digs and runs about on the veg patch so he's not allowed on there, but won't dig pots or run over them when there are plants in them. He seems to view the beds as large pots so he'll be allowed on to 'help' :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning chums and thank goodness you have such a caring practice and doctor HollyH. onwards and upwards honey

Looks like it may be a nice day today according to the forecast. I have a
    U3A coffee morning at Dobbies this morning,and tonight its back to my usual pub quiz :)so no cooking tonight for me.

All the holiday washing and ironing is done and put away and I have no shopping to get so its a play day for me today :)

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing ,enjoy if you can

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Silver-Oldie I am an only one. I have had to do this for my mother. I would rather end of life be at the care home than in a hospital. My mother has dementia . Still sorting out funeral as I have only visited one funeral director.

If ever you wish to pm. Feel free to.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure