My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wow..what a lovely thing for your mum to do. You could treat yourself to something small and save the rest.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What a lovely Mum! And nice to get a cheque from the water company too. :)

It's snowed on and off all day here so you may get your indoor day tomorrow.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Wow..what a lovely thing for your mum to do. You could treat yourself to something small and save the rest.
    She is a lovely mum,I can’t actually think of anything that I want to buy which is unusual for me :rotfl:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    What a lovely Mum! And nice to get a cheque from the water company too. :)

It's snowed on and off all day here so you may get your indoor day tomorrow.
    The snow has stopped here now but it was forcast for the early hours of the morning so I will see what the marooning brings
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,564 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    What a nice thing for your mum to do. Having a bit of a savings buffer gives you some security and knowing the money is there for an occasional treat is nice.

I love horse riding too and when I was younger used to muck out stables in exchange for free rides at our local stables. A few years ago my DD bought me a voucher for a hack around some local farmland at a riding stables and we had a really nice few hours. I would definitely keep that up if I were you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What a lovely thing for your mum to do, mine says that as she gets older she finds less and less things to spend her money on which means she can afford to be generous.
  • What a lovely mum you have. Maybe you could have another savings pot just for you. We all need things from time to time and it would be nice to know you have money there ready, maybe even adding a little to it every month even if it's only a few quid.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Onebrokelady
    Omg I don’t believe this,I have paid for the vets bills for my daughters cat and she has paid me the money back,I checked today and she has only gone and paid it into my old bloody account with NatWest that I’m not using anymore,I can’t accsess this account and it’s part of my DMP as I’m paying off the overdraft,they now have £200 of my money,I have no cards or anything to get into this account to get it back,she knows I have a new bank account and I told her I would give her my details but she just went and paid it into maybe old account,don’t know what to do now
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Omg I don’t believe this,I have paid for the vets bills for my daughters cat and she has paid me the money back,I checked today and she has only gone and paid it into my old bloody account with NatWest that I’m not using anymore,I can’t accsess this account and it’s part of my DMP as I’m paying off the overdraft,they now have £200 of my money,I have no cards or anything to get into this account to get it back,she knows I have a new bank account and I told her I would give her my details but she just went and paid it into maybe old account,don’t know what to do now

If it was me, I would go into the bank and explain that it is an account that you no longer use and therefore don't have debit card etc. and ask if you can withdraw it or transfer it to another account. I would think if you take ID such as passport, driving licence etc that would prove who you are. don't mention the DMP and see if you can get the money back before they realise or take the money. If not, at least you know you have paid £200 towards your debts.
    Do you not have online banking still with it? If you did, then you could transfer it yourself.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Was going to say can you still access it with online banking? Annoying though!

I used to ride as a teen and until I fell pregnant with my daughter at 24. My daughter rode from age 6 until just before Xmas (so age 13) but she lost interest. I would love to go back to it, but finding time is hard and it is super costly and thee is always more important things to pay for. I have ridden a few times with my daughter on holiday (galloping down a beach on the isle of Mull was awesome) but found that I was less enthusiastic than I thought I would be? Itseems that being older I enjoyed it less thank remembered? Ah, maybeoneday,I obviously don't miss it as much as I think or I would find a way for it to happen.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure