PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• Edwink- if you, like me garden a lot and have "old" face creams that have gone off, you can use them up as gardening hand cream. As hands need a good wash afterwards, the cream seems to make the soil easier to remove. I hope fellow declutterers aren't disgusted with my penny-pinching decluttering. Also works with creams that you don't like the smell of. Sorry, fragrance.

retiredinfrance, I am in awe :dance: I hope you are disposing of the containers in a responsible manner :rotfl:

A few more items out of the house (one day I hope to say “out of my home” :rotfl: )

B334 various bits of food packaging binned
    B335 Tin washed & recycled
    B336 - B337 Plastic Milk Cartons washed & recycled
    B338 - B339 Glass jars washed & recycled
    B340 Knackered double oven glove binned

B341 Broken Plastic water gun (used to scare cats from my wild bird friendly garden :rotfl:) binned

To a Clutter Free 2018

MrsSD
    B341/B2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • MrsSD, of course I recycle very responsibly. Here in my district we got a reduction in a tax(similar to council tax) of 9 euros pa because we reduced our bin collections and we have super local "tips".
    221 a black Tshirt to CS. I could send more but they are in good shape and I just need to stop buying them for a while.
  • Rootle
    Rootle Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    14/52 - 2 pairs of white, light curtains to the recycling centre (not even sure how I've come to have them?! I've never used them)
  • I think is time I stepped back in! Been decluttering the past few weeks and managed to shift a huge kitchen unit to someone on Facebook and a car load of DVDs and clothes to the charity shop.

I have a bag of food for my partner to take home due to not checking for milk and a huge pile of old paperwork to shred, which will be today's job I think.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 5:37PM
    Edwink- if you, like me garden a lot and have "old" face creams that have gone off, you can use them up as gardening hand cream. As hands need a good wash afterwards, the cream seems to make the soil easier to remove. I hope fellow declutterers aren't disgusted with my penny-pinching decluttering. Also works with creams that you don't like the smell of. Sorry, fragrance.

I love your penny pinching because I am a penny pincher too retiredinfrance :cool:

Good idea about the face creams BUT the problem I have is that I also have a load of hand creams to use up too. My SIL is one of the most wasteful people you could ever meet. Seriously she just does not care. She has enough money so she spends it on cosmetics like Decleor, Loccitane and Kath Kidston to name but a few. She opens the pot or tube squeezes a bit out to try it or smell it and shoves it in a drawer and that's it. Her wastefulness depresses me if I am honest. We are like chalk and cheese when it comes to money. I would say I have around "at least" 5 years supply of cosmetics that have been opened and had a finger stuck in them. She is the same with shampoo's and conditioner's. It is appalling, absolutely appalling what she does. Does she have a problem? Yes she certainly does but sadly the other family members just let her get on with it so the shopping parcels keep arriving. I have sat her down and had really long chats with her and she has literately promised me she will use up what she has BUT she never does and when she can not fit anymore in to her bedroom drawers offer them to me or else she throws them in the bin. The latest lot was over 50 bottles of nail varnish, yes over 50, only 4 of them opened which I gave to my friend. The others were sent via a neighbour through a charity to young teenage girls in somewhere like Kenya. A place where young girls and their families do not have the money to buy such luxuries in their country. So I suppose at least some have gone to really good use and I bet those bottles will be used up right until the very last drop from the bottom of the bottle.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Edwink, I am so glad that you are doing some good for young women elsewhere in the world who really appreciate nail varnish. I, too don't understand people who can waste so much. Even if they can afford it, why waste. She seems a bit like my sister who is convinced that the dearer something is, the better it is. She used to give her rejects to our mother who used up a range of foundation and eyeshadow colours and as her eyesight wasn't the best , she used to look a trifle strange at times, but neither she nor I were bothered. She had been through WW2 and was always pleased not to be without "girly" things.
    Congratulations on being able to find a good home for the stuff.
    To add to my pile, I took the car for a service yesterday and decluttered the rubbish from the cubbyholes in front. Apart from one pen and 7 coins the rest was binned today. will adjust total next time.
  • Edwink, just read on "A Simpler Life" about someone who donates toiletries to a Women's Refuge. That's an idea for a decluttering destination. Also, I support a very small charity that does work in Nepal and fired up with your post I am going to send out nice soap or something appropriate for the women's culture to make them feel good.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 April 2018 at 9:36PM
    Edwink, just read on "A Simpler Life" about someone who donates toiletries to a Women's Refuge. That's an idea for a decluttering destination.

Thank you for mentioning that. I also read about it last year somewhere but I looked in to it online and it stated only new toiletries and not used ones unfortunately :(

Had a friend round this evening and she has gone home with quite a few opened ones for herself and her daughter. YAY!!! That's another 18 gone. And best of all I know they will use them all up too so am thrilled about those ones going to a good home.

Plus I used up another hand cream tonight by using some myself and for the last bit in the tube I pinned my hubby down and squirted one blob on each of his legs. He gets such dry skin but wont use anything unless I force him to and tonight I won :D

So that's another 19 on my decluttering total :D

Edwink

424/2018
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 8:27AM
    Retiredinfrance I must start using up the hotel moisturiser pots as handcream. I will go and leave a couple in the greenhouse as I often go out just to water and start digging, planting or weeding and come back into the house a couple of hours later.
    Thanks for your post saying even one item out of the door is worthwhile. Made me feel less despondent.

517 broken cheap glasses thrown.
    518 -519 plastic bags recycled as broken and beyond use.
    520 rubbish from my car binned.
    521 bag of shredding done.
    522 a pair of socks with holes in.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    523 an old bottle of mouthwash found at the back of the bathroom cupboard has been thrown.
    524-526 packets of OOD seeds have been sown in the hope that they will grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure