PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

We're hoping to move house in 10 days (although not exchanged on the new place yet eeeeeek) and I'm wondering whether to sign up for the RM redirection service or not.

I have made a pretty comprehensive list (I think) of organisations to contact once we have exchanged on the new place, to update our address. We get very little other mail, in fact the majority would be junk mail which isn't addressed to us anyway......

Has anyone else used this service recently? What's your verdict? **stressing**

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As per Royal Mail website:

Up to 3 months £31.99
    Up to 6 months £43.99
    Up to 12 months £62.99

I know everyone feels pretty poor after buying a house, but it's hardly gonna break the bank is it?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There'll be an overlap period where things are already in the system to come to you, and not everyone will update their records instantly, so I would always want at least an initial period of redirection.

And there'll be people who need told twice, or who don't normally post anything to you but suddenly start doing so, or who you forgot about.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 12:18PM
    Some important organisations only write to you once a year, pension providers for instance with your annual statement. I have always had a 12 month redirection and see it as very useful. You really don't want your buyers starting to throw things away after a week or two. £62.99 is peanuts compared with the possible inconvenience.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Redirection is possibly more useful in stopping the next occupants of your old house using your name for identity theft. Once you've considered the cost for 3 months you might as well pay the same amount again and get the rest of the year.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Sandhy
    Sandhy Posts: 217 Forumite
    It's worth while pointing out the price for re-directing is per each surname.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I used it and thought it good value. Most organisations did change my address on request but there was still mail dribbling through several months later and as for Xmas Cards!!!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Sandhy wrote: »
    It's worth while pointing out the price for re-directing is per each surname.

Silly question, but as someone with an unusual surname who is marrying someone with a 'normal surname' what happens if mr and mrs smith sell to mr and Mrs smith?
  • We always do it. Just not worth the hassle of missing something important
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'd do it, there's always something completely random that arrives in month 11 that you'd forgotten about!
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Did it 3 months ago and glad I did because despite thinking I had told everyone, I hadn't by a long way. Lots of correspondence you get just once a year. We are in rented, move in 2 months to flat we have just bought, will do a redirection from the rented and renew the one from our old house for at least another 6 months.

But fortunately all my winning and gifts and inheritances I apparently have had over the last few months I only get told by email so luckily contact with Nigeria continues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure