PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:18AM
    mattpaint wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good organic tinned Italian tomatoes?

For organic ones - as you requested - then you could always try your local health food store (if you have a "genuine" one - rather than a "chain - push the supplements one").

Though even a "chain/supplements" one should have canned organic tomatoes.

Personally - I alternate between Tesco organic canned ones and the ones from my local health food store (genuine variety). Both those places only have one choice of canned organic tomatoes - so it's Hobson's Choice with them. But, if you're in a bigger location, then hopefully you'll have more choice.

EDIT; Just had quick check in my larder. I've only got the Tesco ones in at the moment - they are Italian and ready-chopped.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Canned tomatoes - I now buy a brand called ATP, from the "World Foods" aisle".. They are cheap and really good, but I must admit I never thought of looking to see whether they were plastic-lined.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    For organic ones - as you requested - then you could always try your local health food store (if you have a "genuine" one - rather than a "chain - push the supplements one").

Though even a "chain/supplements" one should have canned organic tomatoes.

Personally - I alternate between Tesco organic canned ones and the ones from my local health food store (genuine variety). Both those places only have one choice of canned organic tomatoes - so it's Hobson's Choice with them. But, if you're in a bigger location, then hopefully you'll have more choice.

EDIT; Just had quick check in my larder. I've only got the Tesco ones in at the moment - they are Italian and ready-chopped.

Thank you. I usually use Organico so trying to stock up on those but my local co-operative (not the supermarket) can't get more in and they barely have enough as it is.

How are the Tesco ones? The Waitrose ones are good but they're closing the stores here soon.
  • I'm not sure what is going on but my local supermarkets seem to have lots of empty shelves. We haven't had much fizzy drinks for weeks, the freezer section is almost empty, didn't have the butter I normally use. I've been in Sainsbury's and Aldi this week and seems much the same in both. Also hardly any bacon and what there was seemed to be smoked which DH doesn't like. I live in a holiday area so maybe it is the visitors, roll on September when life goes back to normal.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not sure what is going on but my local supermarkets seem to have lots of empty shelves. We haven't had much fizzy drinks for weeks, the freezer section is almost empty, didn't have the butter I normally use. I've been in Sainsbury's and Aldi this week and seems much the same in both. Also hardly any bacon and what there was seemed to be smoked which DH doesn't like. I live in a holiday area so maybe it is the visitors, roll on September when life goes back to normal.

This is what I have been noticing over the last couple of months. The fizzy drinks I guess was because of the reported carbon dioxide shortage, and I know some of the barbecue food shelves were stripped because of the good weather, but in my local s/market it is what I consider to be basics that have been missing - the tinned tomatoes/pulses/oven chips/dried fruit. I don't live in a holiday area so not sure what can be the cause. I actually didn't go shopping this weekend as I decided to clear the freezer of all the odds and sods that accumulate, so some "make it up" style meals for a few days. Have started to make a list of what I do want to store for autumn/winter/brexit, but am also trying to be mindful of the budget as I have seen prices creeping up over the last couple of months as well. Cat food seems to be one of the costliest items on my list as my old puss only eats a certain brand. It's not the most costly brand thank goodness, but it has gone up quite a bit recently. I have also noticed the milk shelves in my local Tesco Express have been a bit sparse over the last 3 weeks. I did ask the manager about it but he just shrugged and walked away. I don't visit very often for myself but take my elderly neighbour round once or twice a week.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    No shortages here but I noticed that prices are already rising, especially dairy. Milk still the same price but yoghurt, cream and butter had all gone up in Sainsbury's, not been to Aldi this week. I'm running the freezer down now, so haven't bothered with a big shop.

As a matter of interest, What sort of things were missing......was it fresh produce or dry and tinned goods.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Our local Aldi was completely out of all squash, Sainsbury's and Asda was very low on stock, cannot find Lime Squash anywhere...
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No shortages here but I noticed that prices are already rising, especially dairy. Milk still the same price but yoghurt, cream and butter had all gone up in Sainsbury's, not been to Aldi this week. I'm running the freezer down now, so haven't bothered with a big shop.

As a matter of interest, What sort of things were missing......was it fresh produce or dry and tinned goods.

It has been mixture in Morrisons. Dried fruit seems to have been scarce for weeks now, although I did get some last week (no sultanas though). Tinned tomatoes/lentils/chickpeas were down to a few tins per shelf - maybe everyone has started stocking up already? Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. but definitely some increases in price. The cereal aisle even seemed a bit sparse os well, although I managed to get some porridge oats. I shop at different times of the day as well - not just the end of the day when you might expect shelves to be empty. I can't decide whether it is actual shortage of goods or the shop's re-stocking policy. Funnily I noticed that there was plenty of organic milk on the shelves in Tesco, but not so much pasteurised (neighbour won't drink organic as she doesn't trust it!).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 6:03PM
    mattpaint wrote: »
    Thank you. I usually use Organico so trying to stock up on those but my local co-operative (not the supermarket) can't get more in and they barely have enough as it is.

How are the Tesco ones? The Waitrose ones are good but they're closing the stores here soon.

The Tesco ones seem fine to me.

My sympathies on losing Waitrose:( - I think the nearest one to me these days is Cardiff (ie way too far away to be a viable proposition:().

Re shortages of common goods in the shelves these days - I had it explained to me that the area I'm living in does have periods of time where they clear "standards" off the shelves to some extent and put on more the sort of thing holidaymakers are deemed to want and that that is what is happening at the moment here.

It's something I never noticed prior to moving here - but I think that's down to my home city is one that "everyone wants - all the time". But current area has "holiday period of the year" and things are different because of that. Yep....someone else agreed with me earlier today that there's a lot more holidaymakers around this year than previously. I've actually found myself navigating round people on the streets a fair bit recently -- which is something I'm not used to here - as there are a lot less people here. Add the "long shorts"/generally sporty gear and higher proportion of taller/more confident-looking people and average age going down... and yep....holidaymakers then.
  • No shortages here but I noticed that prices are already rising, especially dairy. Milk still the same price but yoghurt, cream and butter had all gone up in Sainsbury's, not been to Aldi this week. I'm running the freezer down now, so haven't bothered with a big shop.

It was a mixture here, couldn't see any logic in it. No unsmoked bacon, not much selection with butter, only sugar was granulated (I was looking for demerara) the only frozen veg was peas. The fresh fruit and veg aisle seemed a bit bare as well but they had what I wanted. Nothing I can't live without but apart from the snow a few months ago I haven't seen the supermarket so empty in years.
    The Tesco ones seem fine to me.

My sympathies on losing Waitrose:( - I think the nearest one to me these days is Cardiff (ie way too far away to be a viable proposition:().

Re shortages of common goods in the shelves these days - I had it explained to me that the area I'm living in does have periods of time where they clear "standards" off the shelves to some extent and put on more the sort of thing holidaymakers are deemed to want and that that is what is happening at the moment here.

It's something I never noticed prior to moving here - but I think that's down to my home city is one that "everyone wants - all the time". But current area has "holiday period of the year" and things are different because of that. Yep....someone else agreed with me earlier today that there's a lot more holidaymakers around this year than previously. I've actually found myself navigating round people on the streets a fair bit recently -- which is something I'm not used to here - as there are a lot less people here. Add the "long shorts"/generally sporty gear and higher proportion of taller/more confident-looking people and average age going down... and yep....holidaymakers then.

I live in a holiday area but I've been here 20 years and I've never seen this before. Holidaymaker wise it doesn't seem any busier than usual but more British people this year, I've seen hardly any european reg cars. Not sure why as with the pound weaker I would have thought we would be an attractive proposition but maybe they are staying in places like London rather than a bucket and spade destination.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback