(indirect) discrimination of disablity at interview?

1235»

Comments

• I have to ask, are you in Scotland?

Yes, Glasgow why?

3rd time lucky....

WHAT REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS DID YOU ASK THEM TO MAKE???

I would of assumed I made it clear, and the 2nd time you posted I was unsure if you were talking to me as saw a quote for someone else and now realise you were quoting yourself and it was also late.

I do find it rude you had to "shout" now though

I also think its difficult now to give an answer as the response either way would easily be seen as a flaw of my own, its also quite difficult to self explain what should be adjusted to someone else I generally in everyday life ask for a bit of awareness rather than ignoring any flaws outright I generally try and be careful when I mention to a employer about adjustments because I don't want them to treat me any/much differently but thats difficult to put into words as treating me different is just that. I don't know how to reply to you without it potentially seeming I haven't done enough even if I was being honest.

sangie595 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute. You told them you had a disability at interview. Not before interview? If so, how on earth did you expect that to make a reasonable adjustment on the spot and in the middle of interviewing people. That's not reasonable. It would be totally unreasonable!

That said, I think you are wasting your time. You have no evidence of any discrimination. Whether there was or wasn't, evidence is required. You don't have it.

I never said that, I made them aware before at the first opportunity and even on the application it had a section for disability and I was asked after my telephone interview about did I need any (physical) support as they saw disability and assumed physical.

With the questionaire being mainly focused on empathy and emotions and knowing I struggle in certain ways with it as do many people with autism I went in assuming rightly they would question me on emotions, so I made clear off the bat that I was autistic and wasn't sure if they had been made aware and was told they were not.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Never, in the field of human endeavour, has an OP written so much and actually said so little. This story is inconsistent, all over the place, and totally without any actual solid facts. I therefore have to conclude that either, if the interview went along the same lines, it is obvious why the OP didn't get the job; or that we are being strung along. It doesn't matter what point is made, the OP argues it's wrong.

If you seriously think you have a case. get a lawyer. I'm out.
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    Never, in the field of human endeavour, has an OP written so much and actually said so little. This story is inconsistent, all over the place, and totally without any actual solid facts. I therefore have to conclude that either, if the interview went along the same lines, it is obvious why the OP didn't get the job; or that we are being strung along. It doesn't matter what point is made, the OP argues it's wrong.

If you seriously think you have a case. get a lawyer. I'm out.

I don't plan to or ever wanted to get a lawyer, can you explain the inconsistencies? And its all over the place yes tiredness can do that to someone and of course we don't have solid facts thats one of the points I am going off guesswork.

I haven't argued anything if someone has a what if for something I have another what if in actually confused to why you think I believe its wrong as I have never said at any point what people have said is wrong, if anything I put words like "maybe" but also at that point added in things.

And no the interview didn't go a similar way im just trying to be honest, a little bit of laid back not quite humour think of it more as if someone gives an opinion it makes me think of something and I am just being inquisitive about or it makes my mind rush and think about possible scenarios so I add another one that to me isn't arguing it at most can be countering one what if with another it makes me think I am being told its all my fault for not getting the job which can be correct in one way but I put a lot of effort into it and was polite and formal.

As a genuine interest what amount of information is normal? Im confused over it.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    sharpsharp wrote: »
    I don't plan to or ever wanted to get a lawyer, can you explain the inconsistencies?

Lawyers/solicitors offer you professional and legal advice for things such as discrimination.

You may also seek free advice from ACAS, as well as CAB (let me know if you don't understand the abbreviations).

Aside from that, you've got no recourse. Nobody on here is going to give you some magical solution. You've got an "argue the toss" situation here, if you want to argue the toss then go get professional help as per above. If you don't, then don't and accept the outcome.
    And its all over the place yes tiredness can do that to someone and of course we don't have solid facts thats one of the points I am going off guesswork.

Respectfully, the "autism" is a good excuse for being "all over the place" so maybe just stick with that ;) Not to imply that you are making the autism up like, but keep it simple like!

The rest of your post was waffle..
  • Les79 wrote: »
    Lawyers/solicitors offer you professional and legal advice for things such as discrimination.

You may also seek free advice from ACAS, as well as CAB (let me know if you don't understand the abbreviations).

Aside from that, you've got no recourse. Nobody on here is going to give you some magical solution. You've got an "argue the toss" situation here, if you want to argue the toss then go get professional help as per above. If you don't, then don't and accept the outcome.

Respectfully, the "autism" is a good excuse for being "all over the place" so maybe just stick with that ;) Not to imply that you are making the autism up like, but keep it simple like!

The rest of your post was waffle..

Regardless of if it was "waffle" or not and I don't disagree I tend to waffle it comes across right now as being told I must act a certain way to that I say lighten up chill whatever.

Taking autism out of it for the moment can someone not be tired and write informally?

To bring it back in as I say I have a inquisitive mind which is why I like to question things its not out of spite, not intended as waffle and in that sense my posting should not be taken negatively. is it not a good thing that I don't roll over and just say oh well and look for ways to improve or what went wrong? And the company allows you to reapply after 6 months so I was thinking would it be worth reapplying if I am going to have the hurdle in the personality test.

I accept the outcome but doesn't mean I can't feel a bit upset about it I opened the thread purely on my curiosity and a outside opinion and discussion on the situation I feel that better than going to my agency advisor who knows me and just being told oh well or that doesn't sound right.
  • sharpsharp wrote: »
    Yes, Glasgow why?

I would of assumed I made it clear, and the 2nd time you posted I was unsure if you were talking to me as saw a quote for someone else and now realise you were quoting yourself and it was also late.

I do find it rude you had to "shout" now though

I also think its difficult now to give an answer as the response either way would easily be seen as a flaw of my own, its also quite difficult to self explain what should be adjusted to someone else I generally in everyday life ask for a bit of awareness rather than ignoring any flaws outright I generally try and be careful when I mention to a employer about adjustments because I don't want them to treat me any/much differently but thats difficult to put into words as treating me different is just that. I don't know how to reply to you without it potentially seeming I haven't done enough even if I was being honest.

I never said that, I made them aware before at the first opportunity and even on the application it had a section for disability and I was asked after my telephone interview about did I need any (physical) support as they saw disability and assumed physical.

With the questionaire being mainly focused on empathy and emotions and knowing I struggle in certain ways with it as do many people with autism I went in assuming rightly they would question me on emotions, so I made clear off the bat that I was autistic and wasn't sure if they had been made aware and was told they were not.

Give me strength, you want the employer to make adjustments but they've got to guess what you want....

Wow.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    sharpsharp wrote: »
    Regardless of if it was "waffle" or not and I don't disagree I tend to waffle it comes across right now as being told I must act a certain way to that I say lighten up chill whatever.

Taking autism out of it for the moment can someone not be tired and write informally?

To bring it back in as I say I have a inquisitive mind which is why I like to question things its not out of spite, not intended as waffle and in that sense my posting should not be taken negatively. is it not a good thing that I don't roll over and just say oh well and look for ways to improve or what went wrong? And the company allows you to reapply after 6 months so I was thinking would it be worth reapplying if I am going to have the hurdle in the personality test.

I accept the outcome but doesn't mean I can't feel a bit upset about it I opened the thread purely on my curiosity and a outside opinion and discussion on the situation I feel that better than going to my agency advisor who knows me and just being told oh well or that doesn't sound right.
    You need to speak to one or more of the following about this:

- Solicitor/Lawyer
    - ACAS
    - CAB
    - NHS professional
    - Your carer (if you have one)
  • Give me strength, you want the employer to make adjustments but they've got to guess what you want....

Wow.

Never said that.

Les79 wrote: »
    You need to speak to one or more of the following about this:

- Solicitor/Lawyer
    - ACAS
    - CAB
    - NHS professional
    - Your carer (if you have one)

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors