NI Credits problem

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If you were claiming ESA then you wouldn't be able to do this without a fit note, even if it's for NI credits only. You would still need to go through the same process as someone who was receiving payments... IE assessments etc.

I'm certain it's the same thing for UC because you have a limited capability for work, which is why you're only working 10 hours i'm assuming? I'm sure others will have more knowledge on the UC part than i do and will see this and help you further.

I don't think that my area has been UC'd yet - and I thought that a "fit note" was issued by a GP when you return to work after being off sick
    I haven't had a single day off sick for almost 12 years !!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You may need one to claim you have restricted ability to work.

Nowadays 'fit notes are issued not sick notes.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    check what's in your area here. If it's a full UC area you can't claim ESA. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate as sheramber stated sick notes are now known as fit note. Even if you are able to claim ESA you won't be able to without the fit note and going through exactly the same process as everyone else.
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 8 August 2018 at 4:11PM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    check what's in your area here. If it's a full UC area you can't claim ESA. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate as sheramber stated sick notes are now known as fit note. Even if you are able to claim ESA you won't be able to without the fit note and going through exactly the same process as everyone else.
    Surprisingly - my area is FULLY UC'd
    I am not tryiing to claim any benefits - just NI credjts - so why do tbey want to know about my wife ?
    I am working - so how will I get a sick / fit note ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Surprisingly - my area is FULLY UC'd
    I am not tryiing to claim any benefits - just NI credjts - so why do tbey want to know about my wife ?
    I am working - so how will I get a sick / fit note ?

Your fit note will state what work you are able to do whereas a sick note stated your were not able to work because........

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/464395/fit-note-patients-employees-guidance-sept-2015.pdf
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    I think that you and your wife will need to go through the whole process, including a fit note for you that says you're limited to working part time because xyz (i.e. whatever your GP's opinion is of your fitness to work), and probably a work capability assessment. Because you're askign for your NI credits to be paid, if they find that you're fit to work then you'd need to demonstrate that you're job hunting in order to receive credits. I know it's 'just credits' but that amounts to a lot of money in the future
  • 50Twuncle
    w06 wrote: »
    I think that you and your wife will need to go through the whole process, including a fit note for you that says you're limited to working part time because xyz (i.e. whatever oyour GP's opinion is of your fitness to work), and probably a work capability assessment. Because you're askign for your NI credits to be paid, if they find that you're fit to work then you'd need to demonstrate that you're job hunting in order to receive credits. I know it's 'just credits' but that amounts to a lot of money in the future
    But I have a job at present - so why should I job search ?
    Seems a bit pointless !!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seems a bit pointless !!

Did you read the link in post 7?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Seems a bit pointless !!

You are not working enough to get NI credits through work so you are asking DWP to credit you with them. In return you either have to have limited capability for work or be looking for more work. You can’t simply limit your work (for whatever reason) and expect to get the credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    unless DWP are happy that there is a valid reason why you can't work 35 hours a week, which they ascertain via the fit note and then work capability assessment, then that's what they expect you to aim for - by finding a second or alternative job if you're working 10 hours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure