PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property Ownership

Options
Hi,
I need your advice urgently regarding the ownership of my property. I feel v insecure as I have kids and relationship between me and my husband is not too good.

Two years back I purchased a Buy To Let flat with all my savings (from my previous jobs). The flat in currently owned by me and my husband. I wanted to be the sole legal owner of the flat as I have fully paid for it but bank approved the mortgage for both of us on the basis of my husband's job. Hence I was under this impression that I can not buy a property solely on my name. My husband however gave me a declaration of trust which specifies property will be held on trust for themselves as tenants in common in a ratio of 1% to my husband's name and 99% to mine. The registration section of DoT says applicant agrees to apply to land registry for entry of standard form A restriction against title of property; which perhaps indicate that its not registered in LR yet. Is it important/required to register declaration of trust to be registered in LR. Can this DoT document be revoked in future in any way? In case I die, will my kids inherit my property (99%) or it will be transferred fully to my husband?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RaraAvis wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need your advice urgently regarding the ownership of my property. I feel v insecure as I have kids and relationship between me and my husband is not too good.

Two years back I purchased a Buy To Let flat with all my savings (from my previous jobs). The flat in currently owned by me and my husband. I wanted to be the sole legal owner of the flat as I have fully paid for it but bank approved the mortgage for both of us on the basis of my husband's job. Hence I was under this impression that I can not buy a property solely on my name. My husband however gave me a declaration of trust which specifies property will be held on trust for themselves as tenants in common in a ratio of 1% to my husband's name and 99% to mine. The registration section of DoT says applicant agrees to apply to land registry for entry of standard form A restriction against title of property; which perhaps indicate that its not registered in LR yet. Is it important/required to register declaration of trust to be registered in LR. Can this DoT document be revoked in future in any way? In case I die, will my kids inherit my property (99%) or it will be transferred fully to my husband?
    As tenants in common you can leave your share to whomever you like.

But as a married couple, you both own everything jointly - there is no my or yours, just ours.

Your DOT may be meaningless, a court can choose to disregard it.
  • RaraAvis
    RaraAvis Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Being married couple automatically implies that property is held jointly?
    Where, like in which document, does it specify that property is purchased as tenants in common? I have seen this only in my DOT. Land registry document doesn't specify the 'joint' or 'tenant in common' status. Any idea about Form A restriction against title ?? what is it?

Considering my current situation, based on DOT, can I leave my 99% share to my kids if I write a will?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Being married couple automatically implies that property is held jointly?
    Where, like in which document, does it specify that property is purchased as tenants in common? I have seen this only in my DOT. Land registry document doesn't specify the 'joint' or 'tenant in common' status. Any idea about Form A restriction against title ?? what is it?

Considering my current situation, based on DOT, can I leave my 99% share to my kids if I write a will?
    It depends, assuming you're headed to a split a judge would decide how assets are separated.

Yes being married means you share all assets - I thought that was obvious?
  • RaraAvis
    Options
    I am sorry My knowledge about systems in UK is quite basic :-( hence I am asking things ....
  • RaraAvis
    Options
    So as I understand, being a married person, I can not own anything alone and I can not only transfer anything to my kids unless I purchased as Tenants in Common (which currently I am not sure about). Also the DOT seems to only specifies proportion of beneficial interest (like income and right to sell etc) but not the legal ownership status...?
    applying for form A restriction in LR, does it protect me in any ways? or getting another type of document?
    Is there any way I can change my legal ownership in land registry in future may be or no way out for me?
  • Comms69
    Options
    So as I understand, being a married person, I can not own anything alone and I can not only transfer anything to my kids unless I purchased as Tenants in Common (which currently I am not sure about). Also the DOT seems to only specifies proportion of beneficial interest (like income and right to sell etc) but not the legal ownership status...?
    applying for form A restriction in LR, does it protect me in any ways? or getting another type of document?
    Is there any way I can change my legal ownership in land registry in future may be or no way out for me?

You can own things. Ofcourse.

In theory everything is owned jointly. In practice personal items are exempt. This is a significant asset and if you are going to divorce you need to be careful.

You don't want to be hiding assets (not suggesting you are, but it's entering that territory)
  • RaraAvis
    Options
    thank you. these links are very helpful. I have LR title deed with me, which simply mentions our names and nothing about 'joint' or 'tenant in common' status. Where is the transfer deed, is it kept by solicitors or should I have a copy?
  • RaraAvis
    Options
    I just found this from a website named rocketlawyer which is v different to what you told me:

What does a declaration of trust do?
    A declaration of trust confirms the true ownership of a property in the proportions contributed by each party regardless of the title entries at the land registry. It can allow an owner not protected by being a registered owner of a property at the land registry to actually be an owner and be protected as such. The declaration of trust can be noted at the land registry, alerting future purchasers that the registered owner is not alone in owning the property.
  • Comms69
    Options
    I just found this from a website named rocketlawyer which is v different to what you told me:

What does a declaration of trust do?
    A declaration of trust confirms the true ownership of a property in the proportions contributed by each party regardless of the title entries at the land registry. It can allow an owner not protected by being a registered owner of a property at the land registry to actually be an owner and be protected as such. The declaration of trust can be noted at the land registry, alerting future purchasers that the registered owner is not alone in owning the property.
    Does it mention marriage in that article?....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure