Help me choose a Global Fund?

Evening All,

Following many of your contributions to my previous thread, where I looked to gain opinions on whether I should reduce my Fever Tree holding, it was kindly pointed out that even though my intentions were in a good place, I was stupid to spread around £3500 (not including fever tree) across multiple tech, asia & emerging markets funds, based on the size of the amounts and the cost of the fees!

I have, for the moment, decided to keep my holding in Fever Tree, however this is something I will reduce in the near future.

From reading various threads, and a few suggestions, I'm looking at consolidating these funds (now I've requested the sale via HL) into a Global Fund, equity was suggested.

I've listed a few I've looked into below, but looking to see if anyone has any alternative suggestions or any feedback on any?

Architas Birthstar 2046-50
Baillie Gifford Global Alpha Growth
Black Rock Consensus 100
Black Rock Consensus 85
Black Rock Consensus 60
HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Portfolio
Vanguard Life Strategy 80% equity
Vanguard Life Strategy 60% equity

I'm 27, the purpose of this SIPP is to play a small part in bridging the 10 year gap between my desired retirement age of 55, and the drawing age of 65 of my CS Alpha pension.

I have seen a lot of talk of the VLS funds above. I overall want as good all round growth as possible, anything anyone can suggest is appreciated.

Please keep it constructive, I don't profess to be a master of any of this, I'm just trying to build on the 33.01% growth I've had in the last 12 months and future proof it with something a bit more sensible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Alex

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you want an active or indexing approach, answer that and you'll reduce your choices.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Thanks Bostonerimus.

I understand the difference (correct me if I'm wrong), index tracks the various indexes, active is actively managed to try and keep ahead/on the curve.

The problem is I don't know what is more beneficial to me/pros VS cons.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What about Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund?
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Looking longer term I would suggest have a look at Scottish Mortgage Trust on the basis it has done well for me over past few years and I expect outperformance to continue.

For more detail, here's a recent report from DIY Investor
    http://diyinvestoruk.blogspot.com/2018/05/scottish-mortgage-full-year-results.html
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The funds you have listed have various risk profiles as some are 60% equities and some around 100% equities. You need to decide how much risk/volatility to want or are able to cope with before deciding on the fund.
  • I'm open to either 60% or 80% rather than 100%. Thanks!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm open to either 60% or 80% rather than 100%. Thanks!

Ask yourself what is the maximum likey paper loss you can tollerate seeing during a crash? 25%, 40% or 50%+?

Alex
  • si2winit
    si2winit Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have about 60% of my fund in blackrock long term class 8 fund. Being seeing about 10% growth a year.

Also have 40% in blackrock excluding UK fund (moved this a few years back with the Scottish independence referendum on the horizon. It’s made about 13% growth each year and I have left it as is.
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Ask yourself what is the maximum likey paper loss you can tollerate seeing during a crash? 25%, 40% or 50%+?

Alex

I guess 40%? I'm looking for a fund to see me through the next decade (obviously I'll change when required).

40% is the sweet spot.

Thanks,
    Alex :beer:
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe look at things like Vanguard FTSE global all cap, or the hsbc and fidelity equivalents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure