PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Dull and wet here today, so a day in the house I think.
    Continuing the theme of "use it ups" and reducing my courgette "excess", I'm making the recipe below from a WRI booklet I've had for 25+ years. Although it serves four it keeps well in the fridge, reheats well if wished and also freezes well. I used to make it lots for work lunches. It's a great way to use up any spare veg or garden surplus. :)

Allotment Slice (serves 4)
    2-3 medium courgettes grated and squeezed to remove excess water (or diced cooked potatoes)
    ½ lb mixed veg chopped small (if using frozen defrost first and drain any liquid)
    Handful chives or a few spring onions finely chopped
    Sliced tomatoes to top
    4oz grated cheddar
    4-6oz cooked ham or bacon diced (optional)
    6 eggs
    ¼ pint milk
    Chopped parsley (optional)
    Salt & pepper

Mix all the veg bar the tomatoes, the ham, the parsley and half the cheese thoroughly.
    Whisk the eggs with the milk and salt & pepper, combine well with the veg mix.
    Grease and line a small roasting tin
    Pile mix in the tin and spread evenly. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese. Bake at 170C for 30 – 40 mins until the middle is just set. Allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before slicing. Delicious warm or cold.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

That sounds like a good arrangement for you PN:)

Allotment slice has been baked and I'm enjoying a slice for lunch warm with some salad and a cupasoup.:)
    The sun looks as though it might break through so hopefully the forecast for more rain today is wrong.
    Mince & tatties for dinner tonight.:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another scorchio day dahn sarf
    After standard porridge, honey, banana & yoghurt, off out for hopefully final cash injection into my car, repair tyre with nail in it's hoof. Job done, new tyre not required
    Because by then I was near town I mooched into Asda, at last full fat UHT milk for yoghurt making is back in stock, bought 3L just in case

Hope your handyman did a decent job PN and you now have someone "To hand" should the need arise

Lunch, last of the BF ham in salady sarnie

Then scoffed one of my figs, ripe & sun warmed, plenty more to follow in the next week or so by the looks of them
    I think my beans are about done, I may oik them out soon if CBA

Today is repeat of repeat meals, dinner will be last of the quiche, with salad, and CHIPS. Too hot for anything but salad really, but I'd eat meat pie & mash if it was plonked in front of me

I bring my frozen stuff home in an insulated bag, just gives it that extra few minutes, I do make sure the frozen purchase is the last one before heading home though

Talking of frozen, I was thinking about getting another freezer, so I could buy decent meat and other stuff on line. After my car troubles I am now driving around in my freezer cash stache:(. Oh well, best laid plans etc
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

That's good news about the tyre Farway, shame it means your 2nd freezer plans are delayed. I love having loads of freezer space and I'm sure they have paid for themselves many times over!
    Sun peeked through briefly then it poured, it's dryish now but how long for who knows.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    My veggies have been fed and a pot of mince is simmering. I've a portion mash in the freezer and runner beans in the fridge so an easy meal to put together in a bit.
    I forgot to post earlier that I had eaten the brambles I picked yesterday, my they were delicious- tart but sweet at the same time.:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    Earlier today I was the owner of a 4-pack of 'cornetto' ice creams, as I had to do a tip run after the handman left and 4ldi's next door ... somehow I am now only the owner of one :)

Today I've had:
    2 sausage rolls
    3 4ldi/cornetto ice creams
    2 slices of bread and marg (which would've been a cheese sandwich, but I've run out of cheese).
  • caronc
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:PN, 3 cornettos:eek::eek:, much as I love them one is enough ( well maybe two well-spaced if I had to :D:rotfl:.)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Talking of frozen, I was thinking about getting another freezer, so I could buy decent meat and other stuff on line. After my car troubles I am now driving around in my freezer cash stache:(. Oh well, best laid plans etc
    This could be the time to keep an eye out for a small/cheap deep freezer online/2nd hand.... £20-30 or so ... so you can test it out to see if you genuinely do benefit from owning a 2nd one and buying meat online. You might find it's a chore to then eat it all... be careful what you wish for and all that.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    PN, 3 cornettos much as I love them one is enough ( well maybe two well-spaced if I had to

In my defence at that, I thought the own brand ones were smaller, so I could "justify" my gluttony. But then I checked.

Original/proper: 90 ml each
    4ldi own brand: 110ml each

Oh well ... not had one for about 20-25 years, so it's not all bad :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Making up for it then PN:);)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business