New Driver - 2 Speeding tickets in a week!

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Supersonos wrote: »
    Then she would definitely know she was in a 30 zone if she lives in a 30 zone and had not passed any signs on her new route to work indicating she had now entered a 40.

The OP made clear she was "unfamiliar with her route to work". Even someone who doesn't drive is familiar with the road they live on.

Some people assume dual carriageways are 40 when they are 30. But given we don't know the route it is mere speculation.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Some people assume dual carriageways are 40 when they are 30. But given we don't know the route it is mere speculation.

But if you are not sure whether the limit is 30 or 40 (it's easy to miss the first sign) you should assume it is 30 until you see a repeater telling you it is 40.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Nick_C wrote: »
    But if you are not sure whether the limit is 30 or 40 (it's easy to miss the first sign) you should assume it is 30 until you see a repeater telling you it is 40.

Whatever happened and for whatever reason, the person in question wasn't paying attention (or, more likely, just didn't care and thought they'd get away with it) and got caught. And for that I'm grateful.

More people need to be caught, the fines should increase and the speed awareness course should be scrapped.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post

#64 I know.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    According to ROSPA "20mph limits, which consist of just a speed limit change but no physical measures to reduce vehicle speeds within the areas. Drivers are alerted to the speed limit with 20mph speed limit repeater signs."

Every 20mph road I have driven on has had regular repeaters.
    As ROSPA says, there are "20mph limits, which consist of just a speed limit change but no physical measures to reduce vehicle speeds". These require repeater signs.

But there are also 20 mph zones. These have distinctive entry and exit signs and no repeater signs, but must have traffic calming features (bumps, chicanes, etc.) at least every 100 metres.

The signs are the very first shown in the HC https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/traffic-signs, so no real excuse for anyone not knowing about them.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Do we know where these incidents happen? We may be able to help with a bit of local knowledge.

More likely you'll need to take your partner off your insurance and buy her a bus pass though.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As well as punishments for idiots who speed etc., there should be rewards for people who don't speed. I've just paid £450 VED. There should be a reduction because I've never had any endorsements.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As well as punishments for idiots who speed etc., there should be rewards for people who don't speed. I've just paid £450 VED. There should be a reduction because I've never had any endorsements.

So you've never been caught, if you want to pay less get a cleaner car.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite

Excellent idea. I've never murdered anyone or robbed a bank: that must be worth a lot more than your driving record.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    Excellent idea. I've never murdered anyone or robbed a bank: that must be worth a lot more than your driving record.
    Well if I`m not getting a reduction on my VED fancy doing a few bank jobs together?

After that we can start work on each others kill lists :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport