Qantas crew took our daughter's seat

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    If it was just for the 20 minute flight to Dubai we wouldn't have minded but we also had to sit on the runway for about 9 hours as well. There were also other empty seats on the plane, so confused why they had to take our daughters seat!

why didnt you move to an empty seat during that 9 hours , you would have been more comfortable
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    We didn't realise that there were other empty seats until we were in the air to Dubai, by then it was too late to suggest that maybe the crew member could have sat there! I really wish now that we had asked at the time why they needed our daughter's seat.
    Was there something special about the seat your daughter should have been sat in?
    e.g. was it extra legroom or extra space?

If it was a bog-standard seat, I still find it odd that non-working cabin crew (don't know what the correct term is) would insist on using that specific seat instead of one of the spare ones.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Was there something special about the seat your daughter should have been sat in?
    e.g. was it extra legroom or extra space?

If it was a bog-standard seat, I still find it odd that non-working cabin crew (don't know what the correct term is) would insist on using that specific seat instead of one of the spare ones.

Since the OP did not see any spare seats until it was too late, quite probably the cabin crew did not notice them either. Presumably they were very tired and grabbed the first possible space they saw.
  • vicker
    vicker Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Cabin crew possibly thought daughter was under 2 & not entitled to a seat. If OP had daughter on her lap when cabin crew got on, it would have looked free & figured family were fortunate to have a free seat next to them.

OP-why did you not tell cabin crew at the time it was a paid seat for your daughter? Especially after you'd been sat there with daughters on your lap for an hour or five?
  • Pollycat
    Since the OP did not see any spare seats until it was too late, quite probably the cabin crew did not notice them either. Presumably they were very tired and grabbed the first possible space they saw.
    Shouldn't working cabin crew be aware of spare seats (on the manifest or whatever)?

It would make sense (at least to me) for non-working cabin crew to consult working cabin crew before grabbing the first possible space they saw?

The OP doesn't say if she rang for cabin crew to point out that the seat that had just be appropriated by non-working Qantas crew had actually been paid for and wasn't a spare seat.
    That would have been the most sensible thing to do.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Shouldn't working cabin crew be aware of spare seats (on the manifest or whatever)?

It would make sense (at least to me) for non-working cabin crew to consult working cabin crew before grabbing the first possible space they saw?

The OP doesn't say if she rang for cabin crew to point out that the seat that had just be appropriated by non-working Qantas crew had actually been paid for and wasn't a spare seat.
    That would have been the most sensible thing to do.

Not necessarily no, they get the number of passengers and count them before closing the doors, but not which passengers are allocated to which seat. All they will know is that there are say 188 passengers and 198 seats on the plane.

I would also imagine, that if the plane were on the tarmac for 9 hours many passengers would be up and out of their seats walking around, not sat strapped in for all that time.

I do find it odd that OP didn't say anything, I certainly would if I was forced to hold a squirming child for all that time when I'd paid for a seat for her.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Hopefully this answers all the questions.

The lead cabin crew came round the plane holding a list of what we assumed were empty seats and was asking the other passengers if they could move their bags etc. so that the crew could be seated. They came across my family, my daughter was sitting in the middle seat, so maybe they did assume that it was an unpaid for seat. At the time, they asked if they could use the seat for the journey to Dubai and that it would only be a 20 minute trip. At this point in time we thought that it seemed reasonable as we just wanted to get to Dubai and make our connecting flight, so we agreed. The crew member sat down for about 20 minutes, then we found out that we would be stuck a little longer. He got up and went somewhere else but left his belongings on the seat (meaning that we couldn't use it). We didn't realise that there were other empty seats as people were moving around the plane and changing where they were sitting throughout the wait. When it finally came time to fly to Dubai, some 9 hours later, people sat down and that's when we saw that there were empty seats. In fact the crew member never came back for the actual flight, he just left his stuff on the chair. By this point it was too late to put our daughter in the seat as we would have had to strap the CARES harness on which takes time. As we were taxiing to take off, we still thought that the crew member would come and sit down!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hopefully this answers all the questions.

The lead cabin crew came round the plane holding a list of what we assumed were empty seats and was asking the other passengers if they could move their bags etc. so that the crew could be seated. They came across my family, my daughter was sitting in the middle seat, so maybe they did assume that it was an unpaid for seat. At the time, they asked if they could use the seat for the journey to Dubai and that it would only be a 20 minute trip. At this point in time we thought that it seemed reasonable as we just wanted to get to Dubai and make our connecting flight, so we agreed. The crew member sat down for about 20 minutes, then we found out that we would be stuck a little longer. He got up and went somewhere else but left his belongings on the seat (meaning that we couldn't use it). We didn't realise that there were other empty seats as people were moving around the plane and changing where they were sitting throughout the wait. When it finally came time to fly to Dubai, some 9 hours later, people sat down and that's when we saw that there were empty seats. In fact the crew member never came back for the actual flight, he just left his stuff on the chair. By this point it was too late to put our daughter in the seat as we would have had to strap the CARES harness on which takes time. As we were taxiing to take off, we still thought that the crew member would come and sit down!

So the crew member only actually used your daughters seat for 20 mins? Why didn't you just put his stuff in the seat pocket in front of you, or in the overhead locker, or take it to the galley?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    You sat there for 9 hours with his belongings on the seat and didnt say anything or move the stuff so you could use it.

You said other people were moving around changing seats for the 9 hours which suggests you could also have done the same
  • Pollycat
    Hopefully this answers all the questions.

This (in bold) was the time to say that it was a paid-for seat.
    So the crew member only actually used your daughters seat for 20 mins? Why didn't you just put his stuff in the seat pocket in front of you, or in the overhead locker, or take it to the galley?
    photome wrote: »
    You sat there for 9 hours with his belongings on the seat and didnt say anything or move the stuff so you could use it.

You said other people were moving around changing seats for the 9 hours which suggests you could also have done the same
    I have to agree with the 2 posts above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport