Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Options

Comments

• pakokelso93
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Lovely plain yogurt 45p in Home Bargains too,can't remember the price but I've just opened a tin of Asda basic tomatoes and they are top quality excellent colour thick juice big plump toms.

Tinned tomatoes are just that. I don't get why people would buy Napolina or what have you. 31p for tin of toms or value/cheapest passata. One or two (or one of each) in a pasta bake, curry etc is magic. Better than a few quid for luxury tinned toms which taste no diff to me.
    PK! :money:
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very true but plum toms in the tin are better than chopped they just use the second grade ones for chopped,in Home Bargains toms are 25p a tin just now stocked up yesterday.
  • Starchy
    Starchy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with this. I've tried Asda's smart price lines and they certainly are of much poorer quality than Lidl's products at the same price.
  • Starchy
    Starchy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    These basic lines were originally introduced to compete with the low prices available at Aldi, Lidl and Netto, and it worked for quite a long time, keeping most people out of those stores. The perception was that low prices in these stores meant poor quality, so it didn't matter that the value lines weren't very good.

Then it became clear to large numbers of people that Aldi and Lidl (not so much Netto, which has now vanished twice in the UK) did actually sell products which matched supermarket own-label, and even brands, in quality. It became very clear that their brands were far superior to the big supermarket value lines, at much the same prices.

Once that became clear, and large numbers defected to Aldi et al, the game was up for the value lines. Who in their right mind would pay the same price for a 'value' line in a big supermarket as the equivalent product in Aldi or Lidl, when the Aldi/Lidl product was so much better quality?

Tesco and the others can't afford to bring the quality of the value lines up to match Aldi and Lidl, so the only alternative is to quietly drop them - the game is up.
    I agree with this. I've tried Asda's smart price lines and they certainly are of much poorer quality than Lidl's products at the same price.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Starchy wrote: »

I had a different experience in Asda when I brought thier standard tin of garden peas for twice the price at the time. Found they were exactly the same peas in the tin as the smart price.:(
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • S_uk
    S_uk Posts: 337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just me or have Tesco everyday value fishcakes disappeared? I haven't seen them in my store for a few weeks and they're not listed online anymore. It's not listed on the Asda site either. Is it another value line that's been cut?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    S_uk wrote: »
    Is it just me or have Tesco everyday value fishcakes disappeared? I haven't seen them in my store for a few weeks and they're not listed online anymore. It's not listed on the Asda site either. Is it another value line that's been cut?

Tesco are 10 fishcakes for £1.40, I cant imagine even value ones being a lot cheaper than that? https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264335476
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't seem to find a dedicated Home Bargains thread so was in yesterday and found East End mango slices they are in syrup not juice but at 49p a tin a nice addition to curry sauce or with ice cream.
  • S_uk
    S_uk Posts: 337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Tesco are 10 fishcakes for £1.40, I cant imagine even value ones being a lot cheaper than that? https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264335476
    The value ones were nearly 30% cheaper per fishcake.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    S_uk wrote: »
    The value ones were nearly 30% cheaper per fishcake.

wow, i have never seen a fishcake around 10p each. i thought these at 14p each were a record.

Did they actually contain much fish?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure