NST - Achievable August

Options

Comments

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Evening everyone :hello:

2nd days progress is as follows:
    • Aim for 15 NSDS - 1/15
    • Update (budgets) - spends are at £32.90/£350. £1.11 added to the EF to date
    • Get prepared (for Xmas) - no progress
    • Utilise (free activities in your area) - no progress
    • Share (money saving tips) - take all you electronic devices to work so you can charge them at your employers expense thus saving you money on your own electricity bill :)
    • Treat (yourself) - no progress
    • Read as many books as possible - 1 book finished
    • Back cook for the little one - no progress
    • Make £50 additional income - no progress

Oh and I lost my patience with the little one even before we’d left the house this morning!
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A NSD. Went to mum's with shopping (she paid), have done 4 loads of washing, completed the jigsaw puzzle, cut out some bits for a card she wants to make, made tea and cut up her watermelon (oh and picked rhubarb from the garden for her to give to a neighbour). Really want another bath.

Christmas tip
    After many years of DS2 picking t-shirts for me to buy him (it's £30 but we can get 2 for £40) as opposed to him buying (Tk max or primarni), I hit on the present solution - you buy something for you from me and I will buy something for me from you (we each pay for our own present and adjust our budget to suit, but it also means I can buy myself a little something without feeling guilty).

The boys won't let me have chickens so I have to keep sending them to Africa.

Today I am grateful for a good sleep (did not even read), simple food and good company.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Day 2

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

Got my manicure stuff down and about to start that just after this post :D

Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. 2/15.

Update (Budgets)
    checked the DD's and there were a couple of extant ones so those have been cancelled.

No money for savings that I can see at present but I will see what I can do. Have decided to not use one of my CC so that is an indirect saving.

Get (prepared for Xmas) Found a couple of things that I had bought last year and not used so will add them to my stash for this years xmas.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Have spotted something that DS2 may like go go to on Saturday and planning to go Geocaching on Friday if DH is off and the weather is good.

Share (money saving tips)done week 1

Treat (yourself)still thinking

SO far so good on day 2
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Aim - 15 NSDs - so far I have 1 - nothing planned for me but....
    I have found the 2 smallest a 2hr football camp for the next 2 weeks. Mon-Fri £1 per day per kid.

Also' kids for a quid' swim sessions every day of the holidays at the pool at the end of my road. 1hr a day it is cheap rate.

Update budgets - All is good except the gym membership £24 a month I have not been for a few months but I need to go back. Sadly I can't put it on hold. Will re-evaluate as soon as kids go back to school

Get prepared for Xmas -renamed a bank account and will start to save into that. Found £6 T0sc0 vouchers and will save them, plus £13 Luv2sh0p vouchers and free stamps from the survey place.

Utilise free activities - free table tennis sessions in local park, free climbing wall in another park, caribbean carnival in town at weekend too. Parkrun, kids parkrun (2k), and 'Kids run free' sessions in local parks Let's Ride Leicester (free bike rides through closed off streets for adults and kids too, they must do them in other towns to promote cycling and give a bit of confidence)

Share money saving tips - I just did house insurance comparison for elderly relative, just saved her £120 on the renewal quote and may get an extra £70 cashback. She is computer illiterate and cannot do it herself. It took less than an hour of my time.
    Make your own scones!! It is lovely weather for it. Vow to never buy another scone. Home made or bust. Cost pennies.

Treat yourself - Twinings tea or Tassimo pods, which will it be! I still have lush bath bombs from June birthday in the airing cupboard - took one out yesterday, put half in the bath - it was a black one with a pink centre. Took 15 minutes to scrub the bath afterwards. Ho hum. I still have a lovely almond scented massage oil, and 2 nail varnishes left I am painting my toes with. Painted toenails are lovely. Little things eh?

I still have a shelf of books I haven't read, and am getting through them steadily.

Have to food shop tomorrow - DH was alone for 10 days and there is a very strange mix of things in the fridge that will feed a single man but not a family of 6.

Cupboards Inventorised, menu planned, shopping list written - whatever else happens there will be ice cream and lollies.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Was hoping for a NSD but OH needed milk so got that, a deodorant and some jelly pots - £6.20 spent. Went out for a run this morning before work. No progress on any other things today.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow Apple, that is hot! Glad you are having a lovely time.

I never iron, creases are just not something that bothers me!

SFD number 2 today :) and £50 earnt at temping :) Lovely dog walk this morning and free biscuits at temping :) Today I am very grateful for my furry family :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all:j

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

Picking beauty as I think I definitely have let this slide lately. Now have 2 days on my own before visitors arrive, sadly throat is tickly & feel a bit ropy, hit it with various medicaments so fingers crossed!!

Aim – for 15 NSD’s 1/15 still as spends today

Update (Budgets) – got rid of 1 DD of DHs - membership of a society - rang other to cancel & they persuaded him to stay on as a 'fellow' at half the cost.

Will be able to save for hols now DH is drawing down an income.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Have started on the knitted gifts, always run out of time and am knitting madly on Christmas Eve so this is important.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - After saying I was away so couldn't join in with this, I have been to the free knitting group today in the local library, free tea & biscuits provided. Also whilst there, they told us about a free lecture taking place on Friday - so another to go to already!

Share (money saving tips) – done this week

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I think this will be some twinings, but will decide later

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.

Go turtles!!!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the welcome back! I am really touched.
    Yesterday ended up being a spend day however, today IS going to be a NO spend day. I need to reexamine the budget and make sure it all adds up so I can afford to make my first proper debt payment. On the 21st. I also need to budget for therapy that I am starting in September.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all!

I am an iron-er! I iron pretty much everything (including tea towels - I have the cotton/ linen ones, not fluffy ones) except bath towels and underwear - that's a lot of ironing when it's a family of 6 :) However, it's a form of 'down time' in a way - I do it whilst watching US crime dramas on catch up tv and I find it soothing to take a basket of crumpled things and turn them into hanging/ piles of lovely flat things. When the children were babies I ironed muslins, bibs, vests and babygros too :)My sister doesn't iron and the sight of a jumble of vests and babygros in a drawer (my gorgeous nephew is 9 months) is just not for me. And when I change the bedding, getting into a bed wish clean bedding and ironed sheets/ duvet covers is just lovely! :D I've always done ironing - it was my chore to do the family ironing in school holidays when I was a teenager.

Aim - Anyway, aside from that, yesterday wasn't a NSD - I sent OH to the shop on his way home as we needed milk and rolls - and he also bought crisps. Today I need to get OJ and ketchup! :) We're not buying much this week, just bits n pieces, as we go away on Monday. The fridge has hardly anything in and the cupboard and freezer have lots of gaps, so we are thinking more creatively!

Update (Budgets) !!!8211;done. Small OP made today to BTL mtge - want to throw as much as poss at this anyway, but definitely so with rate rise!

Get (prepared for Xmas) !!!8211;Have written list of bdays between now and end of Jan and Xmas list. Will fill in with what Ive got and start to work on gaps. I still need to finalise my list and come up with more ideas of what I'd like from people (eg: my mum)

Utilise (free activities in your area) - - ok

Share (money saving tips) !!!8211;

Treat (yourself) !!!8211; I think I'll use my £3 towards getting my eyebrows done (waxed and tinted) - haven't had them done for over a year :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Greent - When I do iron I also have to have a detective programme on TV (usually a Poirot or a Marple). I had two friends who had ironing parties. They said the only way to get through ironing was with a bottle of wine! But some people do find it very satisfying. My mother would iron anything if It was put down for more than two seconds.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure