We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How are your tomatoes doing ?

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Another poster has just reminded me, the new RHS magazine has an article on cherry tomatoes. I've not read it yet (too hot to concentrate really) but when I do, I'll try to remember to post the recommendations

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We've been picking ours for some time now but there aren't as many as we normally get. I'm quite glad because I usually make tomato soup but don't think I could face it in this heat. Have to say I truly love that tomato soup recipe. lol
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Incidentally, I was disqualified when I entered Gardeners' Delight as a cherry tom in a local show, despite the packet saying that's what they are! :(
    It's not often I quote myself, but the RHS article referred to above, affirms the judges' view that Gardeners' Delight isn't a cherry tomato now, if it ever was.

Apparently, there are different strains going under the same name.

The RHS say GD is now too variable to keep its AGM, even as a 'normal' tom, so off the favoured list it goes....
  • unrecordings
    So we're both vindicated ? :D

• malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not often I quote myself, but the RHS article referred to above, affirms the judges' view that Gardeners' Delight isn't a cherry tomato now, if it ever was.

The RHS say GD is now too variable to keep its AGM, even as a 'normal' tom, so off the favoured list it goes....
    Gardener's Delight was one of the first tomatoes I grew on my own, with my dear old dad giving me the seeds. He always grew them in his greenhouse, whereas at the time I had a flat with a balcony, so I grew them outside and left the sideshoots on. His were always bigger tomatoes but I liked my smaller, cherry ones. I thought they were tastier. when Sungold were introduced in the early '90s, we both tried them (I had a garden & a greenhouse by that time) and thought they were much tastier. We stuck with Sungold ever since, trying others but always having a supply of our favourite. This year, for nostalgia's sake, I grew some GD and some Moneymaker (another old fave of his) for him. I've picked a few, but have to say in terms of taste, neither is a patch on Sungold, or the other newer varieties I've tried this year. Got the seed from Sarah Raven, where they were definitely described as a cherry tom, but I've one plant I'd describe as cherry, and 5 that are definitely on the larger side. I can understand the RHS comments.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Ahh, thanks Dave, and malebolge that explains a lot. My GD have ripened now, and I was tasting & comparing I was going to post to say how I couldn't see how they ever figured as tasty variety

MY GD are big cherry, not sure where from, I've only got the foil packet left as evidence. Seems the solution is to save your own seed if you have a good strain

My Sungold are OK for taste,but I much prefer my Balcony Yellow, which are self saved seeds, and it seems that by accident I've done myself a f(l)avour;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »
    My Sungold are OK for taste,but I much prefer my Balcony Yellow, which are self saved seeds, and it seems that by accident I've done myself a f(l)avour;)
    I've been looking for a good yellow tomato for ages - I'll try Balcony Yellow next year :) This year I tried SunLemon but I'm rather disappointed with it. Tastes ok, but not many fruits and rather spindly. The best ever yellow toms I tasted have been lost in the passage of time. Dad was working by a sewage plant (genuinely) nearly 40 years ago, and brought home tomatoes that were growing wild. He saved the seed and for years we had the most tasty yellow toms. Then one year he lost the seeds he'd collected and we never found our ideal yellow again. Sounds like an urban myth, tomatoes by a sewage plant, but it's 100% true :)
  • unrecordings
    edited 28 July 2018 at 12:03PM
    I hear they grow well by Railway lines too. Still not read that RHS article...

Reminds me I used to have an old WWII government pamphlet on growing tomatoes. Must see if I've still got it

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine were doing well until the wind arrived today! They're in large pots (Morrison's flower buckets) and no matter what I do they seem to blow over, so I'll just have to wait until the weather changes.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    On the subject of saved seeds by ancestors, has anyone tried Outdoor Girl lately?

My granddad always grew these, using own saved seed of course, but when I tried some a bit back they were just not the same

Maybe childhood memories playing up, or perhaps gone the same way as Gardeners's Delight?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure