Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    100MB
    Talk Unlimited
    £45/month

Initially I was told there was a £20 fee (reduced from £60). Second person I spoke to waived the entire fee.
  • So, finally got a good deal after putting in cancellation and signing up to BT (now cancelled). I was waiting for a call which never came, so I phoned retentions who could only offer it for £37 a month, he arranged a call back from the win back team and 10 minutes later had a call and received an offer.

Vivid 200 and phone with talk weekends

£23 a month.

Very happy with that, waiting on Sky to give me a deal on TV I'm happy with, currently at a 50% discount but I'm using the BT £12.50 a month for their max package as a bargaining tool
  • Just called retentions and was offered £31/month with a £50 credit and no new contract.

Currently on 70MB + weekend phone package.

Retentions seem a bit tight this year compared to previous years. Will probably call back once my free credit runs out since my contract ends at the end of the month anyway.

Has anyone had any better luck?
  • Well just tried my luck with Virgin to see what I could get.

I was offered what I currently have for £37 pcm plus £30 credit (I currently have 100MB plus weekend calls), however.. that's not what I got.

The guy in the call centre had actually cut my speed in half to 50MB (noticed this morning). So needless to say :mad:

Quick call again to the call centre, woman in the call centre said she would put me back to 100MB and got the price to £36.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be showing on my account, so if it doesn't appear, can I use the cooling off period to cancel?
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Well just tried my luck with Virgin to see what I could get.

I was offered what I currently have for £37 pcm plus £30 credit (I currently have 100MB plus weekend calls), however.. that's not what I got.

The guy in the call centre had actually cut my speed in half to 50MB (noticed this morning). So needless to say :mad:

Quick call again to the call centre, woman in the call centre said she would put me back to 100MB and got the price to £36.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be showing on my account, so if it doesn't appear, can I use the cooling off period to cancel?

Yeah you can definitely use the cooling off period to cancel. Think it's within 14 days. This is what happened to me last year as well. They literally changed my speed, price, contract length .. basically everything wasn't what I agreed.

Do you mind me asking whether this deal tied you into a new contract?
  • Yeah, back in for 12 months, which doesn't bother me to be fair!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • 100mb BB and weekend phone slowly crept up to £40 pm and was due to go up to £43 with the latest increase. Tried to haggle with cancellations but the best they offered was £37 and a reduction to 50mb BB. Said no and served cancellation notice. Got a call 2 days later asking if I would consider coming back for £35 with 100mb, said I wanted £30 as it would cost a new customer which they agreed to. Happy days.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah, back in for 12 months, which doesn't bother me to be fair!

It no longer bothers me either, as they will invariably announce a price rise which will give an opportunity to cancel :).
  • Got the letter raising the price so phoned to cancel. They called back a couple of days later and offered:-

New v6 box, new superhub 3

Tv mix, talk weekends and 100mb bb for £29pm for inc line rental 12 month contract.

I quoted the Vodafone broadband offers and freesat as a comparison.
  • We have been with virgin for maybe 13 years. Most of which on one of their mates rates deals. The latest price increase letter spurred me to check what was available and I realise we are now not on a good deal.at all.

Currently....
    XL TV
    Vivid 150 broadband
    Talk weekend phone
    TiVo box
    Extra v box upstairs
    £68 month (going up to £72)

Ideally we want to keep the same package but drop the cost and also upgrade the two TV boxes to the new V6 and possibly change the super hub 2 to the new one.

Called up tonight and after being messed around we were offered what we wanted at £57.50 a month, so already a decent saving. We said we wanted to cancel so have started the 30 days rolling.....can always fall back on the £57.50 if needed.

I have done a bit of reading and if people are telling the truth, I think what I want can be had for maybe £35 a month. Is that achievable?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback