We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How are your tomatoes doing ?

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I started picking my first ripe tumbling tomatoes in patio pots at the beginning of July. They tend to crop and ripen earlier than the upright cordon varieties. We,re in the south east.
    My first cordon tomatoes , a variety called Prima Bella which I,m growing for the first time this year are just starting to turn red. The Ferline,Mkneymker and Gardeners Delight are all still stubbornly green, despite three weeks intense sunshine onnthem all day against a south facing fence.

The worry now, is for a bad attack of blight to arrive, with rain today and hot temperatures forecast again next week. I,m planning to cover some of mine with a big net curtain if we get a blight warning , to try and avoid this. I have a really good crop this year and will be gutted if I lose them all.
  • Cliecost
    Cliecost Posts: 633 Forumite
    Mine were doing really well. The plant was outside, growing up some bamboo, fruit doing well, getting watered twice a day....and then the storm hit.

Poor guy didn't see it coming :cry: I came down in the morning to find him and his bamboo supporting him snapped clean in half :sad:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Take the snapped stem with the fruit on, put it in a bucket of water immediately and you may yet be able to save your crop. A few days ago I accidentally snapped off a truss of fruit while tidying up a tomato plant. I put the stalk of the truss in a jar of water and the tomatoes are now starting to ripen.

Waste not, want not ! The bottom end of the stalk still in the Plant may well develop a side shoot with a batch of flowers on it and it,s not too late for those flowers to develop into another small fruit truss. Don,t give up on your plant just yet! You have nurtured it thus far. Give it a chance!
  • Cliecost
    Primrose wrote: »
    Take the snapped stem with the fruit on, put it in a bucket of water immediately and you may yet be able to save your crop. A few days ago I accidentally snapped off a truss of fruit while tidying up a tomato plant. I put the stalk of the truss in a jar of water and the tomatoes are now starting to ripen.

Waste not, want not ! The bottom end of the stalk still in the Plant may well develop a side shoot with a batch of flowers on it and it,s not too late for those flowers to develop into another small fruit truss. Don,t give up on your plant just yet! You have nurtured it thus far. Give it a chance!

Too late for that. Threw it all away in a fit of despair.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Cliecost wrote: »
    Too late for that. Threw it all away in a fit of despair.

Salvage? Take a cutting?

A few years ago I took cuttings of toms in July or August, then grew them on to have tomatoes in our then ramshackle and leaky conservatory on Christmas Day.

As I recall, they carried on well into January, maybe almost February, before succumbing to the low temperatures/botrytis.
  • Cliecost
    Nah, I'm just going to learn from my mistakes (leaving them out in the wind) and grow a tomato bush in a raised planter next year :)
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Sungrape, sungold and supersweet 100 grown this year. Didn't do sungold last year as had lots of problems with splitting. No splits this year and so sweet and pleasurable to eat. Supersweet 100 ready too, nice little cherry tom, very tasty. Sadly I've only tried one of the sungrapes and that nearly ended up spat out. Will try another one soon but doubtful that I will grow that variety again.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • My greenhouse tomatoes have just started fruiting - my outdoor ones have just started flowering!
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My greenhouse tomatoes have just started fruiting - my outdoor ones have just started flowering!
    That's what usually happens to me, but this year my outdoor ones have fruited & ripened first. I put this down to a combination of types grown, the hot weather and the position of my greenhouse/outdoor plants. I've been eating my Red Alert (outdoor) for about 4 weeks now - it's usually a lot later. Ive got Sungold/SunCherry & SunLemon both inside & out, and both have just started ripening.

The outdoor ones seem to have more, and bigger, tomatoes on them - I think next year I need to reduce the number of plants in my greenhouse.
  • malebolge
    malebolge Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Salvage? Take a cutting?

A few years ago I took cuttings of toms in July or August, then grew them on to have tomatoes in our then ramshackle and leaky conservatory on Christmas Day.

As I recall, they carried on well into January, maybe almost February, before succumbing to the low temperatures/botrytis.
    Last year I had a nightmare with tomatoes - ended up, over half came from side shoots I rooted in water after dad came round and tried to be helpful. He put weedkiller on most of my plants. Thought he was helping, bless.

The cuttings fruited later, of course, but they produced more tomatoes than I expected. I've a glut this year, but you've reminded me and I'm going to take some cuttings to put in the conservatory for winter toms :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure