And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glad to hear you've had two great holidays - I completely agree, they are really important and if the MFW journey becomes miserable, it's unsustainable.

Sounds like you've had some great MSE successes - well done on upping pension contributions too.

Did you know about a Prime Reading? If you're the main member you can borrow up to ten free books/ mags at a time. Also might be worth looking at whether you're library offers digital book borrowing through Libby or Overlord. That might help with the no books.

PS my teen would flip with no wifi! Think I'd struggle at first too!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Having a,relaxed (read lazy :o) start to the day by bringing a coffee back to bed and reading . I've just got a copy of The Tightwad Gazette which though a bit dated and Americanised is proving a,good and useful read. Its also very MSE as it was described as 'like new' and wasn't so I sent a grumblemail and they refunded my £3.98:j

I tackled the section of garden around the patio yesterday and cut/tied things back and swept the patio so at least the bit you see out of the patio doors is tidy!

Food shopping was £45.66 which leaves around £40 for the rest of the month. As the freezer and stocks look healthy I'm going to try and just buy essentials so that I can put £20 towards a leisure centre membership for September.

I finally got my a*** into gear and batch cooked veggie chilli, soup and dahl for the freezer. These are firm favourites as the freeze well, are really healthy and super cheap. The chilli worked out at less than £4 for four family sized portions and three individual ones.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday so all the holiday laundry was dried and put away but there is still the ironing to do which I hate.

A,leisure membership is £39 a month for unlimited classes, gym and swim. I used my membership most days and a lot in the school holidays until my parents care hit a bit if a crisis. As we now have some help with that and Autumn is approaching I think I'll restart it. Two spin classes, one pilates, one yoga, a short run during the week and a,longer one at the weekend had me at a great level of physical and mental wellbeing and I'd love to get back to that. It does feel like a lot of money though so I'm going to think on it a bit longer .

Today's goals

Have a nsd
    Pay cheques into bank
    Collect parcel from the post office
    Bag up, label and freeze batch cooking
    Look after dad for a few hours this morning
    Filing :eek:
    Ponder leisure membership
    Still need to make Bircher muesli and organise freezer

Better get showered and on my way :)

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Glad to hear you've had two great holidays - I completely agree, they are really important and if the MFW journey becomes miserable, it's unsustainable.

Sounds like you've had some great MSE successes - well done on upping pension contributions too.

Did you know about a Prime Reading? If you're the main member you can borrow up to ten free books/ mags at a time. Also might be worth looking at whether you're library offers digital book borrowing through Libby or Overlord. That might help with the no books.

PS my teen would flip with no wifi! Think I'd struggle at first too!

Hi MW, I'm glad you've had a great holiday too:D
    I think you're absolutely right that if you feel deprived its easy to throw the towel in (at least if you're me:o).
    Thanks for the book tips. I do use Prime reading, Prime firsts and the Prime reader's lending library but I'll def check out the local library. Prime Reading's range of travel books is brilliant.
    I'm a bit of a charity shop book buyer and all those 50ps and £1 add up! I've got a huge backlog of books which I need to get through :o

Enjoy the rest of your hols. I sent you a pm re. DS's school issues but it was while suffering ropey internet connection. If you didn't get it let me know and I'll send it again.

PP x
  • pinkypig
    Today has been a good day :)

Cheques paid into bank
    Parcel collected
    Freezer cleaned, reorganised and inventory taken
    'Use up' soup and hummus made
    Car service booked and broken bulb replaced
    Bircher muesli made
    Healthy eating (but perhaps a little too much of it :o)
    Left overs used up for lunch
    Chilli for dinner
    Kitchen and bathroom floors swept
    Toilets cleaned and bleached

Work in progress :o

Achieving a NSD - bought garden wire and wax strips in Poundland (hardly last of the big spenders but I wasn't supposed to be spending anything!)

Goals for the weekend

Two short or one long run
    Eat well and in sensible quantities
    No more than two glasses of wine:eek:
    Stick to 8 hours sleep routine
    Drink at least 1 litre of water a day
    Read for at least an hour a day
    Post daily

PP x
  • museumworker
    Well done on batch cooking and oh my goodness you got great use out of your gym membership! I was paying more and had to stop it as only went to a couple of classes a month on a bad month :eek:! Do they offer a student discount? If so you could look at taking a course with an NUS recognised college? There are courses available for £19+ cashback then £12 for the NUS card. Plus you can use on other things too so should pay for itself quickly. I need to give some thought to my exercise regime in thr autumn/winter as much needed for my mental health too!

I also used to love a charity shop book but since Kon Mari -ing my books (250 gone this year, 300 the year before!) I only buy something I plan to read immediately! I only have about a dozen still to read fiction books left on my shelves byt thats a good reminder to plough through them this autumn as will free up a bit more space. Maybe we could do a reading challenge?

Just checked and didn't get the DM, if you could resend that would be great.

MW x
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • pinkypig
    Hi MW, have resent it.

Thanks for the student discount tip - I'll look into that .

Getting into an exercise routine with a busy life is difficult but I find that its when I'm really busy and tired that I benefit the most from doing something which I know sounds bonkers but its true. Getting out of the door is the hardest part! That said I like to get my moneys worth so that was a motivator:rotfl:

PP x
  • Don't know if you guys have seen Hell or High Water, but there's a brilliant scene in it where one Indian policeman says to another, 150 years ago that their ancestors were fighting off the white man to keep their property and land. Now there's another fight for the very same land and property, only this time it's them who we're all fighting.

He is pointing to a bank when he says that.
  • pinkypig
    Hi Indiana, thanks for stopping by. I haven't seen it but it sounds about right!

Another good day

Heathy food

Long walk

Lots of reading

Lots of relaxing and a little power nap!

Off for 8 hours sleep

PP x
  • pinkypig
    I managed nearly 8.5 hours sleep which is unheard of and I feel so much better.
    I've had a lovely relaxed morning starting with coffee and a good book in bed :). I got out for a run which felt quite hard work but as always I feel so much better for getting out and getting it done. It really does set me up for the day which I must remind myself of when I'm generating endless excuses not to go:rotfl:
    Off for a walk later then a late dinner with the kids.
    Other goals include;
    Clean the fridge
    Vacuum downstairs
    Holiday ironing

Happy Sunday!:)

PP x
  • museumworker
    Sounds like a blissful start to a Sunday! Well done on getting our for a run too. Not sure I would have the willpower if I had the chance to laze around with a book instead!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure