Cleats. Are they worth the stress?

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    I can do without the insults brat , where are my tantrums and petulence ? you are losing your argument resorting to insults .. Maybe you being a Police Officer has given you an attitude that you do not like to be questioned in what you say . I hope you don t go around with that attitude on the streets of the UK on a Saturday night , the drunks won t like it
    I was baiting to see if your barbs were directed at me. And it seems they were. Can I ask why?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tell him you haven't got a TV licence (ibid this forum) as well as using cleats and watch his head implode. :-)
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are cleats beneficial for Spinning classes?
  • Nasqueron wrote: »
    you can get the pedal for £20 and shoes from £27.99

Assuming that the £27.99 shoes fit. When I considered giving clipless a try, I gave up, having never found a pair of shoes that fit. Most of the shoes I saw were about twice the price of the Stead & Simpson's Hobos I used to use, and I had spent nearly the price of those on postage returning unsuitable shoes.

Therein lies the point, the market for cycle shoes is absolutely tiny compared with that for ordinary shoes, and the prospect of finding a pair that fit correspondingly smaller too. I don't have anything against trying clipless*, I just CBA with finding a pair.

(*Except that my toeclips enable me to use any shoes I like.)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Assuming that the £27.99 shoes fit. When I considered giving clipless a try, I gave up, having never found a pair of shoes that fit. Most of the shoes I saw were about twice the price of the Stead & Simpson's Hobos I used to use, and I had spent nearly the price of those on postage returning unsuitable shoes.

Therein lies the point, the market for cycle shoes is absolutely tiny compared with that for ordinary shoes, and the prospect of finding a pair that fit correspondingly smaller too. I don't have anything against trying clipless*, I just CBA with finding a pair.

(*Except that my toeclips enable me to use any shoes I like.)

As I posted way back I bought a pair of wide fit clipless for £56, I have trouble getting shoes to fit as my feet are wide so often have to go 1-2 sizes up even for trainers, yet these fit great. A good pair of proper MTB shoes from someone like Five Ten or Specialized or even Adidas are upwards of £100. Of course you could wear £10 cheapo shoes but they aren't designed for this purpose.

Your second point is total nonsense, Evans stock 129 different spd/spd-sl bike shoes, 77 of which are under £100 and 13 under £50 from 15 brands for Men alone. Wiggle stock over 300 shoes, 142 in the "road" category, 49 pairs are under £100 from 13 different brands (some overlap with Evans) and that's 2 stores. Lake, Tredz, CRC (while it's still operating at arms length from wiggle), Cycle Store, Ribble, Sports Direct etc etc all stock them
  • Nasqueron
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Are cleats beneficial for Spinning classes?

If you get the right pair they can be though I'd be inclined to not want my foot fixing in without knowing the bike was completely set up correctly for me. I've only ever done it with the toe clip in, you spin so fast that even the magic shoes owned by people on here which never lose contact with the pedal are liable to fall off
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Your second point is total nonsense, Evans stock 129 different spd/spd-sl bike shoes, 77 of which are under £100 and 13 under £50 from 15 brands for Men alone. Wiggle stock over 300 shoes, 142 in the "road" category, 49 pairs are under £100 from 13 different brands (some overlap with Evans) and that's 2 stores. Lake, Tredz, CRC (while it's still operating at arms length from wiggle), Cycle Store, Ribble, Sports Direct etc etc all stock them

Personally, I'd never buy shoes without trying them on first. And there aren't any shops with a decent selection of bike shoes anywhere nearby.

Of the 20-ish pairs on display, most are for road cycling, most of the rest are over £150, and of the one or two remaining pairs, they either don't fit or don't have my size in stock. :(

I gave up looking and got some Wellgo B143 flat pedals. They suit me perfectly. They have a large flat (rather than concave) contact area, and the pins give decent grip on all types of shoe without shredding them (or my shins when I bash them).

Also, you can fit reflectors to them, making them road-legal (not that I'd care if I was going clipless, of course!)

Now, if I had a second bike, or was riding just for pleasure, I'd definitely look at clipless.

Horses for courses. :)
  • Latest footage from House Martin and brats debate.

• Nasqueron
    esuhl wrote: »
    Personally, I'd never buy shoes without trying them on first. And there aren't any shops with a decent selection of bike shoes anywhere nearby.

Of the 20-ish pairs on display, most are for road cycling, most of the rest are over £150, and of the one or two remaining pairs, they either don't fit or don't have my size in stock. :(

I gave up looking and got some Wellgo B143 flat pedals. They suit me perfectly. They have a large flat (rather than concave) contact area, and the pins give decent grip on all types of shoe without shredding them (or my shins when I bash them).

Also, you can fit reflectors to them, making them road-legal (not that I'd care if I was going clipless, of course!)

Now, if I had a second bike, or was riding just for pleasure, I'd definitely look at clipless.

Horses for courses. :)

All the big retailers online that I have used offer free returns if things don't fit, it's easy enough therefore to order a few pairs and try them. I find it helps to read customer reviews on the site particularly to see common issues. I have also ordered in shoes to Evans to try on, kept the pair that fitted, refund on the rest
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    All the big retailers online that I have used offer free returns if things don't fit, it's easy enough therefore to order a few pairs and try them.

That's way too much hassle. I'd be spending half my life going back and forth to the Post Office, and miss hours of work each time.

Just returning a single item is enough hassle. Having to return a dozen or so pairs of shoes in a short space of time would be a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure