DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• NewbieNat
    NewbieNat Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I haven't posted for a while but have been following posts, and learning a lot along the way :) My DMP with SC has just started with the first token payment. I have 4 defaut notices already! Barclaycard have told me the date when they wll default, not might default, so I'm hoping they will. I'm not getting any phone calls at all - I expected a really turbulent period to be honest. I know it won't be all plain sailing but it's been a really good start.

To anyone just starting the process, once the new bank account is set up & creditors informed,it does really lift that awful sinking feeling/not sleeping/stressing/feeling hopeless. It's my DMP and I feel in control of it, that's a real turn around from my first posts:D
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    For those who may have read my previous post about being contact by PRA - this is just a quick update. Seems the chappie I spoke with over the weekend didn't really take much notice of my comments about the account/s being UE. Well, low and behold I receive another phone call today, slightly different number so the block call I put on didn't kick in.

Anyway, this time I thought I'd be a little more 'to the point', though again I refused to confirm my personal details. The young lady was a little flummoxed, but to her credit she heard me out. I explained that I knew the accounts were UE and whilst I realise it didn't mean the debt/s had been written off , I intended to prioritise my enforceable ones, I continued on saying that at some point in the future, when all other debts were cleared, I would consider contacting them to offer some form of settlement.

So, she kindly offered to put my account on hold for 30 days :rotfl: to which I replied that whilst I appreciated the offer, it would be a good deal longer than 30 days before I would likely be in touch. I then asked for all telephone numbers to be removed from their database and bless her - she said she would make a note for no contact for the next month or so, but I said 'no' - I'm not asking for you to put my phone number/s on hold - I'm asking for them to be removed permanently and pointed out that I knew my rights in that respect. She then confirmed that from now on all communications would be carried out in writing.

So, to anyone in a similar situation to me - do stick to your guns and don't let them control the conversation or threaten.. blah.. blah. To be fair the lady was perfectly amicable and actually apologised for calling. So PRA are going back to the end of the queue - again!

I have to admit I probably will, maybe sometime next year, consider offering very low F&Fs - just to wipe the slate clean. But then again, I might not :D The way I view it (rightly or wrongly) is that I would have paid PRA for around 2 years under the DMP and I'm pretty sure they would have made quite a few £s on the price they paid for the accounts already.

Awesome - well done to you :)

PRA caved in eventually and offered to settle our UE at 10% of the balance. I just ignored every letter for over a year until the 10% offer landed. It suited me to settle and close it on our credit file, but we could just as easily have ignored it altogether.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    PRA caved in eventually and offered to settle our UE at 10% of the balance. I just ignored every letter for over a year until the 10% offer landed. It suited me to settle and close it on our credit file, but we could just as easily have ignored it altogether.

Thanks Jan15, that's really useful to know. Come July this year it'll have been 1 year since our last payment and I rather suspect as a result of the most recent interactions with them, I won't hear from them again in a good wee while, but we shall see.

I'm similar to you in so much as whilst I could merrily go along ignoring them until the statute barred chime tolls, I will probably go for an F&F simply to draw a line. The 3 UE accounts with them amount to more than 2/3rds of our remaining balance and so it would be good to be able to officially claim myself 'debt-free' at some point.
  • roo-dee
    roo-dee Posts: 66 Forumite
    Hi All, I have cancelled my dd's I am now trying to sort my CPA, i apologise if this is a stupid question, i have a template letter to cancel my CPA, but when i try and get a contact for whom I should send this to with Santander they just keep telling me to phone them and cancel that way. Am I not better doing this in writing as I have proof then that i have done it? Should I just send a letter to my local branch?
    January 2019 Grocery challenge £93.41 /£240
    2019 savings £48.69/£3000
    Loose 42lbs in 2019 2.5/42
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    roo-dee wrote: »
    Hi All, I have cancelled my dd's I am now trying to sort my CPA, i apologise if this is a stupid question, i have a template letter to cancel my CPA, but when i try and get a contact for whom I should send this to with Santander they just keep telling me to phone them and cancel that way. Am I not better doing this in writing as I have proof then that i have done it? Should I just send a letter to my local branch?

No, do this over the phone, and do it quick.

Time will be ticking on this one.

Another tip, report your debt card as lost/stolen, you will receive another one in the post with a different number that your creditors will not know, so will not be able to take payment.

This works 100% despite the CPA.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • roo-dee
    roo-dee Posts: 66 Forumite
    Thank you so much Sourcrates, I will do that :)
    January 2019 Grocery challenge £93.41 /£240
    2019 savings £48.69/£3000
    Loose 42lbs in 2019 2.5/42
  • Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite

PRA really are a complete enigma!

They could not produce anything when I made a CCA request at the start of 2016. I did speak to them at that time and stopped paying the small monthly payment I was making to them but I seem to have had the same sort of experience as everybody else.........the people you speak to seem to have been 'brainwashed' so they just don't understand the word 'unenforcable.' Is this poor training or are they just 'acting?'

The letters offering partial settlement are not reducing as fast as Jan's. After more than two years of nil payments:-

February2018: 85%
    April 2018: 80%

I will settle for a small figure of say 10% if it ever gets that low. My thinking is.....if they don't understand 'unenforcable' will they in four years understand 'statute barred?' If they don't I will have unfinished business and letters and statements coming through the door for the rest of my life! :(

I DO want to draw a line under this. I am sorry PRA for treating you so badly but 'morally' I owe you nothing. I owed the bank not you. I didn't choose to be dealing with you and you shouldn't have been so inept and stupid as to buy a debt which isn't enforcable! You complete PRATS:rotfl:!!!!

None the less........I do want rid of you when the time is right.
  • Suseka97
    Brogden wrote: »
    PRA really are a complete enigma! ............I will settle for a small figure of say 10% if it ever gets that low. My thinking is.....if they don't understand 'unenforcable' will they in four years understand 'statute barred?' If they don't I will have unfinished business and letters and statements coming through the door for the rest of my life! :(.....

Looking at the discounts offered they've increased it by 5% over two months which is a start :) The way I look at it is that if you reach that magic '6 years, statute barred' moment, then it really won't matter if they do continue to send letters. Me, I'd just treat them like the rest of the junk mail we receive, unsolicited, these days and bin them. There is a template letter available (probably over on the NEDCAB site) that you could use at that point to remind them of the legislation and leave it at that. But hopefully you'll get a decent settlement offer way before it reaches that point. At the end of the day, they are better getting 10% of what's owed rather than nothing.
  • Suseka97
    Just a quick update re PRA and UE situation (not wanting to take the focus of what this thread is about, DMPs). I've just received a statement from them regarding my account, the one they've been calling about lately, and low and behold they've sent me an statement and have offered a 10% discount to clear the account. So I guess I'm now on their 'discount countdown'... watch this space... but get a good book because methinks it might take a while :D
  • ayupmeduck
    ayupmeduck Posts: 187 Forumite
    2 new letters from Natwest today. One is the about my OD asking for payment arrangements/income & expenditure. The other is about my loan and the fact that if I don't pay the arrears within 28 days, a default with be recorded against me and my account will be transferred to their debt recovery area.

So how long will it take for my account to be finally sent to a DCA? Also I was under the impression that they had agreed to my DMP maybe this is just paper work they have to complete etc. Should I continue to pay them their £1 and increase my payment in July as planned?
    Debt £7976 | Savings £350Aims: Buy first home 2026-8. £20k deposit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport