Thinking Thailand - Where should I start.

Hello Everyone

Thinking of going Thailand as late honeymoon in Feb/March.

I think we would like to do a a few days in Bangkok (or any vibesy city) then a few days by the beach.

Where/what should I start 1st in terms of research.

Probably have a budget of £1200 per person. We are not really the backpacking type - nice hotel is more our style. Probably staying for around 7-10 days.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• You won't regret it! Thailand is my absolute favourite place. We did part of our honeymoon there too.
    There are many on here a lot more knowledgable than me (who have helped me plan in the past).
    Personally I LOVE Bangkok so I always start and end there, but I know that isn't for everyone. As you're only there 7-10 days and it sounds like you want more of a beach holiday go South after BKK either over to Phuket & Krabi area or over to Ko Samui, Koh Phangan & Koh Tao. I've been to both sides. Personally Koh Phangan was my favourite of everywhere we went, but will depend on what you're interested in. I think I preferred this because of where we stayed, quite remote lovely area - whereas in some other places we stayed in more touristy areas which I wouldn't do again.

You can book internal flights really cheaply, which is probably best given you're short on time. However we've also caught sleeper trains which are fun.
    You can stay in some really nice hotels for a reasonable amount of money compared to UK, but your best bet is probably working out a rough itinerary first, then booking your flights.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Flight?

The airline(direct) with the cheapest cancellation charge is EVA. £75 with it's cheapest ticket. THAI charges £225 and BA is likely non refundable.

Of course not an issue if you are sure you won't need to change dates or to cancel, but worth bearing in mind.
    Also keep in mind that to obtain the aforementioned fare conditions, you'll need to book direct with the airline, not via a travel agent.
    So bank on around £500 for EVA and £540 with THAI for your dates, at the moment. BA somewhere in the middle, but non refundable.
  • We have been a few times, but have not travelled to the beaches mentioned. We have only done the beaches which can be reached by road from Bangkok - Hua Hin and Pattaya. Hua Hin is quite nice, Pattaya less so. Our hotel in Pattaya was fantastic though, one of my favourites I've ever stayed in (Dusit Thani). It's probably better to consider the other beaches if you have time to fly.

As for Bangkok, there is a range of different accommodation and areas to consider. We have stayed centrally, and also at the river, and have enjoyed both. The hotel we stayed at centrally was a gem, it was actually really quiet, yet it was near Nana and Asok metro stations. Four Points by Sheraton if you're looking for options. Other hotels we have stayed at are Chatrium Riverside and Anantara Riverside (both very nice too).
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It all depends on your ages and what you want from a honeymoon - 5* luxury and relaxation or adventure and partying. Thailand has something for all tastes and budgets.

I would say that 10 days is an absolute minimum for a trip to Thailand and 14 is better. If you just go for a week then you lose a day each way travelling which doesn't leave enough time for a few days in Bangkok plus a beach visit. The last thing you want on a honeymoon is to be rushing around and not get the time to relax.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with Doshwaster.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    I imagine that the budget might be a restricting factor. If the £1200 per person includes flights, that leaves £1400 for accommodation food, entertainment and internal travel.

Spreading that over fourteen days is certainly possible if they keep to a suitable budget.
    In addition, they can probably save another £200 between them by taking indirect non refundable flight.
  • Doshwaster wrote: »
    It all depends on your ages and what you want from a honeymoon - 5* luxury and relaxation or adventure and partying. Thailand has something for all tastes and budgets.

I would say that 10 days is an absolute minimum for a trip to Thailand and 14 is better. If you just go for a week then you lose a day each way travelling which doesn't leave enough time for a few days in Bangkok plus a beach visit. The last thing you want on a honeymoon is to be rushing around and not get the time to relax.

We are young mid 40's and want a bit of relaxation and culture - I do love a party but my husband doesn't so cant see much of that going on - open to some nice little bars though.

we cant do 14 day unfortunately - will go for 10-11 days.
  • WAYT wrote: »
    I imagine that the budget might be a restricting factor. If the £1200 per person includes flights, that leaves £1400 for accommodation food, entertainment and internal travel.

Spreading that over fourteen days is certainly possible if they keep to a suitable budget.
    In addition, they can probably save another £200 between them by taking indirect non refundable flight.

Thank you. The £1200 is probably for flight & accomadation only. Then say a separate £500 for spends. I have seen flight and hotels deals for less than £1000 but then this is to stay in just the one place when I really want to try 2 places. Think did look at multi centre trips but as most of you guys are saying these are based mostly on 14 nights & longer.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We are young mid 40's and want a bit of relaxation and culture - I do love a party but my husband doesn't so cant see much of that going on - open to some nice little bars though.

we cant do 14 day unfortunately - will go for 10-11 days.
    Thank you. The £1200 is probably for flight & accomadation only. Then say a separate £500 for spends. I have seen flight and hotels deals for less than £1000 but then this is to stay in just the one place when I really want to try 2 places. Think did look at multi centre trips but as most of you guys are saying these are based mostly on 14 nights & longer.

Forget the multi-city package trips as these will limit your choices of destination, schedule and hotels as well as cost more. Thailand is very easy to travel around independently. I would just book your return flights to Bangkok and then sort out the rest yourself. Lots of cheap flights available from Bangkok with the likes of Air Asia (though just be warned that they use Don Muang rather than the main Suvarnabhumi airport) or the full service Bangkok Airways which uses the main airport.

For 11-12 days you could possibly do
    2 days/3 night Bangkok
    6-7 nights somewhere like Krabi (I love Ao Nang)
    1 night back in Bangkok before the flight home.

Don't try to book a same day internal flight before your return home especially if you need to change airports in Bangkok.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Some great points already made.

Since you can't do 14 days, it's important to pick flights that can maximise your time in Thailand, pick the overnight flights each way if you can.

Btw Eva sometimes have great deals through agents such as Trailfinders.

Where in the UK are you?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure