M25 speeding

Comments

• The minimum enforceable speed limit is 30 mph.
    Anything below this is recommendatory.

It's actually 20 mph.
  • I think the general rule is, as long as you are going under 70, you probably won't get a ticket on the M25 whilst the variable speed limit is in place. I go no faster that 10mph over the variable speed limit but see people speeding past me and not slowing down at either the gantry or the new cameras.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the general rule is, as long as you are going under 70, you probably won't get a ticket on the M25 whilst the variable speed limit is in place. I go no faster that 10mph over the variable speed limit but see people speeding past me and not slowing down at either the gantry or the new cameras.

No, that's not great advice. You should stick to whatever the signs are saying (you can always use the buffer provided by the guidlines too) and stick to NSL when they aren't illuminated. If you pass a gantry showing 50 at 70, you will get a ticket if a camera is installed and functional.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,188 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think the general rule is, as long as you are going under 70, you probably won't get a ticket on the M25 whilst the variable speed limit is in place. I go no faster that 10mph over the variable speed limit but see people speeding past me and not slowing down at either the gantry or the new cameras.

You only have to read the posts on http://forums.pepipoo.com/ to see that you are incorrect , many people have been caught at lower limits when the managed motorway speed restrictions are in place.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's actually 20 mph.

Can you provide a source for that "fact"?
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    No, that's not great advice. You should stick to whatever the signs are saying (you can always use the buffer provided by the guidlines too) and stick to NSL when they aren't illuminated. If you pass a gantry showing 50 at 70, you will get a ticket if a camera is installed and functional.

More a statement from my personal observation than advice.
  • C8957 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was travelling south on the m25 last night (I think around junction 10?) and the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph even though the motorway was fairly quiet (I didn't see it change to this , I just got to part of the motorway that had this limit displayed) . I started to slow down , but literally nobody else slowed down so it would have been very dangerous to drive at 20. I think I slowed down to about 40, but even then people were over taking me . Not one person drove at 20.

Has anyone else had an experience like this ? I am very worried as I'll probably get a ticket , and I haven't been driving long so I could also lose my license :(

I was on the M25 last year in a similar situation. It was very late and the signs started flashing "incident, slow down" and the limit reduced to something like 30mph. This went on for mile after mile with no obvious incident.

The traffic started to speed up to the point that I was doing 30mph and I had lorries roaring past me and kept getting honked. It was pretty scary.

Suddenly, the NSL sign appeared. No incident was ever seen. This happens quite often.

I actually contacted the Highways Agency after this particular event to try and point out that the reduced limit came far too early which causes drivers to end up ignoring the warning and, either way, there was no incident. They sent back an email that may as well have read "We couldn't care less."
  • I think the general rule is, as long as you are going under 70, you probably won't get a ticket on the M25 whilst the variable speed limit is in place.

And if you wear a balaclava when you mug someone, you probably won't get caught, so it's ok to do it.

I think, actually, the general rule is that, when it says 50mph, you should do no more than 50mph. It's often for the safety of roadworkers, but don't let that fact get in the way of you getting home a couple of minutes earlier.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    deaston wrote: »
    I was on the M25 last year in a similar situation. It was very late and the signs started flashing "incident, slow down" and the limit reduced to something like 30mph. This went on for mile after mile with no obvious incident.

The traffic started to speed up to the point that I was doing 30mph and I had lorries roaring past me and kept getting honked. It was pretty scary.

Suddenly, the NSL sign appeared. No incident was ever seen. This happens quite often.

I actually contacted the Highways Agency after this particular event to try and point out that the reduced limit came far too early which causes drivers to end up ignoring the warning and, either way, there was no incident. They sent back an email that may as well have read "We couldn't care less."

Yeh this is par for the course on the M4 usually theres nothing at all after miles of speed limit signs and even accident warnings etc, but even if there is its after about ten miles of these by which time everyone has sped up thinking its another false alarm.
  • C8957
    C8957 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks everyone . I haven’t heard anything yet and it’s been way over a month so I should be ok
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure