PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Relatives paying my mortgage and staying in my house.

Options
Hi. My wife and i have a mortgage on our house which we have 9 years left(repayment). Basically my father died two years ago and we're moving into my parents house(paid off) to care for my elderly mum who is 87. We've had a granny annex built on the back of her house and we will move into the main house. We will split the bills etc. Our intention is for my wife's parents to move into our house and just cover the mortgage and bills. I appreciate my wife's parents will have to pay tax on the mortgage payments as we are making a gain from them paying off our mortgage and I expect we will have to change our mortgage from a repayment etc. Are there any other things we need to look into please. I work full time and my wife works part time but she will be reducing her hours to care for my mum who has poor eye sight, frail and hard of hearing. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think its great you are helping your parents, a lot of folks wouldn't ! So aside from the fact you are dealing with your parents, what you are essentially doing is renting out your house? So tell your mortgage company to ensure you have permission and remember to get the correct insurance and alter the electoral register. I'd also get some sort of document drawn up to state who is responsible for repairs, are alterations allowed, what notice is required etc. Basically a tenancy agreement! Seems harsh seeing as its your folks but things change and you need to avoid disagreement further down the line.
    In relation to your wife it may be worth looking into carers allowance and attendance allowance for your mum. Depends what your wife earns and how many hours she will be a carer for.
    Good luck with everything.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Your in laws will not have a tax liability, you will.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beav1s wrote: »
    Our intention is for my wife's parents to move into our house and just cover the mortgage and bills.

I appreciate my wife's parents will have to pay tax on the mortgage payments as we are making a gain from them paying off our mortgage and I expect we will have to change our mortgage from a repayment etc.

Why?

You are going to be landlords, renting your house out to your parents in law. Why would they be paying tax on the rent they pay to you?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Probable mortgage fraud:

Could be repossessed (unlikely, sadly).

Suggest you read your mortgage terms & conditions then write to (yes, WRITE - keep copy) to your lender.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are not paying the mortgage.
    They are paying you rent.
    You are paying the mortgage
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They will be your tenants, so read:

* New landlords: advice, information & links

from this thread here:

Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories