Cavity wall claims

Options
Last winter, due to the excess rain I had some quite major issues with penetrating rain getting across the cavity on to the internal wall.

This made the paint bubble in a few places but one patch was so bad, that the plaster has fallen off.

I haven't done any remedial work yet because I basically cannot afford to.

My house was built in 1996 by Russel Armer, I purchased it in 2013 without the knowledge that there has been any previous damp issues, but looking at the estate agent photos now, I can see a slightly dark area on the wall where the problems have occurred.

Today I received a leaflet through the door from mycavityclaim.com, obviously this was of interest to me because the builders that I got quotes from said that the wall with the problems, shouldn't have had cavity wall insulation put it because its a weather facing wall. I had no idea there was anything in place to be able to claim for incorrectly fit cavity insulation.

Has anyone had any dealings with the above company or could you recommend an alternative that you have?
4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    do you have a guarantee for the work?
    Who did the cavity wall insulation?
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It was done when the house was built.
  • System
    Options
    ahh, so it won't be applicable for any of these claims or guarantees as they are set up for defective cavity wall insulation installed as part of the government backed schemes

Are you sure that you have full fill cavity wall insulation? do you know what material is in the cavity?
  • Spies
    Options
    Directly from the horses mouth...

"internal and external block skin with full filled blown fibre cavity wall insulation."
  • System
    Options
    well, you can get it removed but it's an expensive thing to do - it cost me ~1k to get one wall done.
    I don't think you would have any luck claiming it was installed incorrectly (which is what the claims are based on) as it was a new build specifically designed for that insulation type. I would give it a go with one of these companies and see if they think you are eligible
  • Spies
    edited 1 November 2016 at 4:05PM
    Options
    CWI guarantee should still apply in my mind, just because the property was designed for it, doesn't mean they did a good job (which clearly isn't the case if rain is penetrating the cavity).

I will try to establish if a guarantee exists for my property first.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    well, you can get it removed but it's an expensive thing to do - it cost me ~1k to get one wall done.

We bought a house with CWI but it hasn't caused any problems (we negotiated 1k off the price in case it ever did, it's 15 years old since it was installed) and does make the house really warm. But I wouldn't have it installed to a house without it because I feel it is a gamble and it shouldn't be. And to the point! Sorry t ramble - why did you have it removed from just one wall? We were quoted 3k for removal from a reasoble sized detached.
  • System
    Options
    Chanes wrote: »
    And to the point! Sorry t ramble - why did you have it removed from just one wall? We were quoted 3k for removal from a reasoble sized detached.

We had one wall which gets all the weather and got all the damp, there no evidence of damp in the other walls so didn't see the value in having it removed where it wasn't problematic given the expense involved
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Dealt with quite a few properties with CWI and found if you get a problem with it remove on affected wall / area, Cavity walls aren’t really suited to uk climate they work better in dry arid countries why on earth anyone thought it was a good idea to add to it something thing that’s at best is often problematic was beyond me ? Better cheaper less risk solutions out there…. You can try and see if you can get works done “free “ but personally I’d make sure if they did that they don’t then replace it ?
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    We had one wall which gets all the weather and got all the damp, there no evidence of damp in the other walls so didn't see the value in having it removed where it wasn't problematic given the expense involved
    I see. Couldn't you let it dry out after removal and have it insulated to the exterior as they do with solid walls? That is if you want to insulate again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure