'Justice' system makes me sad and mad!!

Comments

• why are you not allowed to post details you've read in the media?? that makes no sense!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Life is cheap but you support the death penalty?

Yes in the right circumstances. If its really clear someone has done a terrible crime what's the use in housing them in prison for years or thier entire life? Look at Ian Brady. Must have cost hundreds of thousands to keep him locked up. If someone goes round abusing or murdering kids I think its inexcusable.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Batman2017 wrote: »
    why are you not allowed to post details you've read in the media?? that makes no sense!

I don't know for sure what can be posted in terms of discussion if a trial is ongoing that's all. Didn't want the post deleted.
    Here is a link if it helps.

True this is a coroners inquest not a criminal hearing. Even so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5143785/Inside-room-Poppi-Worthington-died.html
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Yes in the right circumstances. If its really clear someone has done a terrible crime what's the use in housing them in prison for years or thier entire life? .

Because mistakes are made. For example the Birmingham Six.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Just to make you aware, the death penalty costs the tax payer far more than life imprisonment.

There are problems with the justice system in the UK but your conclusions are flawed. If the recidivism rates are high, more should be invested in rehabilitation.

I also think it's worth considering his you would want to be treated if you were arrested. No doubt you would want the right to remain silent.

Lastly, the DM is no longer considered a reliable source of information!
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2017 at 9:17AM
    I don't know for sure what can be posted in terms of discussion if a trial is ongoing that's all. Didn't want the post deleted.
    Here is a link if it helps.

True this is a coroners inquest not a criminal hearing. Even so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5143785/Inside-room-Poppi-Worthington-died.html

It's not a trial. I do think when you start a thread about the court system and justice that it's important to know what aspect of it you are talking about.

I also think it's a terrible case and mistakes were certainly made in the early stages, but we have a very good criminal justice system in this country. Not without it's faults, but overall it is fair and just and cautious (as it should be). I would be strongly against the death penalty in this country for many reasons. Some of those reasons:

Mistakes being made and the innocent being executed.
    The state being used as a killing machine.
    Individuals being asked to participate in killing people.
    Asking juries to decide in cases with a possible death penalty.

The US has the death penalty in many states and, from what I've seen, it's not something to aspire to. Prisoners sit on death row for decades, so you get the worst of all possible worlds as they still need feeding and a roof over their heads. The cost of constant appeals over those years must be extortionate too. Surely it's inhumane to condemn a man or woman to death and then let them sit in prison for year after year? They themselves may be inhuman, but the state should be better than that and so should we.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,984 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just to make you aware, the death penalty costs the tax payer far more than life imprisonment.

And your source for this is............?

The death penalty costs nothing in this country as, just to make you aware, we have no death penalty.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would also add that I think this is the wrong forum for this. It has nothing to do with marriage or relationships or families. Maybe the discussion forum would be a better fit.
  • Slinky wrote: »
    And your source for this is............?

The death penalty costs nothing in this country as, just to make you aware, we have no death penalty.
    https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/death-penalty/death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost/

Obviously I wasn't talking about the UK, I presumed in a British forum people would be aware the death penalty didn't exist in the UK (thank goodness) .
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    !!!!!!. Its not a court where he needs to prove his innocence. Its a coroners inquest. Clearly for whatever reason the police or CPS dont consider that he does have any reason to prove anything so i dont know !!!!!! gives you the right to suggest otherwise.

OK, so most people would think its a bit suspect that the guy is just sitting there saying 'no comment' or just nothing at all but there are other perfectly reasonable explanations for this. Its the death of his child. No doubt initially the police dragged him in, locked him up for a few nights and treated him like Satan himself before deciding there really wasnt any evidence he did anything wrong. I think after that i would probably also want to tell every lawyer, policeman, judge etc to just go and f*** themselves so wouldnt cooperate any further with any of it.

Of course, he could also be an evil sack of crap who has just got away with something awful. Problem is trial by the 'offended' masses like yourself isnt much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure